Author Topic: TERRIBLE and TRAUMATIC experience at Goenka retreat  (Read 121804 times)

Quardamon

• Teachers were: P.K.K. Mettavihari, Frits Koster, Nel Kliphuis. (In the line of Mahasi Sayadaw)
Re: TERRIBLE and TRAUMATIC experience at Goenka retreat
« Reply #125 on: February 06, 2015, 06:17:03 PM »
Hello Quantum  Mystic,
It is as you supposed: DJ Shaka is no longer active on this forum. He had not been for quite a while, otherwise I would remember his name - I suppose. Sorry for that.
Apart from that, you are free to ask questions or tell your story if you feel it would help you or others.
Be well,
Quardamon

Luscious

« Reply #126 on: February 09, 2015, 10:52:07 AM »
One thing I learnt early on in my practice is that meditation is not a fix. It is not just another thing you can use to "feel good" and distract yourself.  Meditation is about taking responsibility for your own mind. Learning equanimity and cultivating peace and clarity.  Perhaps these bad feelings you experienced need to be faced? Perhaps they have been buried deep and this meditation brought them to the surface?  Meditation is not easy for anyone. It's a hard road. It's the road less traveled, it can be lonely and painful at times but it's worth it. Ignorance may be bliss but it is not liberation. I hope you continue your practice and find a way to find peace with the difficult emotions and thoughts arising for you.

Stefan

• The Marvellous Omannobazong!!!
  • love is the key
    • Vipassana (Goenka), Freestyle, Family, God
« Reply #127 on: February 16, 2015, 07:18:29 PM »
In a way it is like detoxification. Noone feels good while throwing up. But still it is better than to keep the poison inside.
anicca

Vivek

• Staff
    • Advaita & U Ba Khin's tradition
« Reply #128 on: February 17, 2015, 01:15:54 PM »
Welcome back, Stefan!
Let's go beyond this illusion, shall we?

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #129 on: February 25, 2015, 02:33:01 PM »
Welcome back, Stefan!

I'll second that.

:) Good to see The Marvellous Omannobazong back ...
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Stefan

• The Marvellous Omannobazong!!!
  • love is the key
    • Vipassana (Goenka), Freestyle, Family, God
« Reply #130 on: February 26, 2015, 06:11:33 PM »

:) missed you all, too!
anicca

Vishal

• Who are you?
    • Sayagi Ubakhin & S. N. Goenka Tradition
« Reply #131 on: April 05, 2017, 12:37:13 PM »
This is quite an old post now but has some shockingly excessive views. I just joined the group, but I think it still needs some positive inputs. I am not sure if DJ Saka is out of his trauma or not (May be not) but I still wish him best luck and Metta. Found some quite dangerous and I can easily say absolutely baseless views about the courses from the staff member Matthew and some other guests and members about the technique of Goenka Vipassana which is actually the second patthana of the Mahasattipathana Sutta by the Buddha himself.

"And how does a monk remain focused on feelings in & of themselves? There is the case where a monk, when feeling a painful feeling, discerns, 'I am feeling a painful feeling.' When feeling a pleasant feeling, he discerns, 'I am feeling a pleasant feeling.' When feeling a neither-painful-nor-pleasant feeling, he discerns, 'I am feeling a neither-painful-nor-pleasant feeling.'

Yes we all have freedom to have our own views about anything. However, the point is our views are based on our perceptions, assumptions and fears which mostly are incorrect and immature. The wisdom is what liberates and that comes from experience based on this it can be deducted that all views are wrong views till they are replaced with understanding or WISDOM.

I see some people writing about Goenkaji Vipassana have not even attended a single course to be able to talk about it. How can one make outrageous claims about moon if you have not been to one or have not even seen one :-).

I am happy for the people who attended the course and then they have some constructive feedbacks and some negative experiences about the course. However, something that you find is negative can be positive or may be life changing for others. It is all based on our minds and up to some extent culture we come from. Like adults living with parents is normal and respectable in East, where as in west it is laughed upon.

All I can say is the forum for now sounds demeaning one method of meditation which works for hundreds of thousands of people and glorifying other which can be equally good for all and may be for some special set of people like respected Monks.

If this is the case then where are we leading ourselves to. Are we learning from each other or just indulging in endless fights and arguments??

« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 12:41:49 PM by Vishal »

Manohar Shrestha

• Let's explore our mind and body
    • Vippasana ( Sayagi u Ba Khin tradition) student
« Reply #132 on: April 05, 2017, 05:59:37 PM »
Thank You Vishal for your more balanced post.

In fact, each and every normal person has defilement (old conditioning) related to aversion, craving and ignorance. Vippasana is a practice for developing awareness and remaining equanimous for eradicating defilement.

Initially, a meditator has to deal with old conditioning related to aversion i.e.  gross sensations. During the retreat, one develops awareness but if a meditator is not equanimous or do not have ability to become equanimous then he or she may react like DJ.

There is no doubt that the course is very demanding. One need do get more information prior to participating in the course. In fact, guidance from old studeent would be very helpful. Moreover, a person should check whether he or she is mentally and physically fit to participate in the course or not.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 06:01:12 PM by Manohar Shrestha »