Author Topic: Dragon Meditation Spam  (Read 2227 times)

alex

Dragon Meditation Spam
« on: February 19, 2009, 10:20:18 AM »
Hey,

since yesterday I keep getting messages advertising "dragon meditation" to a email address I only used to register here in the forum. I think I may safely assume that nobody here promotes this scam. So not only the email address has leaked, but it was also linked to my personal interest. This has happened recently in other related forums.

So DON'T subscribe here or in any other forum with your real mail address. Instead get yourself a secondary email address (with gmail, or spamgourmet, see below), which you can easily discard or change in case it ends on a spammer's list.

This is a good opportunity to advertise http://www.spamgourmet.com. They offer unlimited email addresses which lock themselves after a certain number of mails. No pay, no guarantess, but has worked for me since several years.

cheerio!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 10:52:25 AM by alex »

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
Re: Dragon Meditation Spam
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 04:40:18 PM »
Somebody signed on to the forum and spammed the forum with Dragon meditation spam. I thought he had gone away but he obviously came back for the emails.

Also I had the server set to hide members email addresses.

Please do not register with false email addresses: Sometimes we make announcements to the community via email (not often but when we do it is because we want to hear what people want/think about a subject).

Matthew
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 04:51:49 PM by The Irreverent Buddhist »
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Matthew

• Staff
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 04:45:38 PM »
Checked into this.

Go to your profile immediately and check if your mail address is visible to the public. Mine was.

Alex, your email is and always was hidden to the public - you were mistaken about this. This guy joined up and culled the email addresses after I stopped him spamming the forum.

Please make sure you have a real email address on the forum.

Matthew

ps I suggest you get a GMAIL account .. none of his spam hit my inbox.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 04:47:30 PM by The Irreverent Buddhist »
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

alex

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 12:11:49 AM »
Please make sure you have a real email address on the forum.

Of course, I did not mean to promote the use of false email addresses, but of working ones. What I meant is that I recommend to have a separate, dedicated email address for internet forums, so not having to give away the main email address.

I really hate spam. Thank god (oder buddha?) this one stopped (hopyfully forever)!

greetings,
alex

Matthew

• Staff
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 09:14:56 AM »
Alex would you please edit your post to remove the part where you say the email is visible to the public - it was not visible unless you were logged in.

Thanks,

Matthew
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 09:15:27 AM by The Irreverent Buddhist »