Author Topic: Hosting coming to end  (Read 626 times)

raushan

• from India
    • S. N. Goenka switched to Samatha Forest Tradition
Hosting coming to end
« on: July 21, 2021, 01:21:25 PM »
The hosting service again coming to end. And to continue the forum we need to pay a certain amount. But We want to vote that do we really want this forum to be continued?

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
Re: Hosting coming to end
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2021, 02:31:43 PM »
There's £67.45 in the donation pot which will cover a year hosting and domain fees. It might be worth editing the post to make it an announcement Raushan - it's in the extra options and will email all registered users.
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Dhamma

• May we all fulfill our deepest wish for happiness
    • Vajrayana/Qigong/Theravada
    • Everything is somehow just fine!
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2021, 04:27:22 AM »
I will donate money if any is needed.

Peace and enlightenment. :)
May we see the emptiness of all phenomena

Middleway

• Just be a witness.
    • Vipassana as taught by Mr. Goenka - Switched to Shamatha
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2021, 02:01:09 PM »
The hosting service again coming to end. And to continue the forum we need to pay a certain amount. But We want to vote that do we really want this forum to be continued?

Like all other phenomena, this forum is also subject to impermanence. Let it continue its existence until impermanence catches up with it.
Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

dharma bum

• Certified Zen Master (second degree black belt)
    • vipassana
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2021, 02:56:52 PM »
I can contribute too, if I can figure out the logistics of making the payment.
Mostly ignorant

mobius

• vipassana
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2021, 04:19:09 PM »
I am also willing to make a contribution if someone can explain to me how.

paypal would be my preferred method; I'm not sure how else to do it.
"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Matthew

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2021, 08:55:55 PM »
Thanks to those offering to contribute. We're OK for this year I think with what's in the kitty. I'll let you know if otherwise.

The question I think Raushan is asking us whether there is an appetite to continue the forum. We closed to new members a few months ago as we had hundreds of spammers signing up - this made managing new members a high workload for the team. Since then we had a disruptive member who was eventually booted for being abusive. That always hurts interaction here, and many long-standing members haven't logged in for quite a while sadly.
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Siddharth

• unlearning, relearning and letting go
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2021, 10:19:29 PM »
the question to be asked in my opinion is, is there any tangible harm in continuing the forum?
Yes we have closed the forum for new members, and the forum isn't as active as it once used to be, but it acts as a place for some long time members to talk about meditation and how it affects their life. the repository of past posts also acts as a helpful resource for some in times of need. activity is not the only measure of usefulness as I see it. given that there isn't much harm or maintenance need from this forum, I feel it's existence might serve some in the future and it's utility isn't yet diminished to the point of no return.
Meditation often manifests as a boring and difficult tasks and most people discontinue even after establishing long term practice, similarly a static group of people find themselves repeating themselves over and over again on a forum like ours and thus tend to become inactive. The pandemic has also played it's part, I feel.

Anyways, at this point my opinion is to continue the forum until it demands for it liberation from existence. till then, sporadic posts on how's life in the meditation lane been is something I am personally content with.

Metta and love to all,
Siddharth
And what is good, Phædrus,
And what is not good...
Need we ask anyone to tell us these things?

raushan

• from India
    • S. N. Goenka switched to Samatha Forest Tradition
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2021, 11:44:34 PM »
Yes it is helpful to have the forum. Let's continue for now as it is. Later we will see if we can change anything. But for now it's fine as it is.

The few members who are still active here I guess they find it useful. There is definitely value in meditation.

May we all get enlightened.

Middleway

• Just be a witness.
    • Vipassana as taught by Mr. Goenka - Switched to Shamatha
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2021, 01:52:22 AM »
Also, the website is browsed by at least 100 guests at any given point in time.
Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

mobius

• vipassana
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2021, 01:33:14 AM »
its up to you guys in the end. I for one hope it keeps going. I've learned quite a bit of amazingly helpful info here in the past; I would be quite sad to see it closed down.
"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Matthew

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2021, 12:47:40 PM »
its up to you guys in the end. I for one hope it keeps going. I've learned quite a bit of amazingly helpful info here in the past; I would be quite sad to see it closed down.

As people have already kindly donated enough to cover this year's costs we're not going anywhere. I'll pay the invoice later today.

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts and reflections.

Matthew

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2021, 05:31:42 PM »
All paid up for another year :)

Thanisaro85

• When thoughts, sensations, feelings arise,know it
    • Reverend father Jaran, Pramote. Theravada
    • Still breathing.
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2021, 03:43:36 PM »
I can chip in too .  I believe just a couple of us here can pour in some amount to get this forum going, at least for next year and when needed.
A Mind Unshaken, when touches by worldy matter, sorrowless, secure and dustless, this is the ultimate great blessing~ Mangala Sutta

Matthew

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2021, 05:24:34 PM »
I can chip in too .  I believe just a couple of us here can pour in some amount to get this forum going, at least for next year and when needed.

Thank you Thanisaro,

This year is all paid up, and thanks to a very uncommon poor customer service call with the host today, most of the money for next year is in the pot already (they refunded the year's hosting cost in full).

It looks like the universe is conspiring to make sure we stay online :D

Kind regards,

Matthew