Author Topic: headaches, what's your experience with them?  (Read 4834 times)

dobe

headaches, what's your experience with them?
« on: September 21, 2010, 03:04:18 PM »
I've noticed increased headaches lately.  I wonder if this is a result of my meditating or something else.  What are ya'll's experience with headaches and meditating?

my guess is my head is settling down with my increased meditation, not dealing with so much stimuli.  But then I go to school, have 4 classes in a row, and by the end of the day my head hurts.  So its not used to dealing with so much stimuli. 

Lokuttara

• Trekking the hills of dhamma
    • Vipassanamurti
    • Love cycling into the blue skies and enjoying the first touches of Spring!
Re: headaches, what's your experience with them?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 05:45:32 PM »
Sometimes during meditation I get fairly strong headaches. There might be a lot of tension in the skull, and objectively observing it allows it to be as it is. Not trying to change it. Usually after meditation the headache goes away (might be just sankaras) but I think when you meditate you become more acutely aware of the sensations, so it may just be your heightened awareness of the inner body.

Try to observe it in meditation, aithout dwelling on it too long. See if that helps. Don't try to remove it, just observe.
"One may be surrounded by great beauty, by mountains and fields and rivers, but unless one is alive to it all one might just as well be dead." Krishnamurti

Morning Dew

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 06:02:07 PM »
 I Second lokuttara.
I too get migranes after meditating. I have learned via acupreassure and qigong that pain can be simple healing. Do not take painkillers but do try and sleep it out if possible.
I would always get a headache after acupreassure.

You are healing. In a case this goes fot too long i would check the doc just to make sure it is not something serious but i doubt it :) you r young and strong lad!

kidnovice

• Theravada: with nuts and bolts from Goenka-ji, and fine tuning from Thanissaro Bhikkhu
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 08:28:49 PM »
...But then I go to school, have 4 classes in a row, and by the end of the day my head hurts.

Hmmm. I wonder what could be causing the headaches? :) Since you aren't actually experiencing them during or immediately after your meditation, it really might not be related to your practice at all.

As someone who doesn't have many headaches, and certainly nothing severe like a migraine, I've often noticed that the types of headaches I experience don't obstruct my meditation at all. In fact, when I have a headache, meditating is about the only thing I want to do! In a strange way, I feel like I can get pretty concentrated in the midst of them. Its weird.

All that stimuli probably is involved in your headaches, but I would suggest that you then try to bring as much awareness as possible to in the midst of the stimuli.  What parts of your body are tensing up in class? Is anything frustrating you? (even minor stuff) Is your mind chattering constantly to the lecture, or are you sometimes able to just quietly listen? How is your posture when sitting in those awesome class-room seats?

Here are some other mundane tips that I find useful:

1) Getting enough water?
2) Getting enough food?
3) Are there any back muscles tweaked out? This is a big culprit for me. Regularly stretching, some massage on the neck and back of head... makes a big difference.
4) Too much caffeine? Or not enough? (depending on the state of your addiction!)

Good luck,
KN

May we cultivate the serenity to accept the things we cannot change; the compassion to change the things we can; and the wisdom to know the difference.

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 09:41:24 PM »
I've noticed increased headaches lately.  I wonder if this is a result of my meditating or something else.  What are ya'll's experience with headaches and meditating?

my guess is my head is settling down with my increased meditation, not dealing with so much stimuli.  But then I go to school, have 4 classes in a row, and by the end of the day my head hurts.  So its not used to dealing with so much stimuli. 

dobe,

You are not drinking enough water. Take a 1 litre bottle of water to school and drink it during class. Drink another litre outside of class.

Your headaches will go away.

Warmly,

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

dobe

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 03:36:15 AM »
ya kidnovice, when I get these headaches, i just want to close my eyes and just watch my breathing, and that helps.  I quit caffeine.  I'm sick of all of my addictions.  I think you and TIB are on to something though about not enough water.  I bet thats the culprit.  I'm going to start drinking more and we'll see how that helps.

again I appreciate the responses!

dobe

Vivek

• Staff
    • Advaita & U Ba Khin's tradition
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 05:40:39 AM »
What are ya'll's experience with headaches and meditating?
I have been suffering from Sinusitis since childhood and even now I have episodes of head-aches. The diference I now perceive is that the head-ache does not last for more than a few days and I don't take any medication at all. Another thing is that even though the head-ache starts from the time I wake up, by the time I finish the morning meditation, the pain becomes significantly less and manageable. It's only recently when I consulted a physician for another issue, and she said after check-up that I have a deviated nasal septum, which is causing blockage and that is why the head-aches could be recurring now and then. I think the key is to just observe the pain and not to react to it.
Let's go beyond this illusion, shall we?

MEDITAT0R

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 09:26:31 AM »
Hi,
do your eyes move when you meditate?
This could create tension which leads to headache.

Best wishes

dobe

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2010, 03:53:09 PM »
hey vivek,

I have had a cold past 4 days with head/sinus congestion , and Ive noticed my headaches have increased.  This malady is probably adding to my headaches, but I think i remember getting little headaches before my cold.  I woke up this morning with a headache and blocked up nose.  I'm drinking a lot now and it seems to be helping.  time to meditate ;)

Vivek

• Staff
    • Advaita & U Ba Khin's tradition
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2010, 06:23:40 AM »
May the headache help you progress in your practice, my friend. :)
Let's go beyond this illusion, shall we?

atalero

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2010, 03:44:40 PM »
Yes, I experience headaches more frequently now as well.  A dull pressure in my head, which leads to headaches, and general dizziness for few seconds.  This usually happens not right after meditation, but during and later on inthe day.  Usually after work, or thereabouts.

dobe

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2010, 08:06:48 PM »
yay im not alone!

btw, drinking more liquids has helped a lot so far ;)

Matthew

• Staff
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2010, 12:33:04 AM »
dobe,

Water intake is essential to clarity of mind. Most of the body including the brain is made of water. It needs changing on a frequent basis.

Nomad, how many litres of water do you drink per day and how many caffeine drinks (coffee etc)?

M
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

atalero

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2010, 01:56:43 PM »
I drink about 4 litres a day, but also drink about two - three cups of coffee a day, so that may be the culprit.  Coffee has definitely become an addiction.

I have also noticed my jaw tightening A LOT more!  Some days are better than others, and this morning during meditation was all about some jaw tension, and monkey mind for pretty much the full 45 minutes of meditation.  Could have had something to do with visiting family the night before.  Memories really swimming around in my head, and I am attempting to notice them, but not attach.  It's just hard sometimes.  ALL times  :).

Morning Dew was right when she said that every time you sit it's starting over.  I Can't take my practice for granted, but am very grateful for the progress in my day to day life; a fringe benefit.  I guess I was expecting peace of mind and my meditation pratcie is not about that right now.  It's digging up a lot of stuff (some good, some bad, some mundane), but I am not zen master on mountain top, which I think my ego would love.

This forum is awesome by the way!  I am pretty new at this and get a little scared and discouraged, so it's good to see others go through it as well.

Morning Dew

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2010, 06:31:49 PM »
I too started meditating to silence the mind and it was frustrating when mind kept chattering on and on. But  i came to understand actualy while in meditation that it is not about concentration or silencing the mind since all these require the ego self. Instead it is about calming the body and observing all that is as it is not adding nor taking away. It is about getting to know the actual self which will calm down when the body calms down.
Stress hormones are taken for granted as a normal part of life and thanks to it we live the way we do.

Our Body aint stupid. Our body is a complexed yet simple universe which can heal it self if given the chance.
Mindful calm abiding my friend :)
Focus on nothing. Do still ur eye balls and recognise when the inner eye (via eye balls) scan while imagening scenarios and still them again and again. Be kind towaeds ur self. This is a passing stage mate.
Do not focus on the eye balls just keep them still and relaxed. From there sense the whole body on a subtle level. Do not work too hard in meditation. Let the body have chance to release dopamine and serotonin.

And i am not a she mate. Last time i looked down into my pants i was 100% a He lol ;)

Matthew

• Staff
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2010, 01:29:44 AM »
Coffee won't be the culprit at 4 cups a day. More likely you are trying too hard when meditating and not relaxing into calm by focussing on the body and calming the body.

M

ps Morning Dew .. it's the cute cat avatar :D

Morning Dew

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2010, 06:44:03 AM »
ps Morning Dew .. it's the cute cat avatar

Ok ! Avatar changed then ;)

Relaxed joker!

Edit;
Btw, if i even take one cup of coffee i start sweathing and feeling
Preasure in my head. The same happens with black english tea.
Green tea is by far the best you can get. I do the chinese original Gun Powder ;)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 06:51:54 AM by Morning Dew »

atalero

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2010, 09:00:18 PM »
Haha, I am suprsed my comment sparked the change of avatar.  Sorry Morning, typo.

Thanks for the comments.  Yes, trying too hard is definitelya biggie with me.  Letting it go, bit by bit.

kidnovice

• Theravada: with nuts and bolts from Goenka-ji, and fine tuning from Thanissaro Bhikkhu
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2010, 10:02:07 PM »
Four cups of coffee a day would definitely give me a headache! 
I love caffeine, but by the fourth cup, I'd be seriously cracked out.  :o
May we cultivate the serenity to accept the things we cannot change; the compassion to change the things we can; and the wisdom to know the difference.

Matthew

• Staff
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2010, 08:39:36 AM »
I used to drink about 15 cups of fresh coffee a day and three cans of coke. No headaches til I decided to stop. Went cold turkey and within 5 hours I was vomiting and had migraine. I was ill for two days.

What you are used to makes a difference..