Author Topic: Thao n friends meditation group. Come on in!  (Read 6782 times)

thao

Thao n friends meditation group. Come on in!
« on: March 15, 2009, 05:41:30 PM »
My name is Thao, 33 from Los Angeles.  This is my thread but it belongs to anyone who wants to hang out, post, contribute in any way.  I will help with accountability, as you will help me with mine.  Log in your sits and any pertinent experiences or anything you'd like to talk about!

Meditation is great but only if you practice it.  Accountability, teamwork, and friendship that makes a difference!

Much meta.
Thao

thao

Re: Thao n friends meditation group. Come on in!
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 05:48:14 PM »
My goals with meditation are to incorporate Vipassana (as taught by Goenka) into my daily life.  I have an extremely busy schedule and an hour seems daunting to me.  I read a suggestion by Irreverent Buddhist to just focus on 10 minutes in the morning and evening and whenever I can during the day.  Also add in the 5 minute per hour breaks to the toilet to breathe at work (also by the Irreverent Buddhist).  This sounds the most feasible for me right now. 

upekkha

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 06:15:05 PM »
Hi thao,

Welcome.

I have also participated in several courses as taught by Goenka and have benefited tremendously.

For me, I practice 2 hours per day and at any moment I find I've got time (even between classes or during, if they are extremely boring).

If you cannot find the time, then obviously practice as much as you can.. even 10 mins make a difference,
but as Matthew has stated, the more you put into it, the more benefit you will get,
though this does ofcourse not mean that quantity is better than quality, but to achieve good quality a big quantity is usually necessary :)

thao

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 06:25:19 AM »
I am having much aversion to a storm that is being triggered.  I know that it just has to pass and I need to just let it pass.  I will need to build up my equanimity. 

I feel scared but that is just my attachment to the sankara.  I remind myself that there is a sensation that is at the root of this and the label I attach is a mental thing. 

I sat for 10 minutes tonight.  I mostly just did anapana as it was tough to keep focus. 

The reality of this moment is tough for me to handle.  I will just observe it to the best of my ability. 

Anicca. 

upekkha

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 11:20:08 AM »
Hi thao,

good luck overcoming that..

I find it also very helpful to notice the other 2 characteristics , dukkha and anatta,

this storm , or related bodily sensations, are a cause of suffering because of the self identification with it, are are not self, that is, they are simply a natural phenomenon. 

my 2 cents

thao

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 11:33:41 AM »
I've determined that I am going to ask the help of a friend who also does Vipassana.  She can trigger this storm and I will work on focusing on sensation.  

I woke up a while ago and I was imagining the triggering situation and definitely noticed some interesting sensations and waves of being present and not.  

Also on the tip of accepting the reality as it is, I find it easier to physically accept the reality (via sensations) than to mentally wrap my head around it.  Thank goodness for sensation.  

I'm going to start small, around comfortable friends and then branch out to strangers.  Ok off to get ready for work-volunteer.  

thao

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 11:34:17 AM »
Hi thao,

good luck overcoming that..

I find it also very helpful to notice the other 2 characteristics , dukkha and anatta,

this storm , or related bodily sensations, are a cause of suffering because of the self identification with it, are are not self, that is, they are simply a natural phenomenon. 

my 2 cents

Thanx.  What is dukkha and anatta again?

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • Buddhism is a practical psychology and philosophy, not a religion.
    • If you cling to view, you must know this limits your potential.
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2009, 11:52:53 AM »
Suffering or stress (Dukkha, Pali and Sanskrit) and lack of a self-existing soul or self (Anatta in Pali, Anatman in Sanakrit).
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

thao

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2009, 02:30:44 PM »
This is really tough. I feel crazy, crawling out of my skin.  Anxiety or whatever it is.  This is when I usually want to go party.

I just need to let this arise and pass.  There is much sensation in my diaphram, solar plexus, stomach area.  This is tiring.  I need to just stay present.  I don't want to avoid this again.

thao

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2009, 09:26:38 PM »
I just scheduled a time to have a social visit with my teacher.  My intention is to just leave it open as a visit, with no main goal (as these situations trigger me) and work at staying present with sensation as much as possible, through whatever arises.

thao

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2009, 06:14:23 AM »
I am driving myself crazy with too much on my plate.  I am drifting away from meditation and daily exercise.  Both things that only take 10 minutes a day.

I need to make some major changes. 

I am going to drop some volunteer hours at my internship.  I just can't feasibly do it right now.  Not until the end of April.  Then I will be able to give more of my time. 

I need to exercise for 10 minutes, then sit for 10 minutes.  All this before I shower and go to sleep. 

My goal is just to stick with it.  I know I'll make a small goal.  Meditate for 7 days.  That's all just a week.

Matthew

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2009, 01:22:33 PM »
meditate for one moment. repeat and rinse.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 01:22:56 PM by The Irreverent Buddhist »
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

greenhorn

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2009, 06:32:29 PM »

What doea repeat and rinse mean? :)

Matthew

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2009, 05:18:08 PM »

What does repeat and rinse mean? :)

From Wikipedia:

'Lather, rinse, repeat is a phrase that is a common part of the instructions on shampoo bottles. It is sometimes also used as a humorous way of saying that a certain set of instructions should be repeated until an explicit or implicit goal is reached, or as sardonic commentary on some people's practice of taking descriptions, instructions or expressions literally and without common sense. Often the phrase is shortened to simply "Rinse and repeat".'

I got it the wrong way round lol but the point was "rinse and repeat" just means do it again and again.

"Meditate for one moment, do it again and again."

Matthew

greenhorn

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2009, 05:57:10 PM »

What does repeat and rinse mean? :)

From Wikipedia:

'Lather, rinse, repeat is a phrase that is a common part of the instructions on shampoo bottles. It is sometimes also used as a humorous way of saying that a certain set of instructions should be repeated until an explicit or implicit goal is reached, or as sardonic commentary on some people's practice of taking descriptions, instructions or expressions literally and without common sense. Often the phrase is shortened to simply "Rinse and repeat".'

I got it the wrong way round lol but the point was "rinse and repeat" just means do it again and again.

"Meditate for one moment, do it again and again."

Matthew

Haha, thank you. That makes sense now.

thao

« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2009, 04:41:16 AM »
One wash at a time. 

I realized over the weekend that my body has a propensity to "feel" exhausted and wants to just drift into the deep abyss of sleep.  However, if I scan my body, it goes away.  I think this is a sankara.  It seems to be in my solar plexus area.  This is a problematic area.  When i had anxiety attacks before, I would instantly feel better once I cupped my hand over the solar plexus.  Interesting.

I'm going to a chakra rebuilding this weekend.  Should be interesting. 

So this morning, instead of getting up 1 hour and 10 minutes after my alarm, I got up 30 minutes after.  I started scanning my body pretty soon after the first alarm.