Author Topic: Questions  (Read 240 times)

SulmonF

• Who are you?
    • College
Questions
« on: January 05, 2022, 12:15:46 AM »
Hey guys I started to getting into meditating because someone told me I should try it out. I am very stressed during tests and exams. Please let me know what I should do so that I am not so stressed. Thank you

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • Buddhism is a practical psychology and philosophy, not a religion.
    • If you cling to view, you must know this limits your potential.
Re: Questions
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2022, 06:59:08 AM »
I taught university students and staff meditation to reduce study and workplace stress using this method:

https://www.vipassanaforum.net/forum/index.php?page=2

20 minutes twice a day, or 30 minutes once a day, as a minimum, is a good guide to see results. You can do this practice whilst commuting on the bus or train, at home, or wherever. It's good to be creative about finding a regular time, though perhaps the best results come from sitting in the morning after you shower, and in the evening half way between supper and bedtime.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2022, 03:51:17 PM by Matthew »
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

stillpointdancer

• stillpointdancer
  • Retired teacher, deepening understanding of Dharma
    • Insight meditation
    • Exploring the results of 30 years of meditating
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2022, 04:23:21 PM »
Hey guys I started to getting into meditating because someone told me I should try it out. I am very stressed during tests and exams. Please let me know what I should do so that I am not so stressed. Thank you

Meditation is useful in that it can de-stress you. On the other hand it depends why you are stressed during tests. I found that my lack of memory recall was stressing me, so I studied memory techniques. They solved the problem and made tests enjoyable. I still meditated though.
“You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet, still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet.” Franz Kafka

mobius

• vipassana
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2022, 11:59:56 PM »

Meditation is useful in that it can de-stress you. On the other hand it depends why you are stressed during tests. I found that my lack of memory recall was stressing me, so I studied memory techniques. They solved the problem and made tests enjoyable. I still meditated though.

I've struggled with poor memory and test taking as well; could you elaborate on what techniques helped you?
"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain