Author Topic: zafu advice  (Read 4435 times)

chris789

zafu advice
« on: October 08, 2010, 07:58:39 AM »
I've been going to a Vipassana for meditations and have been using their buckwheat zafu's.  I wanted to get one for home practice but saw they come in different sizes from 14"x7" to 15"x5.5". I find after awhile my feet fall go num so wanted to see what people would recommend.  I've seen what zafustore.com , dharmacrafts.com , and amazon have and they all seem similarly priced.  I asked at the Vipassana center and the person didn't know since they've had the zafu's since he started.

Thanks,
Chris

rideforever

Re: zafu advice
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 09:18:13 PM »
Well, the advice has got to be for you to try things out and find one that you feel comfortable with. 

If you don't want your legs to fall asleep then you could sit in a chair, or get 2 zafus to sit on, or sit knees forward in seiza posture. 

Personally I have a right leg that always goes to sleep which I don't like and after trying out some zafus I ended up with a 'meditation toadstool' which is a seiza bench with a single centered leg :

http://www.hocuspocus.co.uk/acatalog/Meditation_and_Yoga_Products.html

... there are also triangular meditation cushions that aim to keep the pressure off the blood vessels in your thigh that cause dead legs. 

But you must try them.

kidnovice

• Theravada: with nuts and bolts from Goenka-ji, and fine tuning from Thanissaro Bhikkhu
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 12:22:22 AM »
Hey Chris,

I would definitely think twice about buying a cushion online if you can avoid it--I'm sure the quality would probably be fine, but how will you know if it suits you until you sit on it? If there is anywhere in your area to buy one in person, I would do that. That way you can at least try it out. When I bought my last cushion, a Kapok filled Zafu, I did so at a Japanese shop near my house. The lady had no problem with me plopping down to check it out.

As for the leg falling asleep, there are so many possible culprits (from person to person), its hard to give advice except that you should experiment with different options. For most people, being higher up (i.e., two cushions, or a bigger one) really helps. You also might experiment with having a more narrow point of contact between your butt and the cushion. For example, I had to sit on a rolled-up blanket for years because that was the only way to avoid my sciatic nerve. Try it yourself. If that works for you, you will find that any cushion is fine. All that really matters is getting the height from the cushion (or cement block... it doesn't matter). Really, you're just sitting on the rolled-up  blanket.

And have faith. After seven years of dealing with legs falling asleep, I one day noticed that the problem hadn't popped up in awhile. I tried sitting without the rolled blanket, and its turns out my body finally adjusted. Now, I find that I very rarely have a leg fall asleep, regardless of the cushion or height. I should mention that when my leg does fall asleep, I'm almost always sitting on a buckwheat cushion. I definitely prefer the kapok. Sleeping bags also work great!

metta,
KN
May we cultivate the serenity to accept the things we cannot change; the compassion to change the things we can; and the wisdom to know the difference.

Crystal Palace

• "Move on Bhikkus, Move On" - Buddha
    • Thai Forest Tradition
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 06:52:11 PM »
Is it really necessary to buy expensive zafus for practice? I seem to be doing fine with this.
"Abstain from unwholesome actions,
Perform wholesome actions,
Purify your mind"

Buddha

Crystal Palace

• "Move on Bhikkus, Move On" - Buddha
    • Thai Forest Tradition
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2010, 06:54:39 PM »
PS - I do not use back support nor do I recommend anyone to use back support.

CP
"Abstain from unwholesome actions,
Perform wholesome actions,
Purify your mind"

Buddha