Author Topic: Unable to develop slow/soft breathing  (Read 2448 times)

cumfy

Unable to develop slow/soft breathing
« on: October 30, 2010, 11:12:50 AM »
I am coming back to meditation after 10 years or so.

Previously when I sat, I used to breathe very softly and slowly (just perceptible).
This enabled a very deep meditative experience.

When I now try to reduce my breathing to this level, I get nowhere near. I just have to breathe more deeply.
This is distracting and meditation, just doesn't seem right. :-[

I am much less fit now, and it seems a physiological issue.

Has anybody had similar experience ?

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
Re: Unable to develop slow/soft breathing
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 06:48:55 PM »
cumfry

Most of this will be postural decay and particularly weakness in your back muscles which will not hold the back up as well as when you were younger and therefore does not open the chest and abdomen as much.

You can work on strengthening your back muscles and core stability muscles and fully overcome these issues. Also before you get out of bed in the morning stretch all your limbs and back, and be aware of your posture when standing, walking and sitting in particular - and doubly so if you work in a seated position.

If you do work seated, rearrange your working space so that you can sit upright in the chair without using the back for support. Ankles need to be directly under knees, feet pointing forwards, thighs parallel to the ground (seat hight adjustment) and lower arms also parallel to the ground. Your screen, if you work at a computer, needs to be positioned such that the middle of it is an inch or so below eye height.

In short, paying attention to posture mindfully throughout the day and re-establishing the strength of your back through exercise will bring you back to having an open abdomen and chest and breathing easily.

Meditation can't be taken out of the context of the rest of your life and habits.

Welcome to the forums btw.

Warmly,

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

rideforever

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010, 08:17:38 PM »
it seems a physiological issue.

Has anybody had similar experience ?

Yes I have a similar experience.  My mind is also telling me all the time something is wrong with me !

I am sure your back is not quite how you would like, sorry about that.  But ... the distraction is always in the mind.  Even if you are 100% perfect shape and go to hide in the mountains, the minute you sit down to meditate the mind will be there and it will find 5000 things not to be right !

Morning Dew

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 03:39:25 PM »
Folk  :D let the mind be as it is  ;D the more you react to its ups and downs the more energy it gets from you, the actual you that is.
Please try and see this for yourself. If back hurts then sit on a chair or if you need privacy go into the WC and sit there for an hour calming the body and letting the egoself be what ever it wants to be. Go back to calming the body. The body will kick in with calming hormones that is for sure just keep calming the body.

Meditation is about calming the body and letting the ego do what ever the f..k it wants without reacting to it. Like this the ego cant last very long, because it does needs you to take it serioulsly, SERIOULSY  :P

Meditation is just once or twice per day, what about the rest of your day? Do not make it harder than it is, OK. Soften up a bit, loosen up, shake it off bedore you start sitting  ;D

Friendly  :-*

p.s. rideforever I think I am again clinging to this forum  ::)

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 04:44:22 PM »
Morning Dew,

Meditation is all day every day. Practice is twice a day - in it we ride the waves more deeply, so when we hit them off the cushion we respond to life - instead of reacting.

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Crystal Palace

• "Move on Bhikkus, Move On" - Buddha
    • Thai Forest Tradition
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2010, 05:40:50 PM »

Meditation is all day every day. Practice is twice a day - in it we ride the waves more deeply, so when we hit them off the cushion we respond to life - instead of reacting.

Wonderfully put.

CP
"Abstain from unwholesome actions,
Perform wholesome actions,
Purify your mind"

Buddha

Morning Dew

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2010, 06:55:12 PM »
Yep, that is what i ment just used wrong wording :)
Thanks for correcting me