Author Topic: "Success" stories?  (Read 2853 times)

hodgepodge

"Success" stories?
« on: September 13, 2010, 07:20:45 PM »
Hey everyone, I'm a longtime part-time meditator (i.e. have had a very hard time developing a consistent meditation practice) and am glad that I've found this forum.  I've dug myself into a pretty big, numb, scary hole over the last 10 years or so and know that I need to put some effort into digging myself out of it--well, I suppose I need to put in a lot of effort in order to dig myself out. 

I was hoping to hear from some of the more experienced people here on their journey thus far, particularly in how they feel their practice has "helped" them.  I feel like i could really use some stories to motivate me and keep me motivated when my need for immediate results and aversion to boredom, suffering, etc. rear their ugly heads. 

I should also add that I've put "success" and "helped" in quotation marks because I know there's something subtly misguided about seeing one's spiritual practice/journey as some linear, goal-based endeavor with some sort of permanent state of being at the end of it all (as if there is an end to it all), and that pining for such states of being is yet another attachment!  I feel I'm rambling a bit here but hopefully my point is somewhat clear--this stuff can be so nuanced!

So yes, ahem.  Success stories?  Anyone care to share about where they started, their journey, how they feel "better" or "different" at this point?  Thanks for reading and potentially sharing.  I'm glad to be part of this forum. 

Morning Dew

Re: "Success" stories?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 09:11:26 PM »
Hallo again my friend :)

If you will you can go through my Shamatha thread and see for your self how im developing :)

Beware though ;) there is lots of crap laying around in there lol
http://www.vipassanaforum.net/forum/index.php/topic,711.0.html

Remain relaxed MD

boe

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 07:15:37 PM »
i'm still cleaning up a lot of bad karma i received from the world,
and bad karma i created too ofcourse.

even though i'm not quite where i want to be yet,
i feel a lot better than before.

and even though the process of becoming a buddha sometimes makes me feel like i lost all "security blankets", and also makes me feel a bit "insane" sometimes... i think this is just part of the road of recovery.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 07:18:42 PM by boe »

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2010, 12:50:51 PM »
Just keep sitting. And relax.

M
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

mediking

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 06:10:11 PM »
meditation helps me feel a lot more optimistic and positive about life - like never before

I feel more calm, happy, contented and am more productive in my work

in fact, I believe I am meditating 24 hours a day - as I always try to keep continuous focus. Momentary living and living in the present whilst refining the thoughts has helped me considerably