Author Topic: Concentrating on belly or nostrils  (Read 3666 times)

hengitys

Concentrating on belly or nostrils
« on: September 06, 2009, 12:18:29 PM »
Hello, vipassana schools seem to be pretty divided on this subject. I personally don't find neither method especially easy. The "belly-meditation" I found to be quite difficult, but I also have trouble feeling the nostrils, because some bones in my nose are twisted a bit, so I can breath with one nostril only. And also, in exhalation breath doesn't make very big sensation in nostril(s). (Should I blow the air faster out???)

And also (yes I'm going to whine a little more) after the air is out, it takes atleast five seconds before the inhalation starts again and in the meantime there is no sensations in nostrils at all.

So what meditation method would you recommend. Should I just try to continue the "nostril-meditation"?

thanks!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 12:20:53 PM by hengitys »

salty-J

Re: Concentrating on belly or nostrils
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 06:50:42 AM »
  hey me to!  ;D
but today I had some success more than before, (using the nostrils)
   I have arthritis in my knee so I put Tiger Balm on my knee before I sit so I can stand the pain, (I am sitting in half-lotus at present with a cushion) but the point is Tiger Balm (or Icy Hot or any of those) has a strong smell, and makes the breath easier to notice at the nose. Also I have found that I can't feel any physical sensation of the air passing during exhalation, but I can notice the warmth that is present during the exhalation as opposed to the cooler sensation during inhalation. But I am just a beginner.

Renze

• Ungrounded
    • No hope
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 08:21:45 AM »
Try keeping one hand on your belly during meditation, so you can literally feel your belly rise and fall using your hand.

Personally, I think the right posture is very important if you want to feel your belly. If I sit with a straight back, I can feel my belly rise and lower much better.

joy

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 09:46:13 AM »
I reproduce below some part of  ‘Dhamma Talk  by Bhante Vimalaramsi  27-Jan-08’

“Are you doing mindfulness of breathing? Is that the meditation that you're practicing mostly here? Ok, I'll give you the instructions in the mindfulness of breathing according to the sutta, and you'll see that it's a little bit different that what you are being taught.
        Now, there's four sentences that give the instruction. It says: when you take a long in-breath, you understand that it's a long in-breath; when you let the long out-breath, you understand it's a long out-breath; you understand when it's a short in-breath and when it's a short out-breath. Now, did anyone hear me say, nose, nostril tip, upper lip, or abdomen? No, because that's not in the instruction. It just says you understand when you take a long breath, and when it's short; you understand when the breath is big, and when it's small; you understand when the breath is fast and when it's slow. That's all this means.”

Another quote:

"He never mentioned nostril, or body in any way outside of relaxing. Most times when you have instructions on meditation, they tell you to put your attention on one particular place in your body. But the Buddha, if he thought that was important, he would have said it very specifically. If you put your attention on one particular place in your body, you have the tendency to really focus very hard at that one place. But the Buddha did say you understand when you breathe in long and when you breathe out long, or short. So it’s just knowing the breath, not focusing on the breath, but seeing the breath clearly."

[Taken from
Discussion on Mindfulness of Breathing Meditation
Bhante Vimalaramsi
Unknown Date  Unknown Place]
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 02:03:32 PM by joydip_ppl »
Joy

hengitys

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 02:56:53 PM »
Discussion on Mindfulness of Breathing Meditation
Bhante Vimalaramsi
Unknown Date  Unknown Place

He never mentioned nostril, or body in any way outside of relaxing. Most times when you have instructions on meditation, they tell you to put your attention on one particular place in your body. But the Buddha, if he thought that was important, he would have said it very specifically. If you put your attention on one particular place in your body, you have the tendency to really focus very hard at that one place. But the Buddha did say you understand when you breathe in long and when you breathe out long, or short. So it’s just knowing the breath, not focusing on the breath, but seeing the breath clearly.

Thank you joydip for posting that. It felt much easier to meditate now :) My mind wasn't crystal clear, but now there was no cofusion and it felt quite nice :)

But thanks Renze and salty for your comments/tips also, but I think this is what i needed to hear  :)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 02:58:03 PM by hengitys »