Author Topic: How do I know if I am gaining true insight into my mind?  (Read 1655 times)

Peace Love and Light

How do I know if I am gaining true insight into my mind?
« on: June 22, 2010, 10:08:36 AM »
I'm not sure if this question will entirely make sense, but anyway,

Sometimes when I'm meditating (not usually), I achieve a level of concentration where I'm actually able to notice every thought that enters my mind, and then after each thought that I notice, I usually notice another thought, the second thought being the observation that I noticed the first thought, and so on, so I end up seeing a chain of thoughts, but I'm able to just let each one go by, almost like I'm traveling though an endless tunnel of thoughts.

Usually after maintaining this level of concentration for several minutes, I start to notice various patterns in my mind such as automated reactions to certain emotions, tendencies to identify with certain thoughts if they appear as they would if I were saying them etc...basically I start noticing all these things about my mind that I had never noticed before. I've also noticed that after I'm done meditating, I feel that I am less controlled by my habits, and am able to procrastinate less (I have a big problem with this).

My question is: is this what is meant be "insight"? Is my meditation heading in the right direction?

Thanks, to everyone on this message board.

Morning Dew

Re: How do I know if I am gaining true insight into my mind?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 02:47:57 PM »
I think you are doing great my friend :)
"right insight" is just a big fancy word not the thing it self. The thing it self is rather unnameable and experiental imo.
Do not chase after your thoughts, do not intelectualise since that you call insight comes from the actual, do calm you body and do not breath shallow when on the or off the cussion.

Others might have more experianced thoughts.

Remain relaxed