Author Topic: Art of Living question  (Read 1428 times)

salty-J

Art of Living question
« on: September 07, 2009, 07:05:31 AM »
just read the Art of Living from a link somewhere, is anyone familiar with it? It mentioned some things that seemed pretty contradictory to what I'd read from the vipassana school like chanting "Buddha Amitabha" 100 times a day as a powerful tool towards attaining liberation...is this school of Buddhism respected by you vipassana folks?

salty-J

Re: Art of Living question
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 01:05:32 AM »
never mind.....silence answers the question  ;), plus now I've read a bit more about it and see that there are extreme differences between Theravada and Mahayana Buddhism, the latter of which produce this Pureland school which the booklet was about. I can see where we in America would be inclined to veer toward Theravada rather than the other.....except Zen seems pretty different that the other Mahayana schools.....not enough hours in the day to learn about this stuff.......guess I'll go try some mediation again.  ;D

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
Re: Art of Living question
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 01:56:59 AM »
Salty,

Correct conclusion except Mahayana Schools probably dominate in America. zen, Tibetan, Pureland ... there are a bunch of them.

Pureland has more in common with Christianity than it does with the teachings of the Buddha on meditation and the eightfold path as the key to salvation.

In he Dhamma,

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~