Author Topic: Does anyone else practice like this?  (Read 3981 times)

Paul

Does anyone else practice like this?
« on: December 03, 2007, 01:46:16 PM »
Like a few people said in another topic, practising is about what works for you.  Lately I've been doing this: you remain mindful of breath for about 20 minutes, until the mind is calmed, then just open up and let whatever happens happen.  I've found this incredibly insightful, its like various feelings come knocking at the door and you let them in, and just stay with them until they pass, and recognize them.  The difficult part is staying with one feeling at a time, instead of just jumping to that which is always the strongest, as well as actually opening the door, you don't naturally want to let all the feelings in.  Does anyone else meditate like this? 

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
Re: Does anyone else practice like this?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 04:32:26 PM »
Usually. I always maintain a focus on the breath. "Rest in what arises without fabrication" is the Rosetta-Stone of meditation. Really that one phrase sums it all up and if taken into practice as you are doing quickens progress on the path like no other teaching. Be careful not to fall into fabrication. That is the tough bit.

In the Dhamma,

Matthew
« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 04:34:30 PM by The Irreverent Buddhist »
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Paul

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 10:03:42 AM »
Be careful not to fall into fabrication. That is the tough bit.
Matthew

Ah!  yes I'd noticed that.  Sometimes I'm really not sure if I'm opening to something or amplifying it or even adding interpretation to it.  I know you have a long experience in meditation - if you have any advise on how to avoid fabrication I'd be really grateful!

mettajoey

• If you follow the standard allowable path, you'll get standard allowable results
  • Share the love
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 01:04:47 PM »
I typically start with anapana because I sometimes put too much pressure on myself with vipassana practice, but then it starts on it's own anyway.

These days of late I suffer with the illusions that I actually know something.  Or better yet, realizing that I really don't know anything at all.  I fought that, then figured out it was actually a healthy thing.  It's one thing to know what my stuff is and try and figure out a strategy to overcome and completely another to have it hit you experientially and accept what is...and let it go.
Giving in to this surrender and letting go of my old self to accept this path or fate, and what it wants, is scary to me.
The best type of meditation is the one that you'll do

Matthew

• Staff
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2007, 01:39:59 PM »
if you have any advise on how to avoid fabrication I'd be really grateful!

I always maintain a focus on the breath.

Breathing can't be fabricated.
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Paul

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2007, 01:56:24 PM »
Joey, that's why I prefer just letting things come, like you I put too much effort into body sweeps (if I understood correctly) and spend most of my time concentrating on doing the sweeps instead of really experiencing.  I guess its just a matter that diferent methods suit different people, I've seen from this ite that body sweeps work really well for most people.

When you say letting go of your old-self, that is scary but I'm not sure that what we're doing that.  Aren't we more just learning to live with ourselves, be intimate with our anger, fear etc. so we can live more fully?  The craving and aversion will maybe go, but as we're not craving and aversion and think life will be OK without these......

Matthew, you mean staying focused on the breath and let the other things arise and pass away in background?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 01:57:50 PM by Paul »

Matthew

• Staff
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2007, 08:39:42 AM »
Matthew, you mean staying focused on the breath and let the other things arise and pass away in background?

Paul

I would not make the same solid distinction between foreground and background as you do. That seems to be a form of fabrication, potentially. I would rather say that one can maintain equal attention on breath, body and thoughts, all in the foreground but with the breath as the anchor that brings you back to now when the body/mind draw you away from now out of habit.

Matthew

Paul

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2007, 01:11:59 PM »
Thanks Matthew, I understand what you mean very clearly. 

yadidb

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2007, 01:15:56 PM »
Hi Paul,

From my understanding,

It is also helpful to practice the way you do,
although Goenka replied to this by saying that if you just sit and observe whatever comes up as opposed to doing body sweeps, you will not train your mind to feel the subtlest sensations and the mind will remain unable to feel these very subtle sensations.

Matthew

• Staff
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2007, 01:23:56 PM »
although Goenka replied to this by saying that if you just sit and observe whatever comes up as opposed to doing body sweeps, you will not train your mind to feel the subtlest sensations and the mind will remain unable to feel these very subtle sensations.

Yadidb

There is a slightly different emphasis in the route to training the mind with this meditation but the key lays in the single phrase "rest in whatever arises without fabrication". When one can achieve this meditation one progresses very quickly at exhausting "kleshas" or defilements. It is a true combination of Shamatha and Vipassana that exhausts the traces of conditioning through letting them be without interference, hinderence or addition of any kind. It is a fast route to cleaning out the mind and creates strong Samadhi. For this reason one does arrive at subtle sensations - as gross sensations quickly exhaust the minds' habitual clinging towards them, and the conditioning behind them.

In the Dhamma,

Matthew

Paul

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2007, 01:48:15 PM »
I guess the best thing to do would be open-mindedly try both methods; I'm hoping to FINALLY get on a 10-day Goenka retreat next year.  I guess I can't judge to what extent I notice the subtle sensations now because I don't know which ones I'm not even aware of....but even having become intimate with some of the grosser ones like fear, and a kind of sorrow that had followed me since as long as I can remember has had a life-transforming effect.  Day-to-day mindfulness is really underrated though!