Author Topic: Deeper state  (Read 1034 times)

chazbc

• Who are you?
    • Theravada
Deeper state
« on: May 25, 2022, 05:58:47 AM »
I have been meditating for about 4 years now and I have reached the point where I am experiencing the stillness, that is no thought intrudes on my mind while I focus on my breath.
About a year ago something unexpected happened that frightened me. I had the feeling I was loosing control, slipping into a deeper state, it didn't help much that my eyes were closed and everything was dark; with my eyes closed I fought back, to get back in control, actually fought.
My Buddhist monk friend told me this was a process of losing self or forgetting my identity. And I am wondering, does this have to happen suddenly?

Dharmic Tui

• Something
    • Some Theravada, some secular
Re: Deeper state
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2022, 12:45:35 PM »
Is 4 years sudden?

It can be fairly confronting switching your mind off, or at least viewing yourself from another perspective. I would say over time your practice should blossom as you become more at ease with this.

mobius

• vipassana
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2022, 12:42:28 AM »
I myself as well, and from what I read a lot of people go through a long phase of "sitting and nothing appears to happen" then suddenly something happens. And I have read and believe that in actuality, there's a lot happening in the background during those years of sitting and "nothing happening" you're just not aware of.

I also went through very frightening stages (and likely still have many more to come). But I wouldn't trade those experiences for anything, even though some of them were/seemed really horrible at the time. It showed me that there was more to life and lead me down this path I wouldn't have known otherwise.

imo; one way of considering the whole "loosing control" aspect is to realize you never had control to begin with  ;) Control like everything else, I believe is an illusion, a construct or idea we create.

What are you fighting back against? I think I went through similar process and would probable fight again now but instead I work slowly toward a gradual acceptance of it. Though I've been in quite a slipping neglectful state this past year... :(
"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Thanisaro85

• When thoughts, sensations, feelings arise,know it
    • Reverend father Jaran, Pramote. Theravada
    • Still breathing.
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2022, 06:01:16 PM »
Deeper state during meditation ?  Do you think you can remember the details? Maybe you would like to elaborate more?
A Mind Unshaken, when touches by worldy matter, sorrowless, secure and dustless, this is the ultimate great blessing~ Mangala Sutta