Author Topic: Which branch of yoga?  (Read 1307 times)

Joe

Which branch of yoga?
« on: May 19, 2010, 01:58:41 PM »
Hello, all.

I'd like to try yoga, but I'm confused by the different branches.

I've been reading books by Ajahn Chah, Aahn Sumedho and other Thai forest monks, but I've never heard any mention of yoga. Any idea which type of yoga would best complement the thai forest tradition?

Thanks, Joe.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 02:01:49 PM by Joe »

TomThumb

Re: Which branch of yoga?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 10:02:27 PM »
I have tried several types, from basic Hatha through Iyenga y Power, but I am currently doing Kundalini yoga and am very pleased. It is very adapted to Westerners and combines postures with breathing with meditation.

TT
Before you claim any absolute truth, remember you see only 1% of the electromagnetic spectrum and hear 1% of the acoustic spectrum. 90% of the body’s cells carry their own DNA and are not you. Your body’s atoms are 99.9999999% empty space. Humans have 46 chromosomes, 2 less than the common potato.

convivium

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 11:44:10 PM »
kundalini is not so resonant with thai forest tradition. we do not seek to awaken the kundalini in doing jhana. iyengar, vinyasa, ashtanga &sivananda hatha, are all legitimate. iyengar and vinyasa flow are good. depends on yr body as well. i prefer static stretches of iyengar and also some more flowing asanas... sun salutation, etc.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 11:46:13 PM by convivium »

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 05:59:13 AM »
Hatha is the one I have heard most recommend though I am not a practitioner.

I used to do Ashtanga yoga which was done at high speed so was an aerobic workout. That was before I was a meditator and I doubt it would fit well, though if not done as an athletic pursuit it might work better alongside sitting.

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Joe

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 10:10:55 AM »
Thanks for your help.