Author Topic: Meditation in the supermarket  (Read 2348 times)

Stefan

• The Marvellous Omannobazong!!!
  • love is the key
    • Vipassana (Goenka), Freestyle, Family, God
Meditation in the supermarket
« on: October 24, 2007, 10:49:15 AM »
.... inspired by a reply of Paul (hi, man!), see the topic "meditation in the morning" ...

To a certain extend, we are what we eat. And when we enter a supermarket, we enter danger zone. As I mentioned before, I studied Biology and also Biochemistry - veeeery interesting. The ingredients of food became a little hobby for me, and I am not going to bore or scare you with all those horrible details.
There is a meditative way of checking the food you intend to buy: Clear your mind, enter the relaxed-and-aware state and then hold the food onto your belly. Now you do a sort of Vipassana: check the feelings that turn up as a reaction to this food. Like Vipassana, you don't anticipate anything, you don't try and create a feeling, you just observe what's coming up. A friend of mine who is very sensitive nearly threw up once (he was checking a lemon from spain ...), but normally you get a moderate reaction that indicates wether this particular food will do you good or not.
It has to be said that your reaction is just for you. Maybe the food is good, but it creates a bad reaction because of a personal incompatibility. Maybe there's poisonous pesticides on/ in the food, but at this moment your physiology is so strong that it couldn't harm you, and you get a neutral or even a good reaction.
This way of food-testing makes your life healthier and increases your sensibility, and it makes shopping funny.
(You can also check medicine, but not on your belly. Every (medical) drug should be checked by holding it onto the area of your thymus.)
In the beginning you will perhaps be insecure about your bodily reactions, so here's a good way to practice:
Take a food that you like (a cucumber). Buy a biodynamic cucumber, and buy a "normal" cucumber (a spanish cucumber will be good, because in spain they have deficient prescriptions concerning the use of herbicids and so spanish vegetables often test bad). Hold the biodynamic cucumber onto your belly. Then clear your mind again and try the same thing with the spanish cucumber.         ... feel it? ...

If you are somewhere where you can't choose your food, then there's a way of "cleaning" it from bad energy. You meditate and send the water that's inside this food an extra portion of metta. The water will store this loving energy and compensate the bad energies of the food. (I call this the Emoto-foodcleaning-gimmick, it's a nice one!) That's why in every culture they say graces before eating.

Happy shopping & Metta, Stefan
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 01:35:14 PM by silentflute »
anicca

Jimmy Coconuts

Re: Meditation in the supermarket
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 05:20:48 PM »
That is an interesting theory.  I bet it makes shopper take a lot longer.   ;D

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2007, 06:04:44 AM »
Stefan,

This is the original "meditation in action technique" I had described to Paul and amd which he tried:

"Meditating whilst grocery shopping is a very interesting experience. generally this is a mix of Vipassana and Metta, treating every person in the supermarket with the respect you would treat the Buddha - really trying to generate that in yourself - the results can be amusing and very enlightening ".

If you arrive at anywhere near generating that level of awe and reverence for those around you in the store and act with the gentle compassion this generates whilst shopping others pick up  on it and are touched without knowing what they are being touched by.

I must say I'm rather sceptical about your "talk ro the vegetable" theory. You sound a bit like the Dr Doolittle of gardening but in the name of science I will try the next time I'm near an organic and regular cucumber ;)

In the Dhamma,

Matthew
« Last Edit: October 26, 2007, 06:05:56 AM by The Irreverent Buddhist »
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Paul

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2007, 09:32:32 AM »
Hi Stephane!  I like your concept and will test it out at home!  I am lucky enough to live in a part of the world where the local farmers sell their fruit and vegetables in the market, so it is always fresh and you get to know which farmers use the least pesticides or grow organically.  That's the advantage, but if I pick up a cucumber and put it against my stomach the farmer will probably whack me over the head with a marrow ;D that's the disadvantage! 

For the supermarket everything I buy comes out of a food processing plant anyway.  There I just try to avoid certain E numbers and products.  I think, like TIB says, the real interesting part of meditating in the supermarket is the human side: there we all are in our mundane everyday lives, doing tasks that we never finish because the next week we have to go back and do exactly the same thing again...when you think about it it's quite hellish.  Yet if you just let go of the thoughts, and just be totally there, in that instant, walking around the isles, feeling your legs moving on auto-pilot, your arms reaching out an picking what your thought process decided was the best product to take, and we're all there doing that, searching for happiness amongst the bright coloured tins and cheeses and pizzas, you can really feel compassion and metta for all these people, a real lack of separatedness.  I guess after a while you start radiating those feelings, and people around you start picking up on that.

Nothing more to say really, just try it and see!

Stefan

• The Marvellous Omannobazong!!!
  • love is the key
    • Vipassana (Goenka), Freestyle, Family, God
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2007, 05:04:56 PM »
Yes, spreading Metta is one of the main activities that will benefit the world, not only in the supermarket.

Metta!!!, Stefan
anicca