Author Topic: Arahat Video.  (Read 28056 times)

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
Re: Arahat Video.
« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2009, 02:07:01 PM »
Well said raval.

Indeed tradition is most often a betrayal of the present by it's internalisation as part of the conditioned mind one must move beyond to experience reality.

If we are to take the Buddha at his word, he said his Dhamma would die 500 years after his death. This meant there would be no living tradition which truly met his understanding nearly 2000 years ago. Now we have Buddhism that is plain theism dressed in Buddhist robes, such as Pureland, we have western fusions of New Age anything with Buddhist techniques, etc, etc. But the old traditions of Buddhism, except for Therevada in some places, are probably not the places to look for enlightened ones who you can learn from to emerge. It will be from someone working out what the Buddha did and doing it for themselves. Others approximate to the Nirbbana attained by the Buddha, they walk the path so far, yet I do not believe there is a single person alive who has done what has to be done.

Matthew
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 02:07:54 PM by The Irreverent Buddhist »
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

upekkha

« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2009, 03:24:29 PM »
yet I do not believe there is a single person alive who has done what has to be done.

Strong words Matthew..

Let me ask you this - If you were to meet a person who has done what had to be done, and were were convinced of this (hypothetically), what would you do differently?

Matthew

• Staff
« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2009, 04:29:12 PM »
Nothing.
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

upekkha

« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2009, 05:20:42 PM »
Ooops, i think I wrote my comment in a way not so coherent,

I meant - If you were fully convinced there are people out there today who have done what needs to be done, would you practice harder to attain the fruit once you knew it is available?

Matthew

• Staff
« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2009, 07:27:51 PM »
Not at all. I fully accept the fruit is available to all and any. My ego is what stands in the way of me practising harder.

I'm sitting on it to try and bring it into line :D

Matthew

Flipasso

« Reply #55 on: May 13, 2009, 05:27:20 PM »
And if someone told you they'd realizes?? How would one know if it's true??

pamojjam

« Reply #56 on: May 13, 2009, 06:23:26 PM »

I'd do it with the traditional method:

Quote from: Thana Sutta, Traits, AN IV.192 (excerpt transl. by Thanissaro Bhikkhu)

"Monks, these four traits may be known by means of four [other] traits. Which four?

"It's through living together that a person's virtue may be known, and then only after a long period, not a short period; by one who is attentive, not by one who is inattentive; by one who is discerning, not by one who is not discerning.

"It's through dealing with a person that his purity may be known, and then only after a long period, not a short period; by one who is attentive, not by one who is inattentive; by one who is discerning, not by one who is not discerning.

"It's through adversity that a person's endurance may be known, and then only after a long period, not a short period; by one who is attentive, not by one who is inattentive; by one who is discerning, not by one who is not discerning.

"It's through discussion that a person's discernment may be known, and then only after a long period, not a short period; by one who is attentive, not by one who is inattentive; by one who is discerning, not by one who is not discerning.

though I'm not sure if that is what you wanted to know..

... since this would take a long period, much attention and discerment in living, dealing, enduring adversity and discussing with that person.

kind regards..

Matthew

• Staff
« Reply #57 on: May 13, 2009, 07:12:28 PM »
And if someone told you they'd realizes?? How would one know if it's true??

If we met I would know an awake person. They need not say nor would they.

In the Dhamma,

Matthew