Author Topic: advice when sick/physical pain  (Read 1652 times)

mobius

• vipassana
advice when sick/physical pain
« on: June 23, 2022, 01:05:38 AM »
What's best for when one is dealing with physical pain? I recently got covid and despite this variant being "not as severe as the previous ones" it seems to be hitting me pretty hard. An extreme fever for some reason just puts me over the edge mentally. I feel like I'm being tortured, I can't sleep; laying awake feeling like I'm in a furnace and going insane. The problem isn't only covid clearly as I sometimes struggle to deal with other physical pain I have to endure; some of it without any cure.
"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • Buddhism is a practical psychology and philosophy, not a religion.
    • If you cling to view, you must know this limits your potential.
Re: advice when sick/physical pain
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2022, 02:41:01 PM »
Sorry to hear you are dealing with pain mobius. The current variants can be just as bad as earlier ones: people are still dying from it.

Pain can be very debilitating. I know as I live with chronic pain. It can be hard to cope at times. Bringing mindfulness to the situation you are in can help. You may find it hard to sleep at times. What I've noticed is that when I indulge the story in my head about how bad it all is, I can't sleep or rest. When I notice that story and let go, just stay with sensation, it's easier; I can sometimes get to sleep that way, noticing the feeling of the bed supporting me, allowing things in without judgement. At other times sleep eludes me, yet the same approach allows me to rest, even if I can't sleep. Your 'background' level of mindfulness - that which you have cultivated in daily life - has a significant impact on the success of such strategies.

Ask yourself next time you are struggling to sleep what stories you are playing to yourself with your thinking, with your processing of sensation. What purpose do these stories serve? - do they have wholesome or unwholesome qualities? Examination leads to insight/understanding and this leads to diminishing the power the stories hold over you.

I wish you peace, and a good night's rest and sleep.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2022, 12:09:42 PM by Matthew »
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

dharma bum

• Certified Zen Master (second degree black belt)
    • vipassana
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2022, 02:26:54 PM »
I have a very strong conviction that 'being aware' in the worst case scenario such as when you're in pain is a golden opportunity for meditators. Anybody can meditate when the belly is full, conditions are comfortable and you're on vacation. But when your mind is scrambled from pain and discomfort, then the awareness that is practised helps you more than ideal conditions. The Buddha, Gandhi, Jesus all underwent life-threatening episodes (fatally in case of Jesus). I think it helped them.

I am aware that the theory is easy to say but very hard in practice, especially when one is suffering from chronic pain. But in times of temporary pain, I'd say I have tried to practise awareness, and I can say with certainty that it has helped. But in what way it has helped is hard to say. I was sick for a couple of days last week and for several days a couple of years ago. Because I practised awareness, I have a very clear memory of my suffering. I know the pain came and it went. I think it helps me remember that there is suffering in life, and some day I will die possibly with a lot of pain. I think it also helps me in having a realistic attitude towards the suffering of others.
Mostly ignorant

Thanisaro85

• When thoughts, sensations, feelings arise,know it
    • Reverend father Jaran, Pramote. Theravada
    • Still breathing.
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2022, 04:34:10 AM »
Sorry to hear that, its like 1 week had passed, hope you getting better now.

Can u seperate name and form in meditation? It requires some focusing strength and patience.

For instance, there is a numbness in your feet while at sitting meditation, shift your consciousness to the numbed area, keep "staring" at it until it disappear. Watch it burst into a white mist.

Do this for your type of pain, if there a few area where pain happened concurrently, choose the most prominent one.

This is only applicable when you are at a place where you can rest.

I tried to use a few techniques including this at dental clinics and i failed miserably. 

Else, the correct herbs or medication is your fastest route.😉
A Mind Unshaken, when touches by worldy matter, sorrowless, secure and dustless, this is the ultimate great blessing~ Mangala Sutta