Author Topic: Stable Bridging Steps for Mentally ill to meditate??  (Read 1690 times)

marilynhawken

Stable Bridging Steps for Mentally ill to meditate??
« on: February 13, 2009, 03:44:22 AM »
I hope there will be discussion of real stable steps. Safe steps, Buddhas steps. As i see my world, is getting scary by the day.

I compare it to the Buddist Graph, Bodies and No minds.

I hope there is help.

Many people say there is no help. I dont want to believe them. Cause i believe there is help.

Flipasso

Re: Stable Bridging Steps for Mentally ill to meditate??
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 05:08:25 PM »
Didn't understand...

Care to explain a little further?

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 01:36:06 AM »
Dear Marilyn,

Welcome to the community. It really sounds like you are struggling. We all have some very hard times so hold on in there - you can work your way through this.

There is help available - inside of you firstly, that you can access through simple calming and insight meditation. And outside - it sounds to me as if you need to do two things if you are not already doing them:

Firstly I would suggest seeing a therapist. In your darkest moments having a therapeutic relationship to fall back on is a life saver.

Secondly, meditation. I would suggest you simply find a comfortable way to sit upright (not using back support if possible) and just sit quietly paying attention to your breath. Notice the rise and fall of your belly, the air hitting your skin between the lip and nose or hitting the back of your throat - find out what feels calming to you. You can sit in a dining chair, cross legged or high up in a tree .. whatever works. The idea is to start stabilising and calming your mind. Then the fear and hopelessness will have less grip on you.

You do not need to sit for long sessions. Ten minutes two or three or four times a day will be very grounding. Don't give yourself a hard time and don't try too hard. Relax and breath and notice, just be aware of you. Don't think about things - if you find you are thinking gently say in your mind "thinking" and then return your attention to the breath.

These two things taken hand in hand - a witness to your pain (the therapist) and learning to know yourself through meditation is a very powerful combination. Neither meditation nor Buddhism are psychotherapy. In fact Buddhism has totally opposite goals to psychotherapy - however Buddhist calming insight meditation and therapy work magic together. There are many studies now showing this.

:)

Hope that is helpful,

Matthew
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 07:31:14 AM by The Irreverent Buddhist »
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

frepi

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 01:53:39 PM »
A lot of sadness in that post... :'(
Unfortunately, she might not have access to a therapist
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 01:55:50 PM by frepi »