Author Topic: Jhananda and Ecstatic Buddhism  (Read 38796 times)

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
Re: Jhananda and Ecstatic Buddhism
« Reply #100 on: June 03, 2010, 05:15:45 PM »
Jhananda needs to account for himself and stop shifting the blame elsewhere all the time. If he is incapable of doing so then he needs to admit this

And Jessica Alba needs to give me a lapdance on my birthdays, doesn't mean it will happen or is likely to happen   ;)

Want me to ask her to pop round to your place next time we're having tea?

When Jhananda returns I am sure he will wish to justify the things he has said.

Probably in a way you won't agree with, so then you respond, and he responds and so on.
I don't really see the point in that, but I hope I'm wrong.

You are wrong. There will be no back and forth. Jhananda will answer the question posed.

Warmly,

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Morning Dew

« Reply #101 on: June 03, 2010, 05:58:20 PM »
1) I admit I am hurt by Jhananda's behaviour.

This is exactly what I suspected on both of your parts  :) And here is something I am learning about meditation, about Buddhist meditation called Shamatha/Jhana/Vipassana;
I can't understand how come such seasoned meditators like your self and Jhananda can get sooooo much hurt emotionaly by another person's thought pattern wheather it be negative or positive  :) At the end these are all ideas from the mind from the thoughts.
Even if he is lost (but I do not say so) why not send towards him words of Loving Kindness, or is this only something for the begginer meditators  :)
Buddha had his path and none of us can nor will ever walk his path, wheather it was jhana or shamatha, or simple Irish dancing  ;D
"Strive dilligently for your own salvation" leave the other one alone  :)

elliberto

« Reply #102 on: June 03, 2010, 06:47:45 PM »

Sure, but don't give her mint tea. You know how turned on she gets from that and I want a real lapdance & some cuddling this time, not the hot steamy sex as usual :D

Matthew

• Staff
« Reply #103 on: June 03, 2010, 07:17:27 PM »
Morning Dew,

It's not that simple. This is a community. The rules are openly stated. Right speech is the key. The idea that Jhananda was in any way made unwelcome here before he started using unwholesome speech is 100% false.

If he can not account for himself nor admit his own faults then he is a danger to other meditators. However much everyone enjoys his tales of 40 years spent in Jhana ... it's a distraction from "Strive diligently for your own salvation" to have any person on the site who claims to be enlightened when they clearly are not.

My feeling hurt is not nice but neither is it the motive behind my asking Jhananda to "come up with the goods". I have a duty of care regarding the sanity of this place.

Warmly,

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Jhananda

« Reply #104 on: June 03, 2010, 09:16:11 PM »
Hello Matthew, I am currently in Prescott Valley, AZ, USA dealing with a mechanical problem with my van, and I found an internet café here, so I will be able to check in on the web once a day until the mechanical problem is resolved, then I do not expect to come back to town more than once a week to post a video, check email and forum dialogs, and purchase groceries.

You asked for evidence of offensive comments posted by you and your members toward me, and my work in Ecstatic Buddhism.  I just scanned the first three pages of this thread for that evidence and found 6 pages of offensive comments.  It occurred to me quoting them only repeats the offense, so I will not do so.  However, I will quote two people, yourself included, that clearly indicates that offensive comments were being made on this forum toward me and my work.
Calm down chaps. Play nice.

Matthew
upekkha my friend do not be so judgemental please. If you feel that Jhananda is on a wrong path send him your Loving-Friendliness instead rather than slaping the man.

Did Buddha care about his wife or kid?

Remain relaxed  :)
Now, none of the offended individuals were able to present canonical references to refute the value of my insights and attainments, which means the offensive responses are just Ad Hominem logical failures in the form of character assassination.  Also, requiring me to provide proof of that character assassination is only a Red Herring argument in which you are attempting to pull attention away from my premise that there is no suttic reference to support a belief that the Buddha taught meditation techniques that he called, “shamata,” and “vipassana.”  In conclusion I see that my work here will always be hounded by you and others, so remaining on this forum is only going to undermine my work.  Thus I am unsubscribing and will not return.

Anyone who is interested in having their meditation experiences contextualized, or wish to learn more about Ecstatic Buddhism, can find me and my students on the following two forums:

Jhana Support Group
website       http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Jhanas/

astro-jhana
http://astro-jhana.proboards.com/index.cgi

Best regards, Jhananda
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 12:22:08 AM by The Irreverent Buddhist »

Matthew

• Staff
« Reply #105 on: June 04, 2010, 12:21:15 AM »
Jeff,

Also, requiring me to provide proof of that character assassination is only a Red Herring argument in which you are attempting to pull attention away from my premise that there is no suttic reference to support a belief that the Buddha taught meditation techniques that he called, “shamata,” and “vipassana.”....

That is also my understanding of the teachings as I have stated before. What are you harping on about???????

Thank-you TT, for posting a reasonable response.  However, if we abandon this thread, then, since I started this thread to post my videos and express my insights and attainments, then you are asking me to abandon my work on this forum, because I have found if I post my understanding of the dhamma on any other thread on this forum I am going to encounter just as much (if not more) offensive responses.....

Please could you cross reference (quote) these "offensive responses" that you are receiving in "any other thread on this forum". As they are in "any other thread" you post in there must be a large collection of them.

A specific question was asked for a specific reason.

I see you chose not to really answer it.

However, I will quote two people, yourself included, that clearly indicates that offensive comments were being made on this forum toward me and my work.

Calm down chaps. Play nice.

Matthew
upekkha my friend do not be so judgemental please. If you feel that Jhananda is on a wrong path send him your Loving-Friendliness instead rather than slaping the man.

Did Buddha care about his wife or kid?

Remain relaxed  :)

The comment from me was to a number of people who were getting into the territory of unwholesome speech, including yourself. It is my responsibility here to make such comments - and usually I do it in a light hearted manner, as above.

The quote from morning dew is a reflection of the Bramaviharas which you clearly do not practice or understand.

What was it you said about when the castles in the sky are threatened, the weak go into fight or flight mode?

Fly little bird, fly away.
Poor tired wings flap flap away.
Wishing you the best on this sunny day.
Wishing you wake to the truth one day.

You are a Dhamma Friend as you have certainly taught me much. You failed to notice that you had something to learn from others however.

Now to the rest of you .... I have this to say:

Jhananda says some important things that are not often taught in his videos and writings here. I will not vandalise any of his work. I have made him welcome here and have learned from him. I forcefully rebutted his unfounded attacks as I knew there was something shallow about his Dhamma.

People don't fall out with every spiritual teacher everywhere - and it's always the other's fault. Just does not happen. This is his behaviour inducing such episodes and a persecution complex has followed. From that uneasyness of mind, clinging to Dhammas and wrong view.

After 40 years in Jhana any human must have transcended his ignorance, greed and hatred - or he is doing something wrong on the other folds of the path.

In Jhananda's case it seems fairly clear that he holds to a "wrong view" and fails to maintain basic precepts. He maintains in some places he is enlightened and understands the whole of the eightfold noble path. Yet he can not answer a simple question without having a sissy-fit and leaving. This after I had left the discussion for a while to cool down and made a board especially for his own video's, and made him moderator of it to show my willingness and generosity.

He was welcome here and all I wanted was for him to be self-honest about some of his own weaknesses and take responsibility for them. He could not do so. Perhaps he does not think he has any - however, he has taught all he has to teach so do not think of his parting as a loss. If you wish to follow him then do so and you will all, for as long as it is to your benefit and aid, be welcomed here in this community - as are all genuine (in every sense of the word) meditators.

In the Dhamma,

Matthew
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 12:31:05 AM by The Irreverent Buddhist »

Matthew

• Staff
« Reply #106 on: June 04, 2010, 12:39:12 AM »

Sure, but don't give her mint tea. You know how turned on she gets from that and I want a real lapdance & some cuddling this time, not the hot steamy sex as usual :D

I'm surprised she can walk when she's left here. How on earth has she got the energy to have hot steamy sex with you?????

elliberto

« Reply #107 on: June 04, 2010, 04:49:54 AM »
I'm surprised she can walk when she's left here. How on earth has she got the energy to have hot steamy sex with you?????

I guess she's just that good in handling all the liquer you put in her tea. Over here she asks for a lot of coffee though ;)