Author Topic: Proposal: Change to Introduction - a community rule - discuss please.  (Read 3458 times)

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
~oOo~

We have one rule as a community: We treat each other with respect and compassion and we think before we open our mouths/type our words.

Anyone incapable of maintaining these standards would probably not be helping themselves or us. If they did not moderate their behaviour they would be asked to leave. This has never happened however - yet if it arises and the behaviour continues eventually the person would be banned.

Discussion of anything is acceptable, however, game playing with words is an obstacle and hindrance on the path of meditation and divisive of community.

In particular "mindless speculation of imponderables" and purely intellectual debates are not what this place is about - this place is a meditation practice oriented community of active meditators - not an intellectual playground for the amusement of people with a purely intellectual approach to the subject. The approach is practical, personal and experiential.

~oOo~

Please discuss or add any comment you have. This rule is to aid community cohesion and sets out the basics of participation in this community. If you feel it does not do so or needs rewording please do not hesitate to say so. As always this change comes under the over-riding way things have always been managed here, namely:

We are very democratic in an informal way, working out how we can meet everyone's needs when something arises.

We can not achieve this if you have something to say and fail to say it.

May 2010 bring calm, peace, joy, equanimity and wisdom to us all.

In the Dhamma,

Matthew
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 01:08:20 PM by The Irreverent Buddhist »
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Matthew

Re: Proposal: Change to Introduction - a community rule - discuss please.
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 01:50:51 PM »
note: Maybe add something along the lines of: "discussing the beliefs of others is within the bounds of acceptability. Dismissing them, ridiculing them or persistently using unskilful speech towards others is not acceptable"
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

mik1e

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 02:05:52 PM »
I would suggest to formalize a bit the rule, so that one could himself/herself understand at what moment (s)he approaches the line.

What I would propose:

1) This forum is opened for discussions, related to Buddhism, meditation, enlightenment and related topics.
2) When posting, please keep as close to your practical meditative experience/problems, as possible. This will allow you to get more efficient help.
3) This is not a chat-board. If you want just to enjoy chatting with practitioners and withdraw their experience just to make fun for yourself -- please look for another place to satisfy your ego.
4) There is nothing wrong if you ask for information to help with unclear question. However, if you do nothing to understand the answers and to put them into your practice, but just keep asking questions and make statements not related to meditative practice -- you will be banned.

Crystal Palace

• "Move on Bhikkus, Move On" - Buddha
    • Thai Forest Tradition
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2010, 04:53:35 PM »
If all fellow meditators (myself included) follow this simple rule then most of the issues should get sorted out.

If amount of time spent on this forum = X mins
Then amount of time spent practising meditation must be = (atleast) 3X mins

P.S - I don't think the 'Who we are' requires any changes. It is self explanatory and complete and anyone who is unable to follow that will most likely NOT be able to follow anything else that is added to it.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 07:34:36 PM by Crystal Palace »
"Abstain from unwholesome actions,
Perform wholesome actions,
Purify your mind"

Buddha

Matthew

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 08:57:20 AM »
If all fellow meditators (myself included) follow this simple rule then most of the issues should get sorted out.

If amount of time spent on this forum = X mins
Then amount of time spent practising meditation must be = (atleast) 3X mins

P.S - I don't think the 'Who we are' requires any changes. It is self explanatory and complete and anyone who is unable to follow that will most likely NOT be able to follow anything else that is added to it.

All good points. In any case, the current culprit has left the building after seeing himself described a little too clearly in the mirror of my last post to him.

Matthew

When the mind is clear and calm like the surface of a lake it becomes a mirror for the other. Sometimes people do not like what they see.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 11:28:33 PM by The Irreverent Buddhist »

mettajoey

• If you follow the standard allowable path, you'll get standard allowable results
  • Share the love
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 06:41:27 PM »
Matthew,

I do not see any reason for a rule change.  Some people have deep concerns about Buddhist thought being like any other religion.  And truly, there are many people and branches of Buddhism that are rampant with attachment to dogma.  Many, many people in Asia treat Buddhism the way Catholics in the western world do, punch the clock on Sundays and wait for the benefit - no time for meditation or introspection.  The thread brought together much intelligent discussion and an idea for more stimulating thought.  This is a function of a Sangha.

You are quite correct in stating that this Sangha should not be an intellectual exercise and making that distinction clear, regardless of whether or not people are ready or able to hear and understand.  The many missed valid responses to questions from multiple perspectives may be realized at a later point.  There is so much to be learned, or unlearned from the outset.

I also very much appreciate you asking for input.  This is a very wise, just and emotionally secure thing to do.  I saw the discussion more attacking some mistaken beliefs about Buddhism than actually being all out rude or insulting to the other members.  I had and still possibly may have some of the same concerns and confusions; so I find blame difficult.

I agree with this.

Anyway, that's my take and thanks again for asking.

Warmly,
-Joe
The best type of meditation is the one that you'll do