Author Topic: Tired mind after meditation.  (Read 4258 times)

atomjack

Tired mind after meditation.
« on: March 09, 2010, 05:26:19 PM »
After a couple of hours of meditating, sometimes I notice my brain feels tired. I notice I feel a little out of it afterward as far as contributing to a conversation or if I'm writing something I won't notice that my grammar is poor. Am I concentrating too hard? Is this typical for someone who is increasing his practice time? Any opinions or suggestions are much appreciated, I just want to make sure I'm not doing something wrong.

soma

Re: Tired mind after meditation.
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 07:04:15 PM »
Are you aware of what you are doing ?
Then you are doing nothing wrong.
It is as simple as that.

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 09:21:46 AM »
atomjack,

What kind of practice are you doing? How long have you been practicing?

If you are meditating correctly it is to be expected that you will rise from a sit more awake and aware and with more clarity than when you started sitting. If you are regularly getting these experiences of feeling tired and being what sounds like a little disoriented then it may be that your practice is not helpful.

Warmly, in the Dhamma,

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

atomjack

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 03:21:05 PM »
I've been practicing for a year Goenka meditation, especially anapana while focusing on the sensations around the nose. Since reading your posts about a month ago, I've started to try focusing on the breath within the body instead of around my nose. After meditating I believe the tired mind comes from an increase in my practice time, around 2 hours. If I meditate for my usual 45 minutes I feel fine.

While practicing I noticed that even when it felt I was not thinking at all and my awareness was pure, I could notice quiet thoughts far in the back of my mind. They are so far back that I can't even tell what they are, but I can tell that it is still a form of thinking. I felt that by catching them I would be able to let them go, and truly be able to sit with an empty mind. The increased concentration of my sensations caused my brain to feel exhausted. Is this something normal to beginners?

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 04:18:18 PM »
atomjack,

Don't try too hard. The clue to good Shamatha is "relax and awaken".

Breathe in aware of the breath, calming the body, breathe out aware of the breath, calming the body.

The whole process needs to be awake yet relaxed. If you are stressing yourself by chasing down thoughts they will just run away. You need to relax enough for them to pop up ! Then you can watch them disappear again.

Warmly, in the Dhamma,

Matthew
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 10:14:37 PM by The Irreverent Buddhist »
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Nirlepa

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 04:42:57 PM »
Concentration = Split mind = Tiredness.

Meditation = Here and Now = Joy.

atomjack

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 09:47:15 PM »
Thank you, I will take it easier on myself. This forum is such a great thing!