Author Topic: How is the realization of there being no-self a beautiful thing?  (Read 1645 times)

salty-J

so like my subject was saying... it seems very depressing to think there is no me, and no anyone, and after we die, I guess the the "self" that never existed in the first place would really never exist after death, and how does that realization end up being beautiful, peaceful, etc. instead of depressing and hopeless?
    I am barely starting to try and meditate (probably @ 15 times only) and just finished a book called "Mindfulness in Plain English" by a Ven. Henepola Gunaratana so that little booklet is the source of any Vipassana information I have learned, and ACT therapy from a psychologist source, which seems like pretty much the same thing, but I was wondering about that aspect of the practice. I hope this semi-question makes sense...I'm pretty tired  ???

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
Re: How is the realization of there being no-self a beautiful thing?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 06:50:42 AM »
Hi salty-J

Welcome to the forums. When you meditate and become more and more aware of the present moment and your mind less cluttered there is a beauty and completeness in all things which becomes evident. Every moment is ripe but we usually miss it .. often because we are wondering about imponderable things.

The Buddha did not like to talk about such things I would call "cosmic speculation" because, it said, it stood in the way of practice.

Mindfulness in Plain English is a great book and gives you a lot of simple but clear and deep instruction.

Follow your breath .... it's not unlike Dorothy's yellow brick road in some ways ... an interesting journey that takes you home ... to you, the real you, not the one made up of mis-identifications, habits and concepts bought wholesale from the society, family and structures we live in.

It is very liberating to realise that this moment is all there is - because this moment is so very rich and replete. And when you come to *know that* in an non-conceptualised way it isn't scary at all.

I hope this answer makes some sense .. I just woke up :)

In the Dhamma,

Matthew
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 06:51:52 AM by The Irreverent Buddhist »
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

salty-J

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 12:01:49 AM »
yeah I think that answer makes pretty good sense, I hope it makes more as I keep trying... ;D
  look forward to reading this forum and thanks for the response!

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 12:21:55 AM »
Your most welcome salty. This is a mutual aid society. We help each other out.

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~