Author Topic: Women in this forum !!  (Read 9821 times)

Green Tara

• Life is just a bowl of cherries
Women in this forum !!
« on: December 07, 2007, 02:18:04 PM »
I don't won't to start a sexist discussion. I am just curios, why there is hardly any female presence in this forum? not just as members but also taking part in the discussions.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2007, 02:19:00 PM by Green Tara »
"Samsaric beings! Cling not to worldly pleasures.  Enter the great city of liberation”

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
Re: Women in this forum !!
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2007, 02:53:31 PM »
Tara

It is an interesting point I have also noticed. At the moment the ratio of members is 3.3 men to each woman however this is more balanced than when we first opened out doors. It was 4.5 or 5 to 1 for the first month or so. Perhaps it will continue to balance out more as more members join the forum.

I have wondered if this reflects an inbalance between male and female in the population of meditators but I don't think so - certainly not all of it, if any. Part of it may be that more men use the internet and part of it may be that women are more used to confiding in personal friends whereas men quite like the anonymity a forum such as this offers.

Mostly however I think it is just down to "early days" and the numbers will level out as time goes by.

In the meantime - what with me being young(ish), free and single - I heartily encourage you to get all your female friends from all over the world to join whether they meditate or not ;)

In the Dhamma(ish),

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Green Tara

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2007, 03:17:46 PM »

I have wondered if this reflects an inbalance between male and female in the population of meditators

I have wondered that too that is why I asked

In the meantime - what with me being young(ish), free and single - I heartily encourage you to get all your female friends from all over the world to join whether they meditate or not ;)

Trust me if I introduce my single girl friends it will become more of a dating forum then Vipassana one.
"Samsaric beings! Cling not to worldly pleasures.  Enter the great city of liberation”

mettajoey

• If you follow the standard allowable path, you'll get standard allowable results
  • Share the love
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2007, 03:18:28 PM »

Matthew

You just had to throw that in there didn't ya!  ;D
The best type of meditation is the one that you'll do

mettajoey

• If you follow the standard allowable path, you'll get standard allowable results
  • Share the love
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2007, 03:22:06 PM »

Trust me if I introduce my single girl friends it will become more of a dating forum then Vipassana one.

Damn, and you guys are way over there in England... :D

Green Tara

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2007, 03:35:18 PM »
Silentflute, Don't tell me that you too young(ish), free and single.
Am I the only one in this forum who is not young(ish), free and single.
I will probably start a Vipassana dating agency I have lots of single friends to fill the book.

Matthew

• Staff
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2007, 03:48:06 PM »
Time for a "sister" site .... hotvipassanadates.com ??
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Green Tara

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2007, 04:03:24 PM »
Right I will get on with it, thank you TIB for the inspiration. Should I put your name down as my first member ?! I will charge you some metta for the membership.
Silentflute let me know

At the moment the ratio of members is 3.3 men to each woman

I have studied science for over 15 years and still find statistics funny, 3.3:1 would that be a third of a man? Actually if I got it right in the top 10 posters the ratio is 9:1.
It doesn't bother me I am just wondering because in all the practises I have followed except for Paganism the male presence is always the dominant one.

mettajoey

• Share the love
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2007, 04:15:46 PM »
Please sign me up!  :)  I'm sending metta now...

I wonder if TIB has a point about the internet, though.  I asked the question at my retreat and there are typically more women per retreat than men.  But not by a large margin, maybe under 10%.

Matthew

• Staff
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2007, 06:29:01 PM »
I have studied science for over 15 years and still find statistics funny, 3.3:1 would that be a third of a man? Actually if I got it right in the top 10 posters the ratio is 9:1.

Yes .. well ... statistics are basically mathematical lies so that is no surprise ... and 9:1 is because most of the female membership are avowed lurkers ... they are behind the scenes reading what gets written but not posting, which to be clear is not a criticism - anyone is very welcome to do that.

Right I will get on with it, thank you TIB for the inspiration. Should I put your name down as my first member ?! I will charge you some metta for the membership.

Wow. You steal my idea and want to charge me metta? You're one hell of a business woman.

;)

Matthew

ps YES! lol
« Last Edit: December 07, 2007, 06:33:59 PM by The Irreverent Buddhist »

Green Tara

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2007, 08:12:07 PM »

Wow. You steal my idea and want to charge me metta? You're one hell of a business woman.

It is not about who got the idea first; it is about who acts on it first.
beside if I am to convince my single girl friends to join I have got to make sure it is a safe environment.

9:1 is because most of the female membership are avowed lurkers ... they are behind the scenes reading what gets written but not posting, which to be clear is not a criticism - anyone is very welcome to do that.

I wasn't criticising either, I was just making an observation

Matthew

• Staff
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2007, 08:59:42 PM »
Dear Tara

1. I was joking. Sorry - sometimes people seem to find it hard to know when I am.

2 I didn't think you were criticising. As I mentioned, I had observed the same thing - I was thinking about the issue yesterday as it happens.

:) Matthew

Green Tara

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2007, 09:35:17 PM »
Dear Tara

1. I was joking. Sorry - sometimes people seem to find it hard to know when I am.
Oh, never crossed my mind you were serious

Green Tara

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2007, 09:37:20 PM »
sorry Matthew I meant I know you weren't serious in your reply to my post not in general.

Matthew

• Staff
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2007, 11:26:53 PM »
:)

Paul

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2007, 05:42:41 AM »
Am I the only one in this forum who is not young(ish), free and single.
I will probably start a Vipassana dating agency I have lots of single friends to fill the book.

You're not the only one Tara  :)

I note that this topic must have broken the record for the amount of postings received in one day....definitely time for the sister site  ;)

Green Tara

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2007, 12:10:51 PM »
Thank you Paul for the support  :) :) :)

I started this topic because I was reading a book about the place of women in religions.
From my own experience when it comes to finding the truth the male presence is almost always the dominant one. in fact in some practises men hold the knowledge and guard the gate to the truth.
then I remembered I have hardly seen female posts so I asked.
I would love to hear from the sisters in the forum

Stefan

• The Marvellous Omannobazong!!!
  • love is the key
    • Vipassana (Goenka), Freestyle, Family, God
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2007, 01:47:40 PM »
I made two observations:

1) For females the meditation courses in Germany are booked up for many months, but for males it's quite easy to get a place for the next course ... so there are definitely more female meditators who try to do a Vipassana-course.

2) In my opinion we males are more top-heavy (... is this the right expression for: "we are thinking too much" ...?), whereas women have an easy access to intuition that solves a lot of problems for you. We men have to discuss it and discuss it again ...

Metta to you, Stefan
anicca

Green Tara

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2007, 07:50:22 PM »
you are probably right Stefan. Also may be us women worry more than men about our thoughts being judged.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 07:53:56 PM by Green Tara »

Green Tara

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2008, 10:25:20 PM »
Guys I am raising this question again. WHERE ARE THE WOMEN IN THIS FORUM?

Stefan

• love is the key
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2008, 06:41:26 PM »
We can't tell! We're also wondering why they are hiding ...  ;D
but then, I think the male-female-thing is only outwards ... the coat for this life.
So: we are here ... in disguise!
 8) Metta, Stefanie
« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 06:42:29 PM by stefan »
anicca

Green Tara

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2008, 04:15:20 PM »
Hi Stefanie,

I had no idea you are able to shape shift Stefan.
Till I experience the no-self thingy,
I can only believe I am actually a woman.
And a woman for a reason.
So at this stage of my development I don’t buy into the coat idea.

Metta to you Stefan
Metta to you Stefanie
 :D

Stefan

• love is the key
« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2008, 02:16:32 PM »

maybe for you women there's no need to think that way (I read your Tara-story ...). We males are educated to be, you know, males. The biggest Gorilla in the bush. We loose everything that's soft and sensitive when we try to fit into that role. So for me it was also a sort of therapeutic thing to play with the thought of being a female in the next life (or in past lives).

And as a biologist I should add: isn't it interesting that you females have two female chromosomes (XX), but we males have a male AND a female chromosome (XY)?

Metta, Stefan (I think ...)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 07:20:26 PM by stefan »
anicca

spiceant

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2008, 11:48:20 PM »
Us males are defective females as evidenced by our infertility, inferior nurturing abilities and a defective chromosome (The Y Chrommy). Virgin births are possible and have happened rarely (and there isnt much miracelous about it, doesnt take much of a genetic accident to "accidently" clone a women), so we males wouldn't be necessary if all our substance and sex abuse hadn't degenerated us as badly as it did and made our women as infertile as they are that we hardly have any virgin pregnancies anymore.

Furthermore the male population is a bit more stupid as evidenced by our often violent (and as anger expressing fearfull) nature which is often in a perverse parody of truth mistaken for some sort of godly quality. No need to worry about that though, everything is temperory anyway.
Oh you female how i would envy you :-*. Praise the woman, praise the woman, :-* my god my god. Save me save me save me. All fall on their knees for the great women and praise her names a 3 x 108 times, let us burn incense that she may be with us in dire times and repeat name forever that we should not have to lift a single brain cell and never have to do anything for our own enlightenment. (Ofcourse, all of us will do everything for our own enlightenmentments respectively)

Lets not get carried away by the X & Y religion of modern science. 'The world' is divise enough without use of words alone no need to add to it with the abuse of words.

:) this message was posted at the risk of uttering truth. :)

Stefan

• love is the key
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2008, 07:22:31 PM »
hei spiceant ...

... no I don't get it. What are you up to?

Metta, Stefan
anicca