Author Topic: Talks Jill Bolte Taylor: My stroke of insight  (Read 5856 times)

mettajoey

• If you follow the standard allowable path, you'll get standard allowable results
  • Share the love
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 12:18:32 PM by The Irreverent Buddhist »
The best type of meditation is the one that you'll do

Flipasso

Re: Talks Jill Bolte Taylor: My stroke of insight
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 01:40:13 AM »
Explendidly insightful storke trip!!!

Spiral Mindscope

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 06:46:46 AM »
One could experience similar things when one is psychotic, drug-induced intoxicated state, certain severe psychological trauma-induced dissociative attacks and other acute neurological conditions such as severe migraine with seizure-related activities. The bits of the brain that were not working at full, take over with the resultant altered state of consciousness.  This goes to prove that the god-principle or the state of one-ness resides within the individual human brains rather than being and anthropomorphic god made in our own image somewhere 'out there'

Thanks for sharing this Mettajoey

SM

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 08:00:16 PM »
Great Vid Joey - Thanks.

SM - This does not prove that the state of one-ness resides in the human brain. Your logic is over simplistic. I agree that the God principle is anthropomorphic and probably wrong on the balance of probabilities.

However, if you can imagine the entire universe as a mesh or field of intertwining energies, as per the latest scientific understanding of Physics, then it is quite possible that what Dr Bolte Taylor was experiencing was a more direct connection to that energy through the depersonalisation of the loss of left brain function and immersion in the moment that she was left in.

It can therefore easily be construed that this experience is evidence towards "one-ness" - on the most absolute level of reality - and in support of the latest theories in the field of Physics.

God - probably not, one-ness - maybe.

In the Dhamma,

Matthew

For anyone who doesn't want to click a link here it is on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyyjU8fzEYU
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 08:02:09 PM by The Irreverent Buddhist »
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Spiral Mindscope

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 04:54:41 AM »
TIB

I suggest you read my response again for you have got misread or misunderstood it and rushed in your response.  I've said that god is not anthropomorphic not what you seem to have read.  Sometimes the mind does read what it wishes to.  Finally,physics cannot explain biology and its futile to try and do so, unless physicists or biologists demonstrated it.  We can merely accept the spiritual explanation of their being one energy and all immanent forms being manifestations of it.

Have a good day

SM 

mettajoey

• If you follow the standard allowable path, you'll get standard allowable results
  • Share the love
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 12:51:50 PM »
The sense of "one-ness" is an experience that the mind can generate through understanding but not necessarily prove through the limitations of science.  It is actually quite obvious once you get "it".  One can lay out much documentation and do much rationalizing but until the mind is ready to see it will not comprehend.  We can get there through many avenues but the desire for truth and learning must be there.  One-ness does not reside in the brain, it is.  The question is if we are ready to see it.
The best type of meditation is the one that you'll do

Matthew

• Staff
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 01:33:26 PM »
This goes to prove that the god-principle or the state of one-ness resides within the individual human brains rather than being and anthropomorphic god made in our own image somewhere 'out there'

I suggest you read my response again for you have got misread or misunderstood it and rushed in your response.  I've said that god is not anthropomorphic not what you seem to have read.  Sometimes the mind does read what it wishes to.  Finally,physics cannot explain biology and its futile to try and do so, unless physicists or biologists demonstrated it.  We can merely accept the spiritual explanation of their being one energy and all immanent forms being manifestations of it. 

SM

Your first post is really rather unclear and I did not rush to respond nor read into it what I wanted to read into it. The lack of clarity is perhaps why I have misunderstood you. The section I highlighted in bold implies that you do not believe in the reality of the God-principle or one-ness and the rest of the sentence structure makes the whole sentence rather unreadable.

You said this proves God-Principle is not anthropomorphic. Do you mean to say this proves God exists but that the anthropomorphic images of God are mistaken?

Your post seems to read that you think this proves that the God-principle or one-ness experience exist solely in the human brain and mere projections onto life. Is this what you mean?

Please explain better what you mean for my benefit. I find it unclear, and your assumptions that I twisted your meaning and rushed in to answer I find both to be a little bit defensive.

In the Dhamma,

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Spiral Mindscope

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2009, 06:21:36 PM »
TIB

Please read the following:  "This goes to prove that the god-principle or the state of one-ness resides within the individual human brains ..". JIll Taylor's experiences were spontaneously created after a stroke in her brain.  Whatever she experienced afterwards was related to what had happened inside her brain unless of course anyone believed concretely that the merging with the world around her meant that something outside of her had a role to play.  Point 1

Point 2: The nature of her experience is well described by her - a state of one-ness - can therefore be related to an altered state of the brain that lead to an altered state of mind and thus an altered (in comparison to most of us usually) state of human existence.  The capacity of relating to a higher superpower and the sense of being one has been variously been described as the God-principle, most notably by physicists.  It refers to a 'principle' if one could reduce the experience to that, that if present allows one to feel at 'one' with the unverse.  You can call it whatever you fancy. This principle is inside the brain/mind. God-principle is not equal to God. One needs eyes to see something.  The vision principle (the rods and cones - nerve cells inside the retina) is not equal to the objects one can see.  If one did not understand this, then rather than state that the writer's 'logic is simplistic', one could have asked for clarity before 'rushing in'.

Point 3:  Read my sentence again "Sometimes the mind does read what it wishes to." and read your own response in the context of what's written above.

I think we ought to make our views knows in relation to ourselves without insinuating that others are 'simplistic' or their notions half-baked.  Even if that is the case, such a manner of responding does not earn either friends or respect.  Otherwise one would be endlessly doing what i see is happening on these pages - people are forever quoting one another and trying to explain endlessley what they meant.  That's unhealthy, irrespective of what you think about my defensiveness ( whatever that means for i'm finding it increasingly difficult to predict what and how you think).

If you still havent got it, then sorry, I havent got it in me either.  This is my last post _ i lasted all of a week on this forum but its feeling stifling with constant interrogations about whatever one writes. 

Good luck to you and please dont send me personal messages in response to this.

SM

Matthew

• Staff
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2009, 12:33:02 AM »
SpiralMindscope

Enjoy life and I wish you the best. I won't read your reply or try and understand it because you are pretty rude and insulting in your tone, clearly think yourself superior and do not make sense.  Your logic is simplistic and incomplete and I did not rush in. There is no point troubling myself with it. This is why you get questioned on things - if you don't want to be questioned then write with more clarity. You stifle yourself with nonsense.

In the Dhamma,

Matthew