Author Topic: Beginners Meditation : when is the right moment?  (Read 1882 times)

kore

Beginners Meditation : when is the right moment?
« on: October 14, 2009, 01:43:16 AM »
Hello, I have been doing some research and am (possibly) interested in attending a Vipassana retreat at Spirit Rock. However, I have mixed feelings about the timing and would greatly appreciate any advice and feedback you all might have.

For the past couple of years I have undergone considerable emotional and physical turmoil, which has led me to utterly lose myself (unable to stop my mind) hence my desire and interest in doing a retreat.

As a total beginner to meditation in general, I have been told by some people that the vipassana retreat is very powerful (which is what I feel I need), and not advised for people who are feeling fragile. Other people seem to think that on the contrary, it could only be beneficial.

My fear is that of "falling apart" (getting overwhelmed by emotion) although in reality i don't know that I am fragile (ie breaking as much as I feel just highly sensitive and aware of the hardships of the past years.... I have developped considerable breathing blockages as a result of all this stress, and my attraction to mediation is to try and unblock these energies and get things flowing again.

Lastly, I must point out that I live in a country thus community where organized meditation is not available, and I find it very difficult to begin on my own precisely because I have trouble staying still. This is why, since the opportunity to attend is available, I am thinking about this retreat.

my apologies if these seems muddled,

thank you for your input,

Kore (Morocco)

mettajoey

• If you follow the standard allowable path, you'll get standard allowable results
  • Share the love
Re: Beginners Meditation : when is the right moment?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 01:03:35 PM »
Dear Kore,

My feeling is you should wait and try to grow in your path before trying a rigorous 10-day retreat.  I would recommend trying to find a group that sits together in your area to support you and help let you develop your sitting skills.  You may be surprised to what you can find in your area.  Possibly Spirit Rock has a shorter retreat that you can attend. 

Continue to have patience and confidence in your practice.

With love,

Joe
The best type of meditation is the one that you'll do

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 01:01:20 AM »
Kore

I would agree with Joe that a ten day retreat might not be the most helpful start. Have you ever read "mindfulness in Plain English" by Henepola Gunaratana? It's listed in the library with a link to an online/pdf version. It's a very good book with clear instruction and advice on how to deal with obstacles. If you can get a real copy even better but the content is the same.

Is it possible for you to travel to Spain or France? There are meditation retreat places in both countries which offer a more gentle entrance into sitting practice than a Goenka course. If your mind is quite troubled a Goenka course may not be healthy for you.

Either way if you can read the book and begin a gentle practice or take a trip you can surely make a start and if you have questions there will always be someone here to answer them.

In the Dhamma,

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

kore

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 12:36:04 AM »
Thank you both for your feedback. I have decided to take your advice and try a gentler retreat first. I live in Morocco, hence very close to both Spain and France. Travel to either place is easy for me. If you have any leads to these other retreats (Matthew) I would really appreciate the info. Thank you also for the advice on the book - I will try and get a hard copy, failing that the online copy.

Thank you,
Nihal

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2009, 09:30:45 AM »
Nihal,

My first suggestion to you would be to check out Plum Village in France for retreats. The centre is several villages large now and the heart of Vietnamese Monk Thich Nat Hahn's global "Community of Interbeing".

He is an inspiration to many and the retreats there are well respected.

In the Dhamma,

Matthew

http://www.plumvillage.org/
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

truthforhappiness

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, 07:28:09 AM »
When you are inspired to meditate.