Author Topic: Song stuck in head?  (Read 5668 times)

joe19

Song stuck in head?
« on: June 01, 2010, 08:59:36 PM »
Hey All,

This question may sound odd but I was curious if long time practitioners still get songs stuck in their heads? When stressed I find I get songs stuck in my head *all* day, it’s never ending (and annoying). Just started to meditate and was curious :)

Cheers,

convivium

Re: Song stuck in head?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 09:30:39 PM »
this will happen but over the years the songs should get better and better till they go away... or maybe the more you meditate the better your taste in music becomes till you listen to less of it or react to it in different way.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 09:56:09 PM by Convivium »

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 10:14:45 PM »
Joe,

If I keep my practice up regularly everything improves.

If I let my practice drop everything falls apart.

If I hold my motivation in mind then all is well.

If I let my motivations get lost then I get lost.

Welcome to meditation - and to the forum.

Warmly,

Matthew

ps The songs will stop if you don't.
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Morning Dew

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 08:03:57 AM »
Hallo joe19  :)
and welcome on board!

I also have this same issue happening while sitting in meditation, and not just that I also have full blown conversations from DVDs I have seen  ;D

This is just a fact which teaches me that my mind is very conditioned indeed  :D  and this is a good start in meditation practice.

Keep it up!

Crystal Palace

• "Move on Bhikkus, Move On" - Buddha
    • Thai Forest Tradition
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 02:52:51 PM »
My dear friend Joe,
Im sure you already know,
But its worth repeating,
Advice i find interesting,

When i sit i let it be,
What i walk i let it be,
When the mind plays tricks i let it be,
When the mind does not play tricks i let it be,

I grasp at nothing,
I resist nothing,
When the songs keeps playing i accept it,
When the songs don't stop i dont reject it,

Its just a refusal of the mind to quiten down,
But why must I frown?
For the mind has been running wild for ages,
Been trapping me in mental cages,

Now is the moment to reverse,
This mental habit that has become perverse,
So i accept the song with patience,
And find that it leads me to great pleasance,

Shantideva has pointed out with great guidance,
There is no virtuous practice greater than patience,
I will now sign off warmly,
You can call me crystal palace(y)  ;)

"Abstain from unwholesome actions,
Perform wholesome actions,
Purify your mind"

Buddha

Matthew

• Staff
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 08:09:59 PM »
Good to see you back Crystal :)
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

joe19

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2010, 06:00:31 PM »
Thanks for the responses, I'll keep at it. Great Poem! :)

darklord06

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2010, 09:24:48 PM »
I also have the same problem with songs playing in my head in loops, usually when I sit they stop but as soon as I resume my daily activities they are back.
This can be really annoying at times, especially when i am trying to concentrate, the poem that has been posted does indeed put things into perspective but i feel like my problem is deeper than that.
Even when I try to just let it go, it keeps playing in my head, greatly diminishing my concentration abilities, on top of that, lately I have lost almost all pleasure for the things i used to like doing, i can barely appreciate music anymore, when i do sports i don't feel anything, having a history of depression (but i stopped taking meds 2 years ago) this is really starting to worry me, i feel like i am a complete mess and whatever i try (try to let it pass, try to analyze it, chunks by chunks....) is useless
And matthew, I also tried to follow your advice and practice Shamatha but unfortunately I haven’t seen any improvement so far, I feel more and more disconnected from the outside world and I don’t see a way out, when I sit everything is relatively ok but as soon as go to the outside world, the very same awfull patterns reproduce themselves in my mind.
Even if I am fully conscious of this activity of my mind and I can clearly see their cycles, I just can’t stop them and whether I try to stop them or not, they are equally horrible to me.

In brief, I am starting to feel completely hopeless.

kidnovice

• Theravada: with nuts and bolts from Goenka-ji, and fine tuning from Thanissaro Bhikkhu
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2010, 12:06:04 AM »
Maybe listening to this awesome radio-show might help? Here is a link where you can listen or download: RadioLab Episode: Pop Music  Its not buddhist, and I don't think it tells you the "trick" to making the songs stop.But it really is cool. At the very least, it may help you cultivate a sense of fascination with the phenomenon. And you never know. Being genuinely interested in the experience may be all you need to create the "space" that allows you to watch it arise, and then let it go.

Radiolab totally rocks. :)
May we cultivate the serenity to accept the things we cannot change; the compassion to change the things we can; and the wisdom to know the difference.

Morning Dew

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2010, 07:37:45 AM »
Pooring more mud into the alrady mudied mind will not sort the issue  ;D it is quite simple this one is. I stopped playing music in the car on my way to work and I stopped playing music when home, so well no music except when my wife listen to it which is not often and usualy conected wth TV. Even here we have a deal to use the head phones bacause I do not want to listen to TV while reading a book or similar.

It is same with trying to silence thoughts by adding more thoughts every day into the game  ;D

Live simple life instead, like a tree, like a cow, like a bird ... I bet you they do not get songs stuck in their head  ;D

I just can’t stop them
I also tried to follow your advice
and whatever i try (try to let it pass, try to analyze it, chunks by chunks....)

Hi darklord06,
do not try my friend  :) simply be. Of course it is not easy understanding how one can Simply Be in this world of crazyness but get into it by letting go and observing the phenomena of your own thought pattern by simply sitting with your own self and relaxing your body.
You are not going anywhere via meditation  :) all you might realise is that you are where you actualy are.
Trying is time limited realy. Do not try but just sit and observe for your self (not because Matthew sais or anyone else) how you are the one sitting still, that you are also the one mind shooting out various thought scenarious at the same time while the one you is sitting still TRYING to achive stillness  :)
At the end this might look funny to you, it did to me LoL  ;D
Trying to become, to be, to do, is not bring any fruits. Instead understand that your mind is a separate entity leading it's own artificial life while dragging you a long  :)
That mind needs you to take it seriously otherwise it will have no energy to live on it's own. Thougts have no other energy but yours. Thoughts are like viruses.
The only way to stop feeding them with your own energy is by not getting carried by them (e.g. I try to, I worry, I am afraid, I am anrgy) instead SEE them as they are by bringing your mind closer to your body. Body-Mind is very importnat to unite.
You will not get far by intelectualising this issue too much. So what if the storm is happening, wait it out by sitting patiently in Shamatha  :) Everything is impermanent so is this issue of yours.

Remain relaxed  :)

Crystal Palace

• "Move on Bhikkus, Move On" - Buddha
    • Thai Forest Tradition
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2010, 10:35:15 AM »

Pooring more mud into the alrady mudied mind will not sort the issue  ;D

Indeed.

Warmly,
Crystal Palace
"Abstain from unwholesome actions,
Perform wholesome actions,
Purify your mind"

Buddha

kidnovice

• Theravada: with nuts and bolts from Goenka-ji, and fine tuning from Thanissaro Bhikkhu
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2010, 04:04:43 AM »
Man, you are all missing out! For what its worth, that radio show I linked is not "music" (another song to get stuck in the head). Rather, its a discussion/report on the phenomenon of "getting a song stuck in your head." Seriously, that's what its about... for an entire hour! Through different interviews, the hosts of the show study this phenomenon through the perspective of anthropology, psychology, philosophy, and neuroscience. Its fascinating stuff. Still, I promise not to be offended if you decide to skip it. :)

Nonetheless, there was another point I was trying to make, which is this: often, when we experience something unpleasant, and we try to make it stop, the ironic consequence is that it becomes amplified by our own aversion. This is especially true in meditation, where one's awareness is heightened (and not necessarily one's equanimity). The more you want the inner-songs to stop, the more frequent they will become.

One antidote that often works for me is to become genuinely interested in the experience itself. This spirit of "fascination" usually allows me to see the experience in a way that eventually dissolves it naturally. Studying about a phenomenon through a scientific perspective can sometimes be a helpful way to cultivate that spirit of curiosity.

With metta,
KN

May we cultivate the serenity to accept the things we cannot change; the compassion to change the things we can; and the wisdom to know the difference.

darklord06

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2010, 06:47:02 PM »
last week i have worked a lot more on practicing Shamatha while sitting and in my daily life and so far i have seen (or heard :) ) a dramatic decrease of those songs playing in my head, I'm even starting to enjoy music again (on some level).
the thing is that lately i have just realized how generally anxious I am all the time and how it limits me in a lot of ways, I think i made an important discovery about myself (not really a discovery, more like an understanding of how much it affects me).
Maybe it's too early to tell, anyways, i just wanted to vent :)

Matthew

• Staff
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2010, 06:07:46 AM »
darklord,

Vent! lol

Keep at it with the Shamatha. Start remembering how you feel when practising and try to return to that sense on the spot when troubled.

Warmly,

Matthew