Author Topic: Dana  (Read 5265 times)

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
Dana
« on: December 05, 2007, 01:01:52 PM »
Some of you may have noticed that a "Make A Donation" button has appeared at the foot of the pages. If you click on it you will find an explanation as to why it is there.

In the Dhamma,

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Stefan

• The Marvellous Omannobazong!!!
  • love is the key
    • Vipassana (Goenka), Freestyle, Family, God
Re: Dana
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 08:30:35 PM »
 ??? if I click the "make a donation" button, nothing happens ... except that the number beside it rises ... you are collecting clicks?  ;D
anicca

Flipasso

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 10:11:53 PM »
I've havn't made a donation yet, and I was wondering, how much would you advise each one to give?
If you have trouble making a number (because each one has this much and needs that much) just divide the total a year of vipassanaforum costs by the total number of users.
=)

Paul

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 10:21:54 AM »
Stefan, which browser are you using?  It works OK for me on IE6.

Stefan

• love is the key
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 01:14:26 PM »
Stefan, which browser are you using?  It works OK for me on IE6.

Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.11

(edit: aha, I tried it right now and it worked ... who knows with those PC's, they do what they like)
(reedit: it's some minutes later and again the donation button doesn't work  :P)

I've havn't made a donation yet, and I was wondering, how much would you advise each one to give?
If you have trouble making a number (because each one has this much and needs that much) just divide the total a year of vipassanaforum costs by the total number of users.

I think Dana means " you feel what is right for you, then give it". nobody looks who gave how much, something like that ...
But yes, we could share the forum costs (at least the loonies who sleep in the forum ...). Something like a voluntary membership with costs. If we get maybe ten people together, then it wouldn't be 100 Dollars for one but 10 Dollars each per year.
Matthew ...?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 01:18:30 PM by stefan »
anicca

Stefan

• love is the key
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2008, 01:59:37 PM »
... so it worked again and brought me to the "creditcardsite" ... that's the point in the web where I usually have to stop because I don't have a credit card ... maybe you could send me your IBAN & BIC - Code (via e-mail)  :)
anicca

Flipasso

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2008, 04:06:05 PM »
I was the one who suggested this donation based support of the new vipassanaforum. I stole the idea from www.ld4all.com/forum they work on that basis.
It's kind of like Goenka's retreats. You go there use it and if you think it was positive for you than you donate to keep it going.

peace

Stefan

• love is the key
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2008, 11:01:38 PM »
I love the idea of sharing the costs for the forum. but I'm uneasy with calling that Dana.

Metta
anicca

Flipasso

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2008, 06:53:20 PM »
It may not be Dana from the point of view that we directly benefit from our givings.
But it may also be, because we are keeping something alive that could be beneficial for others.
=) Just a matter of aproach.

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2008, 12:39:12 PM »
I love the idea of sharing the costs for the forum. but I'm uneasy with calling that Dana.

Metta

Dear all,

When Joey and I decided we definitely wanted to relaunch the forum I happily took on all the costs. I treated that as an act of Dana on my part. I definitely think it qualifies as Dana, both what I did and for anyone who wants to throw a coin in the pot.

The reason I opened it up for others to give is that having paid alll the costs I later felt a kind of "hangover" effect of being the "owner" of the site and this left a bad taste in my mouth and not one I wanted.

When I first put the button there Joe and I discussed making a fixed amount, say ten dollars. But actually I decided to treat it differently. Some may find ten dollars a stretch, others may want to donate more. I just thought I leave it open.

If there comes a point where the costs are covered, say for a year in advance, then the button will disappear for a year :)

I will never make and do not want to make a profit from this site (that is both a statement of intent and a promise to you all).

And many, many people are reading our discussions and learning something of the true nature of life as we discover it and share it ..... so even if you personally "profit" from being a member of the forum, have no doubt, Dana it is because there are many more that profit from this manifestation of being from whom we never hear and may never hear a whisper.

In the Dhamma,

Matthew

ps Stefan I hope Paul or Tara have passed on the IBAN no. I won't be publishing it on the site publicly for obvious reasons. Please don't make any donation that represents or creates a hardship for you in your situation (that goes for all).
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Stefan

• love is the key
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2008, 08:44:10 PM »
... unfortunately they didn't send me the BIC-Code, which I also need ... you have my mailing adress.

Metta, Stefan
anicca

Green Tara

• Life is just a bowl of cherries
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2008, 09:59:50 PM »
Matthew didn't know what the BIC-CODE was. he said you only need the IBAN.
"Samsaric beings! Cling not to worldly pleasures.  Enter the great city of liberation”

Stefan

• love is the key
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2008, 06:52:49 PM »
aaah! here the bank stuff insists in the neccessity of the BIC-Code, rrrrrrrrrh  >:(

so tomorrow I'm gonna go there with all data I've got and force them to do their job, or else!

... hei! I used the angry smilie, at last!
anicca

Stefan

• love is the key
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2008, 02:23:54 PM »
So: They need the BIC-Code. IT's also called SWIFT-Code in some countries. Every european bank has one, and they won't do any transferance without that code... if you phone your bank, they will tell you! You'll mail it to me.  :)

Metta, Stefan
anicca