Author Topic: College, asceticism, etc  (Read 3608 times)

metta fou

College, asceticism, etc
« on: October 17, 2008, 05:17:37 AM »

Wherein I ask about your experience of college and what it was worth on your path.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 02:17:45 AM by metta fou »

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
Re: Adaptation and Survival
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 01:19:25 PM »
Dear Aram,

I would seriously suggest you take a one year break before college and immerse yourself in the Dhamma.

You say you are committed to Dhamma. A four year college course is a distraction from Dhamma. You say you want to earn money to be of aid to people. The Buddha refused money, gold and silver and was benefit to many people.

At university you will be surrounded by people living the opposite of a spiritual and ascetic life. In any case the Buddha warned against the ascetic path and it's opposite (the hedonistic path). That is why the Buddha's way is called "The Middle Way".

I propose you consider taking a year out before going to college and immerse yourself in Dhamma because you will discover during this year out that four years committed to Dhamma will be more useful than four years of going to college.

Going to college is part of your false self-identification, it will just add more layings of conditioning for you to remove later with your Dhamma practice.

It sounds from your post that your commitment to Dhamma is not as deeply established and sure as you say. By taking time and out making a one year commitment to Dhamma now you will have a great and timely opportunity to establish your real level of Commitment to Dhamma.

If you decide to go to college after the year you will benefit from the greater levels of calm, concentration and equanimity that a year of solid Dhamma practice brings. You will qualify with better grades, be a more positive influence on those around you and also be more resilient to the distractions and entertainments of college life and therefore more likely to intensify and continue your Dhamma practice during your college years.

In the Dhamma,

Matthew
« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 01:51:03 PM by The Irreverent Buddhist »
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

metta fou

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2008, 01:00:40 AM »
Thank you!

Matthew

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2008, 09:24:11 AM »
You are welcome. I went to college but left and became an investment banker. Money did not lead to happiness and the distractions and desires come strongly with it's presence. The time in my life that made the greatest difference to my life direction was living in a Dhamma centre for a year and a half. Now I live in poverty and help many.

In the Dhamma,

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

kamika

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 06:22:00 AM »
So like...
I know asceticism is denying oneself pleasure and hedonism is the pursuit of pleasure.
what if some one uses an irritation in order to test what they have learned in vipassana.
like, sitting in an uncomfortable manner.
I remember Goenka said something like, one shouldn't inflict an action, such as saying OM, because it creates vibrations, because it's supposed to be a choice-less observation.

So would meditation on a bed of needles or under a waterfall or walking over hot coals be counter productive? or away to further uproot sankhara of aversion?

Matthew

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 06:32:29 AM »
So would meditation on a bed of needles or under a waterfall or walking over hot coals be counter productive? or away to further uproot sankhara of aversion?

Meditation on death, sitting in a cemetry, imagining your death and the decomposition of your body is a good way to uproot deep aversion. In a similar way you could meditate upon doing ascetic practicre without doing them I suppose but I do not think the results worth the effort. Actually meditating on a bed of nails falls into asceticism for sure .. under a waterfall sounds quite pleasant ...

In the Dhamma,

Matthew

metta fou

Razor's Edge
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 04:10:20 PM »
From Visuddhimagga:
2.   Thirteen kinds of ascetic practices have been allowed by the Blessed One to clansmen who have given up the things of the flesh and, regardless of body and life, are desirous of undertaking a practice in conformity [with their aim]. They are:
    i. the refuse-rag-wearer's practice,
   ii. the triple-robe-wearer's practice,
  iii. the alms-food-eater's practice,
  iv. the house-to-house-seeker's practice,
   v. the one-sessioner's practice,
  vi. the bowl-food-eater's practice,
 vii. the later-food-refuser's practice,
viii. the forest-dweller's practice;
  ix. the tree-root-dweller's practice,
   x. the open-air-dweller's practice,
  xi. the charnel-ground-dweller's practice,
 xii. the any-bed-users' practice,
xiii. the sitter's practice,
http://vipassanaforum.net/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=87bacf2a81663afa0ce2230da37b299c&topic=294.0z
Discipline is for the sake of restraint,
restraint for the sake of freedom from remorse,
freedom from remorse for the sake of joy,
joy for the sake of rapture,
rapture for the sake of tranquillity,
tranquillity for the sake of pleasure,
pleasure for the sake of concentration,
concentration for the sake of knowledge
and vision of things as they are,
knowledge and vision of things as they are
for the sake of disenchantment,
disenchantment for the sake of release,
release for the sake of knowledge and vision of release,
knowledge and vision of release
for the sake of total unbinding without clinging.

Parivaara.XII.2 (BMC p.1)

One question: What is meant by "explore the entire field of mind and matter" on a middle path?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 12:11:23 AM by metta fou »

Unprevaded Rapture

Re: College, asceticism, etc
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 09:16:54 AM »
space
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 06:08:14 PM by Unprevaded Rapture »

Matthew

Re: College, asceticism, etc
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2009, 10:06:22 AM »
Rapture,

I doubt you are stupid. It all depends where you want your life to go. And yes .. the computer can suck you in .. if you choose to let it ....

Matthew