Author Topic: Ear plugs while meditating  (Read 14303 times)

VancitySean

Ear plugs while meditating
« on: June 27, 2010, 07:50:39 AM »
Hello every one,

Just signed up this forum, and i have a quick question,

i am curious to know what you think of using ear plugs while meditating?

i live in a noisy area and have roommates, who some times come and talk near where i
meditate.

i feel i go alot deeper when i meditate with earplug, your thoughts please

many thanks in advance

sean

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
Re: Ear plugs while meditating
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2010, 08:57:22 AM »
Welcome to the forum but please - use the search function .... try searching for ear plugs and see what people have said before.

Ideally one takes oneself to a secluded place to meditate. Earplugs are not a great idea but if you can not find a secluded peaceful place they are a way around it.

M
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Morning Dew

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2010, 09:24:49 AM »
I did use earplugges for a while when I just started with Shamatha. I was still very much agitated in within so everything iritated me a lot. I too live in a busy area workers rebuilding a near by building, neighbour has a screaming bird, etc ...

The more I meditated the less agitated I was when it comes to sounds even people talking. I was out doors yesterday sitting for half an hour in the park near by, lots of people playing and BBQing around, seagulls squiching yet I could sit without feeling any sort of agitation.

Secluded place is inside of you not out side of you but one has to develope certain calm before feeling it this way.
Yes go with the pluggs until you feel you can discard them. Meditation is indeed a DIY practice and one has to surf it in your own way.

It is summer out side why not try and sit in a park under a tree for an hour and see how it feels :-) you might discover a genious!
Once we understand that we are part of all that is going on around us it gets easier with all that sound, but yes some sound is more agitating than others at this time in my life.

Remain relaxed

Crystal Palace

• "Move on Bhikkus, Move On" - Buddha
    • Thai Forest Tradition
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, 09:27:03 AM »
Dear VancitySean,

Welcome to the forums!

As Matthew says, ear plugs are not a great idea. Tolerate the noise levels as much as you can, and when you think you have absolutely reached the limit, use the ear plugs - but only as a last resort.

Warmly,
Crystal Palace
"Abstain from unwholesome actions,
Perform wholesome actions,
Purify your mind"

Buddha

VancitySean

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 04:41:34 AM »
thanks for your responses,

reason i used it is that i had alot more concentration when i do use them
and i feel i can feel my sensations alot more.

I am curious whether if i use earplugs am i still purify my mind?

In other words, which method, earplugs or no earplugs Purifys my mind more.

I think i got my answer though which is to go without the earplugs.

thanks again

and ill use the search first the next time

Vivek

• Staff
    • Advaita & U Ba Khin's tradition
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2010, 07:03:01 AM »
In other words, which method, earplugs or no earplugs Purifys my mind more
VancitySean, ear-plugs/no ear-plugs has very little relevance as far as your practice is concerned. IMO, external aids are secondary as far as the the path is concerned. The main aspects to focus are Sila, Samadhi and Pannya. Keep your focus there and strive not to bother much about the other things. As other posters have pointed out, utilise even those things that disgusts/disturbs you, as aids to progressing in your path. When I began my practice, I used to feel particularly annoyed because of the heat (I live in a tropical region) when I sit for meditation. I then decided to observe why I lose my balance because of this. After some practice, it became obvious that it was due to the sensations and my reaction to them. Over time, this had become a trivial issue for me. I am not saying this is a great thing and all, it's just an instance to point out how we can utilise even little "disturbing" external stimuli as aids to progressing in the path. I hope this makes sense to you.
Let's go beyond this illusion, shall we?

Lokuttara

• Trekking the hills of dhamma
    • Vipassanamurti
    • Love cycling into the blue skies and enjoying the first touches of Spring!
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 11:29:39 PM »
I think you should use ear-plugs to go deeper.

Why do people go to silent places to meditate? Why do retreats take place in centres that are in the country, away from most noises? It's because it simply allows you to go deeper and develop equanimity to deeper emotions, not the gross reality that surrounds you. While this type of practise is also useful, I think theres a reason why most meditation masters attained enlightenment in caves and forests. The type of vibrations there were from nature, or else it was totally silent. We live in a world filled with noise, and with artificial vibrations that don't help us to go deeper in meditation.

Yes, I think a few meditation sessions where one is being equanimous with outer, cacophonous sounds is helpful, even essential, on the path. But for a daily practice, silence is important for serious work. Without any aversion to the outer noises, use earplugs if necessary. I do it everyday simply because my housemate is addicted to TV and switches it on the minute she comes in the door. Now, I can meditate equanimously, with no problems, with that noise in the background (I've done it numerous times). But I just don't go as deep. So using earplugs is a no brainer, and it like stepping into my own silent meditation hall. I can't see any real reasons why you wouldn't use them :)
"One may be surrounded by great beauty, by mountains and fields and rivers, but unless one is alive to it all one might just as well be dead." Krishnamurti

rideforever

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 06:44:20 PM »
Well I can tell you that I was so intolerant of noise a few years back, meditation was impossible - not killing someone was almost impossible.

So whatever you need to get you through the first stages is fine, and experiment trying without over time ... and when you can drop them.

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~