Author Topic: Music + Vipassana  (Read 2626 times)

Kasun

Music + Vipassana
« on: November 14, 2009, 10:48:32 AM »

Hi
Sometimes, instead of just sitting and watching my thoughts, i put on some good music (no vocals) and start to watch my mind as the thoughts come up. When the music fills my head it seems like less thoughts are coming and it's easier to watch the thoughts. My goal is not to listen to music or lessen my thoughts, but to observe the thoughts when my mind wonders away from the music. what do u guys think of this method?

Thanx.

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
Re: Music + Vipassana
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 11:05:23 AM »
Meditation is part of a balanced recipe that encompasses all aspects of life: livelihood, relationships, thinking, actions, words and more.

If you need meditation to steady the mind and can not do so with the breath then perhaps some other elements of your life are out of balance. The breath is the anchor of the practice. Music was something the Buddha taught monks to avoid. You're not a monk and I'm not saying avoid it yet if you meditate to it you are conditioning your mind in ways you are unaware of and this is unhelpful.

In the Dhamma,

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

pamojjam

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 02:28:58 PM »
Having been in many retreats I came repeatedly into the situation where my mind - because of becoming much more quiet - started to hear see and hear things as if real, for example: all the music heard. But only once the peace and bliss of a mind in silence mind has really been experienced, one can understand why this wouldn't really be sought out. And how it actually becomes a further obstacle to a really still and observing mind.

It's good to observe how thoughts arise and pass, daydreaming towards music or away from it. It's also good to remain on focus, despite external or internal music you might find yourself unable to turn off - during sitting meditation.

However, I believe, sitting practice also deserves something more determined than mere mindfulness as it might be trained during the rest of the day.
Mindfulness during meditation is only one of five faculties - together with confidence, effort, stillness and equanimity - and actually balances them.

Kind regards..

Kasun

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2009, 06:30:37 PM »
>yet if you meditate to it you are conditioning your mind
>Mindfulness during meditation is only one of five faculties - together with confidence, effort, stillness and equanimity - and actually balances them

_/\_

Thank you
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 06:33:15 PM by Kasun »

mcgee55

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2009, 12:15:38 AM »
I think, basically, try to do one thing at a time.  I've never tried it, but it seems as though attempting to meditate with the backdrop of music might be too much stimuli to facilitate a calm mind.  Although, I suppose that if you were to try using listening to music as an anchor that may be possible, sort of like chanting.  It doesn't sound like thats what you are doing however.  Best wishes with whatever you try.

Kasun

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2009, 02:40:35 AM »
thanx
i just want to watch my thoughts. i try to do it the whole day but most of the time i fail coz my awareness wonders away from myself often. and when i dont feel like watching the breath, i just put on the music and try to listen to my mind when it wonders away from the music. i hoped this would practice me to be more aware of the mind.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 10:49:22 AM by Kasun »

mcgee55

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2009, 04:40:41 PM »
Kasan,

I understand your failure completely.  It is difficult to watch the mind.  That is why you should be mindful of whatever it is you are doing throughout the day, and notice when your attention is distracted from that.  Its just like meditating with an anchor, but its your life.  For instance, washing dishes, washing dishes, thinking about work, thinking about kids, washing dishes, etc.  A lot of our distraction comes from people trying to do too many things at once, and never being present for any of them.  Try to engage whatever it is you are doing throughout the day, and don't try to do too much at once.  Much of life can consist of singular tasks in my opinion, we just make it more complicated because we are scatterbrained.