Author Topic: Let's Hear It From The Anti-A.M. Crew  (Read 1845 times)

Purple

• No one told me this would be so boring.
    • Independent
    • One mistake after another...
Let's Hear It From The Anti-A.M. Crew
« on: October 22, 2009, 07:49:49 PM »
Hello, all:

So I've been meditating off and on for quite a while.  My evening practice is pretty steady but my morning practice has always suffered.  Whenever I sit in the a.m. it never works out.  I get dizzy and disoriented and thoroughly messed up.  I can't follow the breath at all and I've even had to stop due to nausea.  I don't know what the deal is.  I've sat through periods of depression, bliss, fury, horror, boredom and craziness in my evening meditations.  I've always managed to keep it up.  But the morning practice is absolutely insane.  It makes me feel totally off and it takes quite awhile before I get back to normal. 

I thought for a bit I just wasn't letting myself wake up enough because I went straight from bed to the cushion.  But lately I've been showering first, which wakes me right up for my day.  It hasn't helped the meditation, however. 

Anyone else have a similar situation?  Anybody out there just kind of decided that maybe afternoons and evenings work for you but not mornings?  I'm interested to hear if this happens to others.

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
Re: Let's Hear It From The Anti-A.M. Crew
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 11:59:34 PM »
It is very good to wake up properly before sitting. Do you jump out of bed when you wake?

Watch how a cat wakes up. First they open an eye, then they stretch out their limbs, one by one. They yawn and stretch all the muscles in their face, jaw and neck. They stretch right out, stand up and usually stretch their back and arch it sometimes too. They let their body slowly encounter the new day.

Stretching your body before getting out of bed is a healthy thing to do. Get the circulation going and get the muscles stretched from any cramping that developed in the night.

Gently get up, rolling over on one side and pushing yourself up with the opposite arm, letting your legs drop to the floor. Once up stretch your limbs, back and yawn again.

Open the curtains, look outside. get your bearings a little bit.

Then take a shower, clean your teeth ...

and sit.

In the Dhamma,

Matthew
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 12:00:13 AM by The Irreverent Buddhist »
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

mcgee55

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 01:28:53 AM »
Evening sittings are always "better" for me too.  I find myself preoccupied mentally in the morning.  I've never, however, encountered the things you are.  I'm not sure what would cause that.  It could be that there is something about your body chemistry that abhors mornings.  Or, it could be something you've built up in your head, the so-called "self-fulfilling prophecy," whereas something happens often enough that you begin to expect to happen, and of course, it does.  My sincere advice would be to not give up on your morning sittings.  Encounter everything you experience in that sitting with equanimity.    You've indicated that you have practiced for a while, and have sat with rather terrible feelings such as horror.  Your well equipped then to accept anything that arises in your morning sittings, unless its an overwhelming physical symptom like vertigo or nausea (I do not suggest you continue at the expense of your health).  Trust me, I'm a beginner and I know full-well what its like to not be able to concentrate or be distracted.  My upstairs neighbor (moved out thankfully!)  would blast his techno music all day long to the point that it shook my apartment, to the point where I had to call the cops (and it still didn't stop it).  It was so infuriating, there was nothing I could do, and I spent the better portion of my first two months meditating going to war with him in my head.  Finally, I just surrendered and lived with it.  You may never like it, but sometimes thats all you can do, live with it. And who knows, your symptoms may "move out" too eventually!

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2009, 10:46:22 PM »
...snip... 

... it could be something you've built up in your head, the so-called "self-fulfilling prophecy," whereas something happens often enough that you begin to expect to happen, and of course, it does.  My sincere advice would be to not give up on your morning sittings.  Encounter everything you experience in that sitting with equanimity.    You've indicated that you have practiced for a while, and have sat with rather terrible feelings such as horror.  Your well equipped then to accept anything that arises in your morning sittings, unless its an overwhelming physical symptom like vertigo or nausea (I do not suggest you continue at the expense of your health).  Trust me, I'm a beginner and I know full-well what its like to not be able to concentrate or be distracted.  My upstairs neighbor (moved out thankfully!)  would blast his techno music all day long to the point that it shook my apartment, to the point where I had to call the cops (and it still didn't stop it).  It was so infuriating, there was nothing I could do, and I spent the better portion of my first two months meditating going to war with him in my head.  Finally, I just surrendered and lived with it.  You may never like it, but sometimes thats all you can do, live with it. And who knows, your symptoms may "move out" too eventually!

Well said.

In the Dhamma,

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Purple

• No one told me this would be so boring.
    • Independent
    • One mistake after another...
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 06:56:54 PM »
Thank you for your kind replies.  I'll give your suggestions a shot. 

wildfox

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 03:02:11 AM »
First, make sure you are getting plenty of sleep.  The best time to wake up is right after you have finished a dream.  If you are not getting enough sleep, then your alarm goes off and your mind frame is less than constructive.  When you get in bed, start thinking about looking forward to meditating first thing.

Try using a meditation object that is less abstract, more concrete.  At least for the first few minutes of sitting.  Maybe counting breaths: Inhale, Exhale, "One", Inhale, Exhale, "Two", etc. .... up to ten and repeat the cycle.  If you cannot manage this, then there is little point in trying to manage a more abstract object. If not, then JUST SIT there and seek awareness of your sitting posture.  You can also try just doing body-sweeps for your morning sit.  If try these measures for a week, I am sure you will know what to do next.