Author Topic: Can we do Pranayam at Home along with Vipassana  (Read 6699 times)

RajeshKumar

Can we do Pranayam at Home along with Vipassana
« on: November 17, 2007, 12:52:54 PM »
I have completed the Vipassana 10 day course. I would like to know if I can do Pranayam yoga as Taught by Baba Ramdev. If yes, whats the amount of duration that should be a gap between these. Can I also do physical aerobics?

Thanks.
Rajesh

Paul

Re: Can we do Pranayam at Home along with Vipassana
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2007, 02:03:56 PM »
Rajesh, I'm no expert on this but I do Hatha Yoga and Vipassana and just find they are complementary.  I sometimes do Vipassana immediately after Yoga and have never had a negative effect from this.  You definately can do physical aerobics, and this in turn willl help with your meditation posture (especially if you strengthen the abdominals).

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2007, 04:26:34 PM »
Physical health is encouraged by hatha and astanga yoga's, marshal arts, aerobic exercise and other sports and activities such as swimming. The Buddha swam regularly and was no doubt proficient in the other yogas having studied with all reputable teachers.

The yoga's of the mind one learns upon becoming a meditator are higher yogas in a series that begin with a healthy body in some systems.

Find a healthy balance in life with all things in moderation is the first rule for any human.

In the Dhamma,

Matthew
« Last Edit: November 17, 2007, 04:38:56 PM by The Irreverent Buddhist »
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Stefan

• The Marvellous Omannobazong!!!
  • love is the key
    • Vipassana (Goenka), Freestyle, Family, God
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2007, 05:21:04 PM »
Paul and Matthew said it all.
I want to add Goenkajis comment:
he recommends physical exercises like hatha yoga and pranayama for Vipassanauts (the retreats are the only exception).

Metta, Stefan

Edit: Hatha yoga and Vipassana, yes ... but not at the same time ... just wanted to make sure nobody misunderstands this ...
« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 09:29:51 PM by stefan »
anicca

RajeshKumar

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2007, 01:47:27 PM »
I have started to do aerobics like Jogging. Is it okay to concentrate on my breath and do Aana pana during that time if something bad comes to my mind? I wanted to ask this because the breathing is quite forceful when you do aerobics/jogging and hope it doesn't interfere with Meditation later.

With Respect,
Rajesh

Stefan

• The Marvellous Omannobazong!!!
  • love is the key
    • Vipassana (Goenka), Freestyle, Family, God
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2007, 09:27:42 PM »
Anapana means being aware of your breath - there can't be anything wrong with that, jogging or not. I believe Pranayama and Jogging could be a problem (wheeze, wheeze) ...  :D

Metta, Stefan
anicca

RajeshKumar

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2007, 11:43:12 AM »
Thank you.
 ;D

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2007, 01:42:33 PM »
Anapana means being aware of your breath - there can't be anything wrong with that, jogging or not. I believe Pranayama and Jogging could be a problem (wheeze, wheeze) ...  :D

Metta, Stefan

Astanga yoga and jogging can be deadly. Especially the postures where ones feet are not on the ground.
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~