Author Topic: Sir McCartney and the Dalai Lama's meat  (Read 7991 times)

frepi

Sir McCartney and the Dalai Lama's meat
« on: January 27, 2009, 08:30:20 PM »
London, UK -- Former Beatle Sir Paul McCartney tried to turn the Dalai Lama vegetarian, insisting the famed Buddhist was "wrong" to eat meat.

McCartney wrote to the Tibetan spiritual leader to point out that meat-eaters contribute to the suffering of animals, contradicting the latter's statement that Buddhists "believe in not causing suffering to any sentient beings".

Contactmusic.com reports McCartney as saying: "I found out that he was not a vegetarian, so I wrote to him saying 'Forgive me for pointing this out, but if you eat animals then there is some suffering somewhere along the line'.

"He replied saying that his doctors had told him he needed it, so I wrote back saying they were wrong."
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 02:01:08 AM by frepi »

Flipasso

Re: Sir McCartney and the Dalai Lama meals
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 01:36:39 AM »
WWwooowww!!!!  :o

Pretty strange post!!!

The Dalai Lama isn't a veggie?!? :o

Paul McCartney told him that he should be??? ;D

How strange...

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
Re: Sir McCartney and the Dalai Lama's meat
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 07:44:36 AM »
Most Tibetan Buddhist are not vegetarian. Many drink alcohol. Lots have wives and children, even high Lama's.

In Tibet the butchers were all Muslims so the Tibetans could escape the Karma of killing animals. They seem to have forgotten the worse Karma involved in asking someone else to murder for you.

Some of the reasons I am as blunt about faults in Tibetan Buddhism (wherein I was trained) as any other inconsistent schools.

Matthew

ps Here is what People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals say about HHDL:

http://blog.peta.org/archives/2007/06/the_dalai_lama_1.php

pps Here is HH The Karmapa's view on meat. He is "progressive" within Tibetan Buddhism in this issue. Also note the Karmapa is the spiritual head of |Tibetan people, Dalai Lama is political head.

http://www.shabkar.org/teachers/tibetanbuddhism/orgyen_trinle_dorje.htm

http://www.kagyumonlam.org/English/Lectures/20071224_HHK_Advice_Vegetarianism.html

"For example, in Tibet, in the old days there was no way to live without eating butter, cheese, and meat." This is very true.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 07:55:58 AM by The Irreverent Buddhist »
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Matthew

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 07:46:07 AM »
ps Paul Macartney is probably just trying to sell more of ex wife Linda's vegetarian food line. Makes as much out of that as music nowadays.
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

frepi

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 01:45:18 PM »
My position on this is not anti meat. However, the animals should be treated in a human way. They should live their life as normally as possible and the slaughter should be done painlessly. This means that meat prices would go up, which would be a good thing here in North America where we eat too much meat anyway.
The responsability for the industrialisation of meat production can be put on the McDonalds and other fast food corporations that always want to lower the prices of their resources. Now, the industrial slaughter houses are plants, where employees are often illegal immigrants with no health coverage and no right to form a union. Horrible accidents happen very often. This should be remembered when buying a kilo of ground beef.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 09:07:18 PM by frepi »

mettajoey

• If you follow the standard allowable path, you'll get standard allowable results
  • Share the love
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 08:50:43 PM »
I agree with Frepi on this that we should become more aware of our lifestyle habits.  Not with just eating meat but the entire food manufacturing process.  People would be far better off not eating anything processed or refined than to cut meat out of their diet.  To focus on just the eating meat part would be extremely unaware of all of our consuming habits, food or otherwise, and their effects.  Fake food is rampant in many peoples diets and causes many health problems.  Vegetarianism is not a panacea for our food lifestyle choices or even a very good one for most people especially children and pregnant women.

I have no intention of becoming vegetarian but have and will do so at times.  I do not advocate for people to do so and feel the people who are adamant about being vegetarian or just pushing their lifestyle choice just like any other belief.  I do feel we should become more aware of all of our food choices, where they come from, how they are processed, distributed and what is actually in it.
The best type of meditation is the one that you'll do

Matthew

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2009, 07:59:22 AM »
Yep. I helped kill and butcher a pig because I decided it was more honest than eating a Big Mac.

mettajoey

• If you follow the standard allowable path, you'll get standard allowable results
  • Share the love
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2009, 12:12:47 PM »
Yep. I helped kill and butcher a pig because I decided it was more honest than eating a Big Mac.

...and a lot tastier

spiceant

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2009, 10:57:26 AM »
most of the food i buy comes without any sort of packaging and tasts great without salt/sauce/chemicals.

Matthew

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2009, 07:00:04 AM »
I'm going that way spiceant. Big dietary shift being planned.

greenhorn

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2009, 05:52:41 AM »
I'm going that way spiceant. Big dietary shift being planned.

That is the way to go: fresh, WHOLE foods! no refined flours, sugars, no canned, frozen or packaged; raw, whole milk, not the undigestible skim, pasteurized and homogenized milk (that is, by the way, one of the biggest myths in western consumerism), etc

Paul

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2009, 09:56:08 AM »
Can anyone recommend a good website for recipes using unprocessed wholefoods?  I try to eat this way as much as possible, but in the context of a family life where both partents work its difficult to get the time to get organised and the meal ideas for eating this way. 

Matthew

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2009, 08:01:26 PM »
Can anyone recommend a good website for recipes using unprocessed wholefoods?  I try to eat this way as much as possible, but in the context of a family life where both partents work its difficult to get the time to get organised and the meal ideas for eating this way. 

Yes ... Google can .... I searched on your phrase "recipes using unprocessed wholefoods" and it offered a smorgasbord of options:

http://www.google.com/search?num=100&hl=en&q=recipes+using+unprocessed+whole+foods

May the Google flourish,

Matthew
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 08:01:55 PM by The Irreverent Buddhist »

mettajoey

• Share the love
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2009, 12:06:26 AM »
LOL   ;D

greenhorn

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2009, 04:00:22 AM »

HI Paul,
Are you a vegetarian? You can buy Vasant Lad's Ayurvedic Cooking for Self healing, or Harish Johari's Ayurvedic Cuisine, or if you don't like Indian cuisine, try Amadea Armstrong's cooking book (don't know title exactly).

May wholesome eatta flourish! :)
Monica

spiceant

« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2009, 10:38:08 PM »
the best recipe is 1 type of food per meal. The tastyest you can find. Bless it, chew it, thank it. Most into recipes / cooking seek to fill their stomachs as a form of addiction. The great monks are known for living on very little. (And i am sure you know that too much eating blocks meditation.)

Matthew

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2009, 12:49:47 PM »
Hey spiceant .. good to hear from you :)

Wise words as ever .. pay attention people .. this man knows things about food !