Author Topic: ..Fear of death is the background of the whole thing..  (Read 2627 times)

idud

..Fear of death is the background of the whole thing..
« on: August 12, 2010, 11:55:41 AM »
"Giving up hope is encouragement to stick with yourself, to make friends with yourself, to not run away from yourself, to return to the bare bones, no matter what's going on. Fear of death is the background of the whole thing. It's why we feel restless, why we panic, why there's anxiety. But if we totally experience hopelessness, giving up all hope of alternatives to the present moment, we can have a joyful relationship with our lives, an honest, direct relationship, one that no longer ignores the reality of impermanence and death."

Pema Chodron, when things fall apart (ch07)

unlikelybdst

Re: ..Fear of death is the background of the whole thing..
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 02:54:25 PM »
What about you guys - do you fear death?

Long before I started learning about Buddhism I thought about death. For a long time now I've viewed it as a binary thing, like light bulb being turned off - my consciousness would go blank and my "self" would cease to exist. So for as long as I can remember myself, I never really feared death.

Now, while reading books on Buddhism (especially Tibetan), and seeing how everybody emphasizes it, I'm wondering if I'm missing something...

idud

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 04:35:14 PM »
Hi,

In my opinion,
Still remain some fear to death inside us, it is our survival instict. If we apply it to thoughts, mind tries to save us from a bad future.

For a dog may be only fear of death will arise when somebody will try to kick them. Instead, for us, it will arise if we thing we are going to fail in a competition and that could be damage for our ego and the ego could be die.

May be the die of ego it is what we have fear of. If we die we'll lose all what we think we are, our "I" concept.

That's why death s behind our thoughts to prevent the falling of the ego.

Regards,

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 06:26:34 AM »

May be the die of ego it is what we have fear of. If we die we'll lose all what we think we are, our "I" concept.

That's why death s behind our thoughts to prevent the falling of the ego.

Very true.
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~