Author Topic: What do you do in your free time (off cushion)  (Read 2732 times)

Morning Dew

What do you do in your free time (off cushion)
« on: April 21, 2010, 07:03:53 PM »
Hi friends,

Lately I am feeling less and less atracted to watching DVD-s or even surfing the net, hanging on forums or even having a pint or two with friends.

I am not into becoming enlightened or following the Buddhist path so reading Suttas is not really doing much for me. I can read Krishnamurti though but even that I can do for an hour max.

For example today I was totaly alone at home and I used this time to sit a few times for half an hour each. Besides making food and vashing dishes there is not much a man can do in the city. I mean as soon I get out of my apartemnt I see shoping windows and commercials all over the place, busy people rushing, crazy trafic poluting, noise, etc ... all this doesn't seem to bother the pidgeons  :D

I was wondering would it be OK to start painting again for the sake of practising something in the now, being with the painting.

I was wondering what you guys and gals do when off the cussion for you free time (off work I mean).

Thanks a million  :)

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
Re: What do you do in your free time (off cushion)
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 03:57:30 AM »
I paint, amongst other things. You could also volunteer and spread a little happiness :)

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

soma

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 09:19:57 AM »
I paint too  ;D

100 % painters in this thread so far.

Alex

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 10:14:07 AM »
I play the piano and sing...

;)

unprevadedrapture

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 10:40:22 AM »
yoga, dream, scheme, play, eat, read, walk, napping...  you should travel, play, and eat some chocolate.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 11:06:50 AM by unprevadedrapture »

Morning Dew

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 07:04:07 PM »
I get it  :) I guess I am getting too serious and too rigid about the morality of a meditator (right vs. wrong). You know what, I better drop all those Buddhist books on Vipassana, Jhanas etc ... and keep it is simple by simply sitting and being mindful of the breath and everything else which comes a long. Spiritulaity is simple (not necessery easy) and religions tend to complicate it a bit (for me this is).

TIB said to me not to read anything but sit instead. I understand now why. All the reading and ideas and rituals and techniques are of the Mind and for that reason not real and can be a big hindrance from the real practice, which in this case is simply sitting silently and observing the phenomena we call MYSELF.

Thank you all!

:)

p.s. some of my art to share http://duskobojic.blogspot.com/

Crystal Palace

• "Move on Bhikkus, Move On" - Buddha
    • Thai Forest Tradition
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 07:20:31 PM »
Dear Dusko,

I saw your paintings and I must say - Wow! Your paintings are really nice. Painting is a hobby that is supported very well by meditation. Keep up the great work!

Crystal P
"Abstain from unwholesome actions,
Perform wholesome actions,
Purify your mind"

Buddha

Renze

• Ungrounded
    • No hope
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 12:31:32 PM »
I enjoy reading, watching movies and listening to music. And I recently started a course in stage acting, I want to explore my creative talents a bit. I think I want to try writing for theatre or film, I'm just not sure yet.

dhruv

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2010, 05:00:53 PM »
I like doing the same things, like walking down a crowded street and taking it all in with fresh perspective. With awareness. It's fun, you should try it sometimes :) I just came back to Bombay, India a week back and decided to take a 'local train'. I waited an hour for a train I could cram into, (you should see trains here..you have NO IDEA..lol). It was kinda fun wathing everyone running around and pusing each other and being agressive. And I was learning how to be assertive and calm at the same time.

Peace

Slider

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 06:55:52 PM »
To dhruv:
HAHA! Now that's something new (trying to remain calm on Mumbai locals).
If you do a similar thing in Delhi, you'll be infected (yes, infected) with asthma of a very peculiar kind.
But, I was wondering whether watching movies or listening to music is pro-meditation. It has been my observation that some movies produce strong sensations in the body. For instance, I just finished watching "Leon - the professional" the other day and I was overwhelmed by the sensations that it produced, particularly towards the end of the movie where highly but subtly dramatic scenes are accompanied by Sting's "shape of my heart". Also, I had read here somewhere that The Buddha recommended his students to stay away from music, never mind movies.
Just so you know, I'm a movie guy too, and find it difficult to kill the habit. Although I try to do something constructive in my free time, I end up watching movies.

Joe

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2010, 04:25:26 PM »
Painting mostly.

I didn't mean to, but since I started meditating I've mostly stopped doing activities that gave only short term gratification. Drinking, smoking, watching T.V etc. It's just following your mind isn't it?

That said, my vice is listening to music. It's terrible for raising emotions and getting lost in mind  ;D.