Author Topic: Meditate in public  (Read 3242 times)

mathanga

Meditate in public
« on: February 04, 2010, 08:48:38 AM »
I am livng in a company provided shared acomadation.
I need to do meditation, but no body should know it.

Can any of you give suggesion?

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
Re: Meditate in public
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 08:51:06 AM »
- Use the toilet.

- Go for walks to somewhere you can sit.

- Do it laying flat on your back so you look like you are asleep.

None are ideal but they all work.

In the Dhamma,

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

mathanga

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 08:56:07 AM »
I am bit reluctant to do that, because that may reduce my faith of the path and the teacher - Buddha.

use of toilet, and sleeping posture,  specially
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 09:06:58 AM by mathanga »

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 10:28:52 AM »
Toilet meditation improves your productivity at work overall. 5 minutes once an hour - the loo is about the only place in an office one can legitimately lock oneself away for 5 minutes. The other 55 minutes you will do more work than the hours when you don't sit.

Matthew

~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Crystal Palace

• "Move on Bhikkus, Move On" - Buddha
    • Thai Forest Tradition
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 12:24:33 PM »
I am bit reluctant to do that, because that may reduce my faith of the path and the teacher - Buddha.

use of toilet, and sleeping posture,  specially

Mathanga,

The teacher wanted you to practice meditation and not simply have faith in him -and some meditation is better than no meditation. Matthew has given you unique ways to do so, I would suggest the same. Plus the toilet is a good environment to practice equanimity towards aversion.

Crystal Palace
"Abstain from unwholesome actions,
Perform wholesome actions,
Purify your mind"

Buddha

TomThumb

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 07:01:57 PM »
I've been doing the "toilet meditation" for a little while now, and while it sounds a bit weird, it works quite nicely. I come back into the room a lot more relaxed and focussed than when I left it.

I also do it in my car (when parked obviously  ;)). To begin with I felt a bit subconscious because I could hear people walk by, but what the heck. When you open your eyes, you are a lot more prepared to continue with your journey. The posture is not the most comfortable in the world, but for a few minutes it doesn't seem to matter...

But to be honest with you, I don't understand the problem, why shouldn't anyone know it?, why don't you just tell your room mates that you want some time alone to meditate and let everyone agree when you can be (for example) in the kitchen alone for half an hour? I have my own house but also have young children and have found that the only solution is to get up an hour before everyone else. That way you can meditate with no problems - even if you just sit on the floor next to your bed.

Where there is a will there is a way...

TT
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 07:03:21 PM by TomThumb »
Before you claim any absolute truth, remember you see only 1% of the electromagnetic spectrum and hear 1% of the acoustic spectrum. 90% of the body’s cells carry their own DNA and are not you. Your body’s atoms are 99.9999999% empty space. Humans have 46 chromosomes, 2 less than the common potato.

mindful1983

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2010, 09:59:32 AM »
i do bathroom meditation too. if the bathrooms arent too busy, i can go for 30minutes if needed.
at work though, the fire exit is more suitable for me.

Pretending to read can work as well. It can feel a bit weird but its doable.

mathanga

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2010, 12:41:15 PM »
I have many options now, i will use one or another.

May be my level of virtue is not strong enough to use this kind of places. Anyway i will give a try, worse case, i have only 5 months to return to my home country. There I will get plenty of oppertunities to develop meditation.

One thing i need to mention, I dont like others to see me as a buddhist.
There are so many thing in me, which others see as bad. Whenever I do any of these, people may say "look at the buddhist who do this and that".
I dont need them to blame the buddhism. Dhamma is with me whenever I do good or bad. Thans very personal thing.

mindful1983

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2010, 01:12:09 PM »
all the best, mathanga!

in the 'book' suggestion, i think this can seem a bit weird and uncomfortable to do. i never really tried it myself. i guess i myself might give it a try if i find myself needing to be in public and wanting to meditate. perhaps holding the book low and with a table obstructing the line of sight, i can make it so that its hard to tell if im flicking the pages.

there is also a method 'mahasati' meditation or moving meditation where ur mindful while moving arms, etc. i dont know if this is the 'right method' exactly of doing things, but i did find this approach to meditation useful for myself when i needed it. in this situation, perhaps mindfully tapping your fingers while pretending to read a book might make u look normal.