Author Topic: The Dhammapada  (Read 2626 times)

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • Buddhism is a practical psychology and philosophy, not a religion.
    • If you cling to view, you must know this limits your potential.
The Dhammapada
« on: October 31, 2007, 07:13:17 AM »
The Dhammapada is useful reading for anyone on the path of meditation. Like all texts one must read it with a discerning eye - realising both that it was written down some hundreds of years after Buddha Gautama Shakyamuni's death and also that the translator will have a linguistic style and mindset that may affect meaning.

Interestingly if you read it alongside the Christian Gnostic Gospel of Thomas linked elsewhere on this board you will find many similarities. Many scholars accept that Jesus studied with the Essenes and many others believed that the Essenes encountered Buddhist wisdom and teachings. Given the wandering nature of Buddhists both at the time of Buddha's ministry and thereafter and that there are quite definitive  records of them at least travelling as far as Persia this is not a great leap of the imagination.

Here is one translation. If you find another good one link it in this thread too. Also if you find verses in the Dhammapada which show a common theme with the verses and sayings in the Gnostic Gospel of Thomas you could do the same.

The Dhammapada -Translation by John Richards

One example.

Dhammapada:

2. Attention

Attention leads to immortality. Carelessness leads to death. Those who pay attention will not die, while the careless are as good as dead already.

Thomas:

1. And he said, "Whoever discovers the interpretation of these sayings will not taste death."

In the Dhamma,

Matthew
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 07:14:24 AM by The Irreverent Buddhist »
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Jimmy Coconuts

Re: The Dhammapada
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 09:34:30 PM »
I have the Balangoda Ananda Maitreya Maitrey translation of the Dhammapada.

I often find it helpful to pick it up and read a little bit before I leave the house in the morning.  Helps get my day started off skillfully.   :)

I'm sorry I do not have a link to post.