Author Topic: unfolding of the path  (Read 1608 times)

upekkha

unfolding of the path
« on: March 10, 2009, 04:38:59 PM »
I thought it could be nice for us to share the unfolding of the path we have experienced so far and learn from each other's experiences.

So basically we could just share which meditation practice we started with, which teachers we learnt from and what and how much we practice nowadays.

For myself, I started with sitting several courses in SN Goenka's tradition, which gave enormous benefit.
I like to sit courses in this tradition since they are donation-based, which is something very hard to find, and that all day is dedicated to serious sitting practice, you could squeeze in about 16  or more hours every day, trying to be mindful each and every second reality unfolds itself, but I also like to take long term retreats in other traditions, usually with teachers who practice according to the teachings of the late Venerable Mahasi Sayadaw and other Burmese masters, and I like to explore the Jhanas aswell for their calming qualities.

The only down-side I see to practicing exclusively in Goenka's tradition is that in order to sit much longer courses there are quite heavy requirements, and since I value long hardcore intensive retreats, I sit them elsewhere.

but in any case, anywhere I practice it is about the same, differences are quite small compared to the main aspect of paying close attention to the physical (sensations) and mental phenomena as it unfolds itself, and noticing anicca, anatta and dukkha as continuously as possible. this sure speeds things along.

I like to see the commonalities of different teachings rather than compare them, I feel that almost all teachings that appeal to me, at least intellectually, are using different words to express the same things.

At this time in my practice, I prefer to sit for a 10 or more days retreat at least once in 3 months, though I do plan to sit for several months in Asia in the coming months.

When I'm off retreats, I like to practice for a couple of hours a day, though I must say it is much easier when not working or studying full-time.

Have a nice day fellow adventurers.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 04:42:34 PM by upekkha »

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
Re: unfolding of the path
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 05:55:26 PM »
uppekha

An interesting and inspiring post. Thank you.

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

upekkha

Re: unfolding of the path
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 07:22:10 AM »
hi matthew,

I was hoping for this thread to be a place where we can share our stories of how we came in contact with Dhamma in the first place, what we went through, and what we are practicing now..

Maybe you could start? I am very interested to hear it.

:) good day.