Author Topic: Retreat Buddy  (Read 5258 times)

mindful1983

Retreat Buddy
« on: November 08, 2009, 11:26:03 AM »
hey guys. anyone eyeing to retreat in asia early next yr?

i got my sights here

Thailand - Great things heard about this one

http://www.watkowtahm.org/data/schedule.htm

Thailand - Wat Phradhatu Doi Suthep -This one looks cool. I also stumbled upon a facebook group of it (private) where there were good reviews as well
the only thing is that the abbot/head is also interested in educating the meditators on buddhism, and is pleased when meditators join in chantings, etc. which for me is Ok, as like in SN Goenka centers, a lot of chanting too so im used to it.

http://www.fivethousandyears.org/mos/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

I want to go to one in thailand because i think this is the place cheapest for me (tickets) and most practical.
if i do goenka, then ill need a place to stay between retreats. with this i can go for the 21/26 day course directly, which is worth the travel fees.

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
Re: Retreat Buddy
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 08:37:34 PM »
Mitch,

Not sure where you are travelling from but you can do 30 day retreats in Europe pretty cheap too. Thailand is a lovely place to go though ...

In the Dhamma,

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

mindful1983

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 01:30:04 PM »
hi matthew thanks

im from the philippines. cheapest country out of here is HongKong, next is Thailand.

I thought europe would be cool because of the enligh speaking, i looked up switzerland and the flight cost was about 10x the price = O

(from 9000pesos to almost 100,000pesos)

Matthew

• Staff
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 02:54:49 PM »
Mitch,

Then Thailand it is.

I think Pamojjam has more knowledge of retreat centres in your part of the world than anyone else in the community. Not sure how much he knows about the various centres in Thailand though I believe he spent most time in Burma.

I would thoroughly recommend you investigate the Thai Forest Tradition. They have four main monasteries in Thailand (and 200 others):

Wat Marp Jan - Thailand
Wat Nong Pah Pong - Thailand
Wat Pah Nanachat - Thailand
Wat Pah Sunan - Thailand

Here is their website linking to each monastery.

I have spent time at the Amaravati Monastery in the UK and their approach, much like the founder venerable Ajahn Chah is simple Dhamma with discipline and development of wisdom through continued cultivated practice and mindfulness.

They offer retreat facilities at several locations in Thailand and are a very solidly founded Sangha.

There is a section in the video library dedicated to their teachers here - I think you will find some of the talks very refreshing - especially Ajahn Brahm. You can also read more at Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_Forest_Tradition

In the Dhamma,

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

pamojjam

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 10:36:13 PM »
I think Pamojjam has more knowledge of retreat centres in your part of the world than anyone else in the community. Not sure how much he knows about the various centres in Thailand though I believe he spent most time in Burma.
Exactly, see this thread about some information about Myanmar. Only 'had to' wait for one whole week for the Myanmar Visa in Bangkok.

Regards

Matthew

• Staff
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 12:11:17 PM »
Thanks pamojjam.

Matthew

Natpavee

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2009, 04:02:12 PM »
Hi Mitch... check out this site: www.thai.dhamma.org

It contains all info. about Vipassna Mediation (Goenka Courses) in Thailand.

Accommodation wise, it shouldn't cost you too much if you're coming form the Philippines as the peso and bath is not much different... but if price is your concern, going to HK isn't really an option as they're expense to live.

Hope this help,
Nat - Thailand

mindful1983

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2009, 01:32:01 AM »
Hello thanks for replies!

Matthew: have you tried Mahasi Courses?

I checked out the monasteries on the Forest Tradition a couple of months ago. The impression I got was that they were the type that weren't so accustomed to visitors, unlike the Mahasi/Goenka courses which are actual courses, they were more of monasteries with actual monks. They had a lot of bugs (set in the forest), and also did a lot of chanting/alms rounds, other monk activities/reading the texts (like in Wat Nanachat) and that the place was not really so conducive to meditation as compared to real retreat centers.

So, i thought, the most straightforward thing to do was to go for Mahasi courses as that is also the method that gave me good progress early this year.

mindful1983

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2009, 04:26:48 PM »
MBMC Malaysia Buddhist Meditation Center. This place is said to be a rare gem of meditation centers. Highly recommended. Stay is also ok for long term. For upto 3 months til ur visa expires and then u can still go for another 3 months if u leave the country for 1 day.

Technique is Mahasi Sayadaw style Vipassana.

My sights are currently on this one.
There is a thread about this center here for anyone interested:
http://www.dharmaoverground.org/web/guest/discussion/-/message_boards/message/97752

Matthew

• Staff
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2009, 08:15:33 PM »
Mitch,

Interesting thread. Did you pick this up: http://www.retreat-infos.de/Download/Retreats_in_Asia_Oct07.pdf - lot's of useful stuff there.

Again, when it comes to information regarding the Mahasi tradition I defer to pamojjam who has far greater knowledge than I, though I understand it is the tradition Goenka learned in and therefore would probably fit well with your prior retreat experience.

In the Dhamma,

Matthew

mindful1983

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2009, 04:52:50 AM »
Ok. Thanks a lot!