Author Topic: happiness and mosquito bites  (Read 1778 times)

mcgee55

happiness and mosquito bites
« on: October 07, 2009, 06:25:35 PM »
Last night as I was watching television, I had a very strong feeling of happiness inside of me and I could not stop smiling.  It was a deep feeling, and I have not felt that way in a long time.  I then thought to myself, wow, it would be a good time to meditate.  The moment I sat down I was bitten by a mosquito and I spent the next 20 minutes urging myself not to scratch.  That was also a very powerful feeling (the itch).  I'm sure you've all had similar experiences, but I just thought I'd share it because it was kind of funny.  Also, I think it was a good lesson for myself to accept each moment as it is.  Best wishes.

V A L E N

Re: happiness and mosquito bites
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 01:16:47 AM »
That´s really cool hehe, try not to scratch! anicca! ;D

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 06:58:49 PM »
My teacher once told me that you can meditate anywhere you are. No need to change posture, no need to do anything. Just enter the meditative state. She was right. Maybe you missed your moment and could have meditated on the couch. I do frequently through the day or at any moment I feel emotionally triggered. That gives me the ability to respond instead of react. Ritual and routine does not always serve us.

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

mcgee55

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2009, 07:56:40 PM »
It is very difficult not to scratch.  In the book I am reading the author says anything that prominently enters your field of awareness, such as strong physical sensations, can be used as objects of mindfulness.  I try using sensations like itch or back pain as objects of concentration when they are strong enough to distract me from breathing.  As the author says, "it can be the difference between pain and torment."  I feel like I've had some minor successes in this regard.  Its a good chance for developing awareness and noticing aversion.  As for meditating anytime, I'm not sure if I'm able to concentrate well enough for that, but I am trying to at least be aware of my breath throughout the day, and using it to help focus on whatever I am doing.  That too is not so easy.  But I suppose thats the whole point, to make life itself the practice.  Best wishes fellow journeymen.

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2009, 10:50:56 PM »
mcgee

"The Goal is the Path" - you are right in your analysis.

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~