Author Topic: Total concentration and visions  (Read 217 times)

Lerxst

• Busy studying
    • the satipatthanas
    • on year-long retreat
Total concentration and visions
« on: June 01, 2021, 11:37:13 AM »
Hi,

I have been meditating intensively now for a year - a year long retreat as it were.

I find it now quite easy to drop into total concentration on the breath. Then I can step bacl and just watch. It's easy to keep up with what happens because there is not a lot happening.

Recently I have seen visions, always accompanied by a purple light. These are not just visions however - I can often verify them. I can assure you I am not trying to create anything (I'd know that). It is paired with a sense of simply "knowing". I can't explain it.

The most amazing one was the first one: I saw a man in a hood and his face was in shadow. I was wondering if it might get scary when he threw off his hood. He was a Chinese Buddhist monk and he was laughing as if he was having a joke with me. At this point I felt a lot of love from this man. Then came the "knowing" part. I knew he was thinking of Ceylon and he kept thinking about a number: 1600. I remember thinking Ceylon is now SriLanka and what is a Chinaman doing in SriLanka?

Afterwards I looked it up. I wasn't expecting a result. The first thing I found was the 1600th anniversary celebration of a Chinese Buddhist monk who walked all the way to Ceylon to retrieve Buddhist texts to translate into Chinese. This was the start of the spread of Buddhism in China.

Then I read of this:

"Anuradhapura was the seat of government for over 1000 years and is the spot where Buddhism first gained importance on the island of Ceylon in c. 260 BC. As a result, the area contains many ruined Buddhist shrines and monasteries as well as royal palaces and other related ruins. Seen in this watercolour are 1600 columns, all that remains of the Brazen Palace, which was once a nine storey palace with room for 1000 monks and attendants"

There is the number 1600 again. I have never heard this story at all. In fact I never read stories about the Buddha at all - I have a copy of the Sattipatana Sutta and that's it. I'm interested in the techniques, not the man or the history.

Now, after my daily meditation, I can go into this super-concentrated state and the purple colour is always there and I see many other things - clear as crystal. I am not aware of physical sensations at all during this time - normally there will be an itch or a pain and many thoughts but these all disappear. I can "return" when I want. When I "get back" I really love being in my body again - it feels familiar.

Mind states and emotions etc are different every day so I start in all sorts of moods. However, these are all changed when it ends - I am very level-minded. That goes away after a while but emotions/dhammas rarely get negative now.

Anyone else have this?   

I'm sure I will be told I'm hallucinating every day or that it is not real. Most things I see/feel are verifiable. Today I got a vision of an 8-pronged star. Turns out to be the buddhist symbol for the 8-fold path. Not everything is Buddhist-related. But always something new and often it has me reading about things I never knew existed. It has got so accurate that I am confident now I'll find something of interest. The details are uncanny.

Thanks

Alex

Re: Total concentration and visions
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2021, 11:29:46 AM »
Hi Lerxst

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

I'm sure I will be told I'm hallucinating every day or that it is not real.

Seems like you allready had some counterproductive discussions about those experiences, maybe online, maybe irl.

I then ask myself "How can this thread be a meaningful conversation?" And this makes me wonder about your intentions or expectations… Why start this thread? What are you looking for?

Kindly
Alex

dharma bum

• Certified Zen Master (second degree black belt)
    • vipassana
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2021, 04:48:29 PM »
Monks in the East don't wear hoods typically. The images could simply be some combination of things read, maybe movies (the hood might be from Star Wars?). When I am in long retreats (I've been to a couple), a fun exercise is to try to work out where the images in my brain come from. Usually, I can figure out the source, but sometimes I can't. I usually ascribe them to memories long forgotten, or maybe something to do with the brain's normal tendency to make narratives out of what you see.

I know there are some traditions that incorporate visions, dreams etc, and there are legends and myths, but IMO in its original form, Buddhism is not a mystical philosophy.
Mostly ignorant

Lerxst

• Busy studying
    • the satipatthanas
    • on year-long retreat
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2021, 07:20:56 AM »

Seems like you allready had some counterproductive discussions about those experiences, maybe online, maybe irl.

I then ask myself "How can this thread be a meaningful conversation?" And this makes me wonder about your intentions or expectations… Why start this thread? What are you looking for?

Hi Alex,

I have not engaged in any discussions on any forums about this. This is my second post, ever. I work alone.

In answer to your question to yourself "How can this be a meaningful conversation?" that's up to you to answer. My intention was to share it and ask if anyone had the same experiences. My expectation was that I would be told that my experience is rooted in hallucinations.

What am I looking for? Enlightenment.

There are more questions than answers in your post really but thanks nevertheless for your reply

Lerxst

• Busy studying
    • the satipatthanas
    • on year-long retreat
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2021, 07:28:59 AM »
Monks in the East don't wear hoods typically. The images could simply be some combination of things read, maybe movies (the hood might be from Star Wars?). When I am in long retreats (I've been to a couple), a fun exercise is to try to work out where the images in my brain come from. Usually, I can figure out the source, but sometimes I can't. I usually ascribe them to memories long forgotten, or maybe something to do with the brain's normal tendency to make narratives out of what you see.

I know there are some traditions that incorporate visions, dreams etc, and there are legends and myths, but IMO in its original form, Buddhism is not a mystical philosophy.

Thanks for your answer. I have also not aware of monks wearing hoods but then again I am not a monk and don't wish to copy anyone copy . The man in the vision was joking when he did that. Star Wars was exatly what I thought myself when I witnessed it - but the joke I described exposed that he knew I'd associate the image - that was why it was funny.

I do not follow any traditions and find them irrelevant to my quest which is enlightenment. I use only the sattipattanha sutta as guidance - it is the path to enlightnment. I do not read about the Buddha's life or the myths - these are completely irrelevant to me.

Thanks for your answer.

Lerxst

• Busy studying
    • the satipatthanas
    • on year-long retreat
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2021, 07:31:05 AM »
Thanks for your answers.

Let's close this now.