Author Topic: trouble with concentration, need help  (Read 1475 times)

darklord06

trouble with concentration, need help
« on: December 29, 2009, 10:20:55 PM »
Hello,
I am posting this message to see if somebody could give me some advice to deal with some issue I am having concerning concentration.
I have been suffering from depression for 10 years now and I have been under antidepressants for two years until I discovered vipassana meditation which helped me a lot. To such a degree that after 7 months I felt a constant state of peace and I felt like I didn’t have the “monkey mind” going wild anymore.
I also regained a lot of my former concentration skills, I felt so good that I decided to stop taking antidepressants hoping to let whatever had to happen happen and try to gain new understandings about my mind but as soon as I stopped being medicated I reverted to my former state and now, despite the regular meditation, despite trying to calmfully observe my mind going wild I cannot stop it from trying to tame itself and in the process bring more thoughts and less concentration.
Taming it is probably not the correct expression but if I could explain it, whatever my activities are, especially on demanding activities like learning new languages I feel like my mind is always trying to analyze every details of my experience thus detaching me from it and making everything seem “unreal”.

The few moments of peace that I find are during my meditations or during brief periods of time almost cyclically for reasons I cannot understand but my main problem is with my concentration skills. It is much harder for me to stay focused on a single thing or let my mind be empty because as soon as it happens, I start thinking that I should try to keep my mind empty and all my thoughts come again.

I hope it was clear enough and that maybe somebody who had a similar expression could give me some advice.

mik1e

Re: trouble with concentration, need help
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 10:53:09 PM »
darklord06,

Please read my comments in this thread. I would advise you the same recommendations which I gave there, and almost for the same reason: from my point of view, your problems with mind are caused by your inability to relax your body and, first of all, the head.

Focusing on the body's sensations is very simple, but powerful technique. In this way one can get the results even without knowing what, namely, goes on in energy system and in the mind.

Looking on your post, I would say that you suffer from extra mental activity. Relaxation of the head may help a lot in this case.  To release from antidepressants totally, you will need to learn to relax the whole body, since often the depression is related to affection of Anahata, Manipoora or Svadhisthana (heart, navel or sexual center). This, in turn, may cause problems with immunity, gastrointestinal tract or urogenital sphere.

When you manage to relax the body totally and feel it as the single drop of water, most of your energy problems are solved themselves, and you become able to work with mind much more efficiently.

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 11:28:16 AM »
Dear Darklord,

Welcome to the forums.

Your problems are not uncommon so do not trouble yourself with worry and self-doubt. I believe they may stem from trying too hard. I have written extensively regarding solutions elsewhere:

Please read this post in particular and also this post (though less applies to you).

If the information in them does not help or seems irrelevant to your issue please do not hesitate to ask again.

In the Dhamma,

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

darklord06

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 08:44:24 PM »
thank you for your advice, i will try those techniques, the problem is that as soon as i find a little peace i start telling myself that i should keep this state then i lose it.
this feeling of being detached from reality isn't helping plus i have a rather stressful job (call center) that is not leaving me more than 3 minutes of calm during the day (phone constantly ringing and angry customers) but i will work on it ! thank you

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 10:45:06 PM »
darklord,

thank you for your advice, i will try those techniques, the problem is that as soon as i find a little peace i start telling myself that i should keep this state then i lose it.

So stop saying that to yourself.

this feeling of being detached from reality isn't helping plus i have a rather stressful job (call center) that is not leaving me more than 3 minutes of calm during the day (phone constantly ringing and angry customers) but i will work on it ! thank you

Do toilet meditation (about the only place to get peace in an office/call centre).

Go to the toilet and sit for five minutes calming yourself at least once every two hours - your call handling skills and work output will improve and you will be less stressed.

In the Dhamma,

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~