Author Topic: Did anyone else get an ...off-color email?  (Read 243 times)

Katia

• none specific
Did anyone else get an ...off-color email?
« on: October 14, 2021, 01:13:22 AM »
I got an email from "middleway@vipassanaforum.net" that made little sense but was rather sexual in nature.  Anyone else?  I assume bots or did something get hacked?  The bottom of the email made it seem like it was an "announcement."

Middleway

• Just be a witness.
    • Vipassana as taught by Mr. Goenka - Switched to Shamatha
Re: Did anyone else get an ...off-color email?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2021, 02:03:33 AM »
I got an email from "middleway@vipassanaforum.net" that made little sense but was rather sexual in nature.  Anyone else?  I assume bots or did something get hacked?  The bottom of the email made it seem like it was an "announcement."

Sorry, I had nothing to do with those mails. The site seemed to have been hacked.
Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Siddharth

• unlearning, relearning and letting go
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2021, 06:20:57 AM »
I suspect matthew posted that message and made it an announcement by mistake, or perhaps it is also like that there are some security breeches on matthew's account. Perhaps he will clearify this soon..
And what is good, Phædrus,
And what is not good...
Need we ask anyone to tell us these things?

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2021, 06:44:00 AM »
It wasn't hacked, I was drunk.

I'm sorry.
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Alex

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2021, 09:13:24 PM »
It wasn't hacked, I was drunk.

I'm sorry.

I've not had much mental space these past months to post on the forum, but I really wanted to say I respect and appreciate you just as you are, Matthew, maybe even a little bit more right now.
Also, is it okay that this made me smile? ;)

Much metta
Alex

Middleway

• Just be a witness.
    • Vipassana as taught by Mr. Goenka - Switched to Shamatha
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2021, 09:29:53 PM »
You are very kind Alex. Not to stir up a debate or discussion but not all the members who received those emails may feel the same way though!

I am certainly not impressed that some emails have gone out on my behalf!
Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

dharma bum

• Certified Zen Master (second degree black belt)
    • vipassana
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2021, 02:17:27 AM »
Yes, while Matthew to his credit did the right thing by apologizing, we must express our support to Middleway and everybody who received unwelcome emails. We are all meditators and can move past this with appropriate lessons learnt.
Mostly ignorant

raushan

• S. N. Goenka switched to Samatha Forest Tradition
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2021, 10:05:13 AM »
I was bit worried about Matthew's balls  ;D. Matthew How are your balls now?  :D :D
“The man who knows that he lives in a prison will find a way to break free of it. But the one who believes that he is free while being imprisoned will remain imprisoned forever.”

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2021, 10:22:13 AM »
I have apologised to Middleway about this being sent in his name.

What started as a drunken joke accidentally got sent out.

I apologise to everyone.

.. except Alex and Raushan who want to laugh.

It's fine to be offended, it's fine to laugh.

Life is a messy thing. People are messy. We are all works in progress. Sometimes we do dumb things.

Well, that was my fifteen minutes of fame.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 11:28:21 AM by Matthew »
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Alex

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2021, 08:28:46 PM »
We are all on this path so that we can grow beyond our own conditioned feelings and perspective.

Something interesting I learned/noticed for myself is that I automatically identified with the person who is confronted with himself in such a way that it was exposed for a lot of people to see and discuss. As I’ve been working with shame in my personal process, this inclination does not surprise me.

The smile I felt was a warm one, recognizing the foolish things I’ve done in the past, and will probably do again at some point. In which case I hope someone stands out to me and says “It’s okay. You’re okay.” These are my needs off course, maybe they’re not shared. I also wrote that smile-comment from a desire to lighten the mood. There was also a little teasing in there if I’m honest, I feel weird now that it may have been perceived as such more then I intended.

I feel that expressing one perspective does not exclude another but I'm sorry if my doing so has made anyone feel discredited in their perspective or feelings.
Conversely, I do invite (challenge?) others to experiment how much they are able to take the other perspective as fully and compassionately as they can.

Because, after all, we are on this path so that we can grow beyond our own conditioned feelings and perspective.

Kindly
Alex

dharma bum

• Certified Zen Master (second degree black belt)
    • vipassana
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2021, 04:14:12 AM »
The thing about being drunk is that what you think of as hilarious when you're drunk doesn't seem nearly as funny when you wake up the next morning. :)
Mostly ignorant