Author Topic: Humble  (Read 5727 times)

metta fou

Humble
« on: December 06, 2008, 06:17:17 AM »
THIS is fascinating - it's rather dazzling to see it presented this way.

I CERTAINLY THOUGHT THIS WAS ENLIGHTENING. BEYOND OUR SUN IT'S A BIG
UNIVERSE.

ANTARES IS THE 15 TH BRIGHTEST STAR IN THE SKY ..

IT IS MORE THAN 1000 LIGHT YEARS AWAY.

NOW HOW BIG ARE YOU?
-----------------------------------------------------------------

NOW TRY TO WRAP YOUR MIND AROUND THIS.........

THIS IS A
HUBBLE TELESCOPE ULTRA DEEP FIELD INFRARED VIEW OF COUNTLESS
'ENTIRE' GALAXIES BILLIONS OF LIGHT-YEARS AWAY.

BELOW IS A CLOSE-UP OF ONE OF THE DARKEST REGIONS OF THE
PHOTO ABOVE.

HUMBLING,
ISN'T IT?

And yet,  Someone
knows how many hairs are on your head, and not
even a single sparrow dies apart from His
will (Mt. 10:29-31)!

NOW
HOW BIG ARE YOU?
AND HOW BIG ARE THE THINGS
THAT UPSET YOU TODAY?

AND
HOW BIG IS YOUR GOD?

KEEP LIFE IN
PERSPECTIVE.

AND DON'T SWEAT THE SMALL STUFF!
IT'S ALL UNDER CONTROL (Job 38)   
STILL SOME SAY THERE IS NOT A  GOD!
                           '

HOPE YOU CAN FIND TIME TO FORWARD THIS TO A
FRIEND....................

SarvaMangalam!
here are my favorite sites-
http://people.tribe.net/f7a3d649-1972-4af4-bc93-bd89e6c3c77a
http://www.gnosticteachings.org/

(from my homie David)

Thanks to Matthew for helping post this.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 07:12:28 AM by metta fou »

ravalbapu

Re: Humble
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 10:35:25 AM »
My salutations to all,
My metta,

I had read a modern poet write
" earth is but a virus in
the Universe"

Your graphic comparison is realistic and at the same time a profound poetry.
If one does not relise nirvana even after seeing this, it will be an irony.

regards, raval

Flipasso

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 06:47:38 PM »
It makes me wonder wether Nirvana has any meaning to it after all!!!
Seeing the immense hugeness, it makes one wonder what's the point of it all??

ravalbapu

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 06:59:30 AM »
Nirvana is that realisation that there is no point after all.

Is it not wonderful even if there is no POINT (pun intended)
involved?
My salutations and infinite metta,
raval

Hazmatac

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 10:53:58 AM »
ravalbapu,
Why do you think there is no point to life? Have you reached nirvana and realized there is no point? If there is reincarnation, as most Buddhists believe, then isn't the point finding out what you are? If we will always be here throughout eternity and are here to learn lessons then there certainly is a point, and that is to become a better person.

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 05:08:12 PM »
I'm agnostic about rebirth. However:

NO BUDDHISTS BELIEVE IN REINCARNATION. This is a Hindu idea, based on the constant "Atman", "Atta" or soul being "re-incarnated" repeatedly into flesh and blood form.

Buddhist REBIRTH is not the same thing at all - as "AN-Atman" or "NO soul" is a fundamental Buddhist teaching.

Rebirth and Anatman doctrines make for very messy bedfellows: what is reborn if there is no soul?

Personally I suspect there is no point to life other than that which we find gives us a sense of self and purpose - which is all ego based. So beyond ego ... maybe there is no point and you see that very clearly when you finally wake up.

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Hazmatac

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009, 07:18:31 PM »
I didn't know that Buddhists didn't believe in reincarnation. I thought that when the Buddha was meditating under the tree before his enlightenment he remembered his past lives. Also, if you're going to make the claim that there is no point to life, you should have factual evidence for it, other than that you are just making random claims which may or may not be true, which makes them theories.

Matthew

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2009, 07:53:00 PM »
I didn't know that Buddhists didn't believe in reincarnation. I thought that when the Buddha was meditating under the tree before his enlightenment he remembered his past lives.

Wikipedia on Rebirth (Buddhist)

From an interior perspective, a person who remembers or imagines a past life is likely to think of it as representing a continuity of existence between lifespans, i.e., that the same person (however defined) was formerly one person (with a certain name and body) and is now a different person (with another name and body). This perspective is objectionable from the point of view of Buddhist philosophy on two counts. First, because it seems to postulate an enduring, self-existing entity that exists separate from the elements of mind and body, contrary to the Buddhist philosophical position of anātman. Second, because it overlooks the characterization of this process as one of constant change, both within and between lives, in which the newly-arising life is conditioned by but in no respect identical to the predecedent life.

Nonetheless, the Buddha is represented using language reflecting the interior perspective in stories about his past lives in both jātakas and sūtras. For instance, "At that time I was the Brahmin, the Great Steward..." (Mahāgovinda-sutta, DN.19) or "Six times, Ānanda, I recall discarding the body in this place, and at the seventh time I discarded it as a wheel-turning monarch..." (Mahāsudassana-sutta, DN.17). This can be regarded as a concession to the needs of conventional speech.

The Buddha of the early texts does not allude to the idea of rebirth prior to his enlightenment, leading some to suggest that he discovered it for himself.

Wikipedia on Re-incarnation (The Hindu and other religions model):

Reincarnation, literally "to be made flesh again", is a doctrine or metaphysical belief that some essential part of a living being (in some variations only human beings) survives death to be reborn in a new body. This essential part is often referred to as the spirit or soul, the "higher" or "true" self, "divine spark", or "I". According to such beliefs, a new personality is developed during each life in the physical world, but some part of the self remains constant throughout the successive lives.[1]

Belief in reincarnation has ancient roots. This doctrine is a central tenet within the majority of Indian religious traditions, such as Hinduism (including Yoga, Vaishnavism, and Shaivism), Jainism, and Sikhism. The idea was also entertained by some ancient Greek philosophers. Many modern Pagans also believe in reincarnation as do some New Age movements, along with followers of Spiritism, practitioners of certain African traditions, and students of esoteric philosophies such as Kabbalah, Sufism and Gnostic and Esoteric Christianity. The Buddhist concept of Rebirth although often referred to as reincarnation differs significantly from the Hindu-based traditions and New Age movements in that there is no unchanging "soul" (or eternal self) to reincarnate.

Also, if you're going to make the claim that there is no point to life, you should have factual evidence for it, other than that you are just making random claims which may or may not be true, which makes them theories.

Personally I suspect there is no point to life other than that which we find gives us a sense of self and purpose - which is all ego based. So beyond ego ... maybe there is no point and you see that very clearly when you finally wake up.

There is no claim that "there is no point to life" in the above. "Personally I suspect there is no point to life ..." - This places it VERY clearly in the realm of personal theorising - no claim to it being fact at all. Please pick your arguments with more awareness and be careful not to attack the person you are discussing with.

The claim is not random, it is a personal suspicion based on the evidence before me now. It is not even a belief - it is clearly postulated as a theory I suspect to be true. This means I have no overwhelming evidence in either direction but the evidence of which I am aware to date points me in one direction rather than the other.

In the Dhamma,

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Hazmatac

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2009, 08:10:04 PM »
Irreverent Buddhist, I wasn't attacking you in my post. I made a mistake. I was talking about ravalbapu's post, not yours. 

Matthew

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2009, 07:57:05 AM »
Sorry if I came across a bit hard. Do you see th difference between rebirth and reincarnation now?

Matthew

Hazmatac

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2009, 09:45:05 AM »
No, I don't see how they're different

ravalbapu

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2009, 03:42:17 PM »
My salutations to Hazmatac,

Nirvana and Sansara are one.
Zero and infinity are one.

Why should my realising, or for that matter not realising, should cause you such distress?

"I" am a grammatical mistake!!!
I still hold that the pictures were humbling,
and of course life is pointless.

Care for a koan?

If you take nothing for granted,
then you are in for a mess,
for,
ultimately it is nothing that matters.

My infinite metta and regards.
raval

Hazmatac

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2009, 02:56:17 AM »
Hey ravalbapu, I think the point of life is what you make of it, despite life being either created or random. In other words, there can be a personal purpose chosen by the individual.

Matthew

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2009, 06:56:16 AM »
No, I don't see how they're different

That is exactly why I do not bother with it. Nor believe or disbelieve in rebirth. I'm agnostic on the subject and no one has ever been able to explain the difference in a meaningful way.

The doctrine of no soul is more fundamental to Buddhism than rebirth and contradicts any understanding of it as explained to me. I decided I had to wait and see, better not to focus on the issue.

Matthew

Unprevaded Rapture

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2009, 08:23:33 AM »
Mettafou, fou=crazy... that's what its all about. crazy metta!!!!!!   :D
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 08:34:13 AM by Unprevaded Rapture »

Matthew

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2009, 07:15:33 PM »
And crazy wisdom - the bedfellow of crazy metta :)