Author Topic: Mindfulness Meditation Increases Well-Being in Adolescent Boys, Study Finds  (Read 2751 times)

Vivek

• Advaita & U Ba Khin's tradition
I have come across number of studies on meditation in general, but, this one is an attention-grabber for Vipassis, since, it talks about Mindfulness, specifically. Read about it here: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/09/100901111720.htm
Let's go beyond this illusion, shall we?

Morning Dew

Re: Mindfulness Meditation Increases Well-Being in Adolescent Boys, Study Finds
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 11:39:44 AM »
That is good news :)

The only thingy i would not encourage kids to do is this;
and were encouraged to listen to a CD or mp3 file for eight minutes a day. These exercises are intended to improve concentration and reduce stress.

Vivek

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 06:23:47 AM »
I concur, MD. What strikes me about the study is that, even though the specifics of the program could have much variance from what we would expect in a Vipassana retreat, just by adding the element of mindfulness, viz., observing the reality within oneself moment-to-moment, how much of a difference that has made in the performance as well as well-being of the subjects, as the study points out. Food for thought. :) 

Copey

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 11:19:41 AM »
Fascinating. Once again another story of just how beneficial mindfulness can be. Meditation can only be a good thing for the youth of today and if it were introduced into all schools it would do nothing but enhance the overall positivity in society. I really do hope that one day meditation will be a standard part of the school curriculam. I don't think it is an understatement to say that it could potentially change the world. And who knows? Maybe the government will one day take the step of introducing mindfulness into schools. I hope so.  :)

Vivek

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 11:48:43 AM »
What a great thing to wish for, Copey. I hope your wish comes true. :)

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 09:31:10 AM »
.... it were introduced into all schools it would do nothing but enhance the overall positivity in society. ....

This is my current principal project. Not just in schools. I have been asked to bring a program of mindfulness and self-awareness, compassion and understanding aimed at an entire urban population of > 1/4 million people.

The programs we are designing will be free cost at delivery using the internet to deliver the materials needed to teach this. They will be available free to anyone worldwide.

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Mungo

• Shamatha
    • Smiling Politely
I have been trying to find out more about this as well. We are way behind the times here in Australia. The "powers that be" are still bickering and debating about religious education in schools and whether to introduce an ethics class. I recently downloaded a pdf but cant remember exactly where from. It is called mindfulness for children. There has been a lot of discussion in the media in regards to attendance levels and violent behaviour etc in schools here. I realise it is a huge complicated problem but we seem to "patch it up" with punishment and prescription drugs rather than finding the root of the problem. As a society (generally) we are quite happy to sit back and let the internet and tv babysit our kids and as far as education goes "thats the teachers job" is the common catchcry. Its not an easy fix but we should be working towards a more self autonomous society rather than sitting back, getting fat and pointing the finger at authority.
You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep