Author Topic: Forum changes  (Read 5513 times)

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
Forum changes
« on: October 26, 2007, 12:09:19 PM »
There have been several minor improvements to the website recently to enhance the usability of the forum:

• Posting
    - Drop down menu's for changing font, font size and colour.
    - Hyperlinks are now inserted using pop up boxes for URL and description rather than being manual
    - Increase or decrease the size of the post box - when typing long posts or replies, hit the + button under the post box to make the box larger - makes it much easier to post and edit long posts. Hit the - button to shrink it again if you wish.
  • Video
    - Almost any video from any video site on the web can be inserted to be viewed from within the forum just by adding the page address from the hosting site into your post.
    (google, youtube, myspace etc)
  • Private Messaging
    - PM's can now appear singly instead of at the end of a long page - just click on the subject to read the message you want to read.

Hope these help :)

In the Dhamma,

Matthew
« Last Edit: October 26, 2007, 12:10:18 PM by The Irreverent Buddhist »
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Matthew

Re: Forum changes
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 12:21:21 AM »
I've changed everyone to being called a member and having five stars. Don't care for ranks personally.

:)

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Matthew

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007, 09:21:23 AM »
OK I'm playing with colour schemes for the site. My apologies if one day you are here and everything is red and the next day its all gone purple or blue or something. I want the forum to be soft and warm but also crisp. I may leave it as it is for now (hit ctrl + F5 to see that in case your browser cache is behind).

I'm seeing warm summer sun, brown autumn leaves, white snow and the green shoots of spring all at once. Somehow trying to work that into a colour scheme and not yet arriving !!!!

It's a process of trial and error. member feedback welcomed and appreciated.

Matthew

mettajoey

• If you follow the standard allowable path, you'll get standard allowable results
  • Share the love
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2007, 11:12:20 AM »
My eyes thank you  :)
The banner is cool the way you set it up.  At 1280x1024 it fades about 1/3 of the way across and the Buddha sets right in the center.
Nice.
The best type of meditation is the one that you'll do

Matthew

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007, 11:19:20 AM »
My eyes thank you  :)
The banner is cool the way you set it up.  At 1280x1024 it fades about 1/3 of the way across and the Buddha sets right in the center.
Nice.

Are we headed in a good direction here?

mettajoey

• If you follow the standard allowable path, you'll get standard allowable results
  • Share the love
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2007, 12:28:58 PM »
Wow!
I think it looks great.  Nice job.
The best type of meditation is the one that you'll do

Matthew

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2007, 03:18:35 PM »
 OK that's it. Done fooling with colours. Red and gold and saffron.

:)

MintyMadness

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2007, 03:54:47 PM »
looks great Matthew!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2007, 08:41:32 AM by The Irreverent Buddhist »

Matthew

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 08:42:59 PM »
Ok .. I'm going to be making some changes to the forum software. Probably most of it will happen over the next week or so and the changes are fairly major (behind the scenes) though you may not notice too much up front.

- Sometimes the forum will go offline for a while.

- Sometimes you may come along to find the forum looks completely different.

- When all is done we will be using the latest version of the software which is much more user friendly, safe secure and future proof.

- There will be an integrated Wiki with answers to the most common questions that will be jointly written by old and active members.

- There may be more ... I'm trying to look at creating user blogs that would be available to all who want them to use as practice blogs, a recent request.

In the meantime ... if it all goes horribly wrong I will be making lots of backups as I go along and so will be able to roll back to the current state and put my thinking/programmers hat back on!

Warm regards,

Matthew

Namaste

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2011, 09:01:44 PM »
Thank you for continuing to evolve this forum, Matt. 
It's a great refuge for the way, for all of us.  ;D

joy

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2011, 04:05:51 AM »
Thank you for continuing to evolve this forum, Matt.  
It's a great refuge for the way, for all of us.  ;D

He is Matthew (TIB) not Matt.  :)
Joy

Namaste

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2011, 05:27:57 AM »
No worries, I was trying to show respect, but yes, you are right.

Matthew

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2011, 06:25:10 AM »
No worries. Thanks for your thanks Namaste and thanks for your correction of my name joydeep.

Now ... in between running the Tenants association, teaching meditation at Uni for two hours today and two tomorrow, giving a lecture on "Buddhist Meditation and sportsmanship" on Thursday, (researching and writing that lecture!), attending several meetings this week and ... living life .... me got some work to do ;D

ps Namaste: "Buddha cold turkey'd this shit" - never heard it put better. That deserves a thread so I'll say no more here.

Jeeprs

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2011, 09:52:58 AM »
Great work Matthew. I too am preparing a public lecture on Buddhism and science, specifically neuroscience and meditation research, I will create a version for the Wiki. (Due on March 8).

Matthew

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2011, 10:42:30 AM »
Jeeprs

Don't know if there is much research on this part of that immense subject but you can plagiarise my thoughts into the key function the Vagus nerve plays all you want (it is sooo important I can't stress the subject enough). If you look into all the functions of the Vagus and the links to various parts of the reptilian brain and pre-mammalian brain structures it becomes clear as to why.

Will have the Wiki up and running for editors by the weekend if all goes well. (Just not sure which weekend ;D).

Matthew

ps Have you got access to medical/scientific databases? Via "Athens" for example? If not and you need any research digging up I can possibly find time to search for you.

Andrew

• friends tell me things, sometimes I listen.
    • Letting Go.
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2011, 11:33:00 AM »
I was just looking at a book on Amazon called "buddha's brain' discussing just this type of thing! I think someone is already stealing your thunder TIB, time to write your book!!.

love

andy
getting it done

Matthew

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2011, 03:07:40 PM »
OK Stage one is done. There will be more changes to come so never be surprised at what you find over the next week or so!

My apologies but despite assurances to the contrary the custom fields of "practice, tradition ..." and "status" got lost in the move to the new software.

And there is no saying how the forum will end up looking .... yet ..... so probably best not to customise too many options until I get a bit further down the track ... but at least it's up and we're running.

If you have a problem logging in email me matthew (at) vipassana.not.this.bit.forum dot net
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 03:20:22 PM by Matthew »

ivana

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2011, 05:43:41 PM »
Dear Mathew
I will not customise it.
I will go on Friday to 10dayes Vipassana course in the UK and after I decide about how to customise. I think your forum is getting better.
Have a fun during your work
Ivana