Author Topic: The Great Western Vehicle Archive on Ecstatic Buddhism  (Read 4080 times)

Jhananda

The Great Western Vehicle Archive on Ecstatic Buddhism
« on: December 26, 2009, 05:32:26 PM »
The Great Western Vehicle Archive on meditation attainment (phala)
This is an archive of articles on the various attainments (phala) from the practice of meditation such as: Gnosis; Kundalini; Ecstatic Meditation (Jhana/Samadhi); Ecstatic Buddhism; Kriyas; OOBs; the characteristic manifestations of absorption; Jhana-Nimitta; Clairaudience, or Charismatic hearing, or the Divine Ear, or meditation induced tinnitus; the immaterial Domains; bliss (Piiti) and joy (Sukha).  This archive of articles includes extensive canonical references.

The Contemplative Practices (Magga) of Ecstatic Buddhism

The Psychology of Gnosis

The GWV archive of Early Buddhist Literature, the Pali Tipitaka online with English translations

the GWV P A L I Language Resource Guide for the Study of the, Tipitaka, P A L I Language and Literature

The Phala Nikaya, the Buddha’s Discourses on attainment, edited and/or translated by Jhananda

The GWV Ecstatic Buddhist Pali-to-English Dictionary

The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali, Translation by Jhananda

A Critical Analysis of Buddhism

Videos:
What is Jhana?
the 4 jhanas
« Last Edit: December 26, 2009, 05:59:34 PM by Jhananda »

sylvanhart

Re: The Great Western Vehicle Archive on Ecstatic Buddhism
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2009, 08:08:08 PM »
I had no idea there was any confusion about the significance of jhana and samadhi. I'm glad to know that I've been reading the right books on dharma :)

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2009, 08:34:04 PM »
I had no idea there was any confusion about the significance of jhana and samadhi. I'm glad to know that I've been reading the right books on dharma :)

Dear Sylvan,

There is much confusion. Some schools make no reference to Samadhi and Shamatha and the importance on the path.

Some schools place no emphasis on meditation and think that by saying, "Namo Amida Bu" ten times then you will be reborn into a "Pureland" run by head honcho "Amida Buddha" - the Buddha of compassion - and thereby be GUARANTEED 100% enlightenment in your next lifetime. (If this sound more like Christianity than Buddhism your ears are working well).

As Buddhism has transitioned through various countries, cultures and times it has mutated more often and in more ways than the influenza virus.

However this is actually a direct result of the Buddha REFUSING to appoint any individual to lead the Sangha on his deathbed, despite the pleadings of his leading disciples.

He knew that if he did so his teachings would quickly be perverted and the Sangha turn into just another religion - with the associated power structures, hierarchies and foolishness all religions seem to eventually attain. By this refusal he forced a "flowering" of Buddhism - which has of course lead to many wrong paths and wrong understandings but eventually left open the definite option that the true Dhamma could be rediscovered at any time.

In the Dhamma,

Matthew
« Last Edit: December 26, 2009, 08:38:20 PM by The Irreverent Buddhist »
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Jhananda

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2009, 12:38:26 AM »
Hello Matthew and Sylvan, yes, I agree with Matthew there are more variations of the dhamma than one would expect, if they all claim to have descended directly from the Buddha.  The contentious points to me are mostly in abstract terms like: samadhi, jhana, shamata, nimitta, etc.  I generally recommend people to check their sources, and find out for themselves through leading a contemplative life. 

Also, while many Buddhist schools downplay or subvert Samadhi, it was nonetheless the Buddha’s eighth fold, so any school of Buddhism that rejects Samadhi, then rejects the 8th fold.  And, the Buddha defined Samadhi in ecstatic terms, such as bliss and joy, so any school of Buddhism that defines Samadhi in stoic terms, such as ‘concentration’ then does not understand the Noble Eightfold Path.

The Noble Search
Ariyapariyesana Sutta (MN 26.28)
Translated from the Pali by Jhananda 11-02-06
(1st Jhana)
"Suppose that a wild deer is living in a wilderness glen. Carefree it walks, carefree it stands, carefree it sits, carefree it lies down. Why is that? Because it has gone beyond the hunter's range. In the same way, a seeker of Buddhahood (bhikkhave bhikkhu) renounces (vivicceva) sensuality (kàmehi), renounces unwholesome mental states and beliefs (akusalehi dhammehi) with applied and sustained attention (savitakkaü savicàraü) and bliss and joy (pãtisukhaü) one resides (viharati) in the clarity (upasampajja) of the first ecstasy (pañhamaü jhànaü). This seeker of Buddhahood is said to have blinded ('andhamakàsi) Mara. Trackless (apadaü), he has destroyed Mara's vision (màracakkhuü) and has become invisible (adassanaü) to the Evil One (pàpimato).
http://www.greatwesternvehicle.org/pali/tipitaka/sutta/majjhima/mn026-tb0.html