Author Topic: how to deal with stressful situations ?  (Read 1475 times)

darklord06

how to deal with stressful situations ?
« on: April 21, 2010, 09:42:43 AM »
Thank you for your advice, those where very useful but today I have a new question. I tend to lose control to my emotions quite often, especially in stressful situations, in those situations I should probably just try to observe this flow of emotions but I feel so overwhelmed by those that I feel like it completely blocks my ability to take an “observer’s position”.
Two days from now I will have a driving licence exam, and even if at the moment I feel fairly calm I know that at the last moment I could panic again.
Whenever I sit I feel like I am getting closer and closer to Samatha (unfortunately I can”t sit 24H/7), but in my daily life, even if I am trying to apply the same techniques it seems to be useless, could anybody help me with a technique I could use to try to keep a state of mindfulness even in stressful situations ?

Thank you

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
Re: how to deal with stressful situations ?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 03:15:16 PM »
Yes. Remember how it feels to be calm ... and then breath and feel that way, whatever the circumstances.

It's quite simple, as long as you remember in the heat of the moment to do it. Try and practice that in minorly stressful situations and you will see what I mean. Basically it means to practice Shamatha on the spot, wherever you are.

Warmly,

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

darklord06

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 09:41:05 PM »
thank you for your advise Matthew,

i tried to apply it but unfortunately in those situations (like driving lessons) I cannot come even close to the state I am in when I sit, it feels like my mind and body went in "autopilot".
In the heat of the moment, even when I try to remember a state of tranquility, this feeling of confusion is still overwhelming and paralyzing me.
I am still going to try your technique tomorrow but I feel like I would need something radical to deal with it.
The problem is that I intellectually know that those are just passing feelings and thoughts but in the same time my body-mind “didn’t get the memo” and my emotions still have a massive impact on my behavior.

Anyways, I will still try to work on it (no other choice really  :) )

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 10:20:10 PM »
"Strive diligently to save yourself" and don't give up on yourself, or give yourself a hard time - it's called "The Middle Way" for a reason.

Warmly,

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~