Author Topic: Procrastination ...  (Read 316 times)

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
Procrastination ...
« on: April 20, 2021, 08:38:53 PM »
Procrastination is a bastard. I've been paralysed by it for a week. I think it's to have a rest from going through the grief.

I can always have that fight tomorrow, so says procrastination  :D

What do you find helps if you hit the wall of "why do now what you can put off until tomorrow"?
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Middleway

• Just be a witness.
    • Vipassana as taught by Mr. Goenka - Switched to Shamatha
Re: Procrastination ...
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2021, 09:22:37 PM »
I say to myself that I will do this one small thing (relating to the task I am procrastinating) and get started. Before I know, I find myself in the middle of it enjoying working on it.
Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Thanisaro85

• When thoughts, sensations, feelings arise,know it
    • Reverend father Jaran, Pramote. Theravada
    • Still breathing.
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2021, 02:42:00 AM »
I went thru 3 weeks of agony and i sort of give up on myself momentarily,  is this procrastination as well? Living in betrayal whole of my bloody life.....ah...hatred arises...
A Mind Unshaken, when touches by worldy matter, sorrowless, secure and dustless, this is the ultimate great blessing~ Mangala Sutta

Matthew

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2021, 01:15:19 PM »
Thanks guys. I needed a break from dealing with the grief that was arising, yet I'm not giving myself a hard time about it. At the same time I can still pick myself up and do the dishes, go for a walk, etc.
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

raushan

• from India
    • S. N. Goenka switched to Samatha Forest Tradition
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2021, 11:59:34 PM »
I guess the better question would be why do we procrastinate? As we know there is cause and effect relationship. I try investigating it unsuccessfully. But I am sure we can reach that state where we won't be bothered at all by procrastination.

It's all very confusing. I feel laziness can arise for a genuine reason and also just for an imaginary reason. It's important to discern when it is what.

Matthew

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2021, 01:33:15 PM »
I guess the better question would be why do we procrastinate?

A very good question. In this immediate circumstance my answer is that I needed to control the flow of grief that felt overwhelming. I've achieved that now. I can play some more with it.

As we know there is cause and effect relationship. I try investigating it unsuccessfully. But I am sure we can reach that state where we won't be bothered at all by procrastination.

Yes! I'm reading about Adlerian philosophy/psychotherapy at the moment, and have found one of Adler's central tenets to be very empowering. It somewhat turns the cause and effect relationship on its head compared to how we usually view it.

The attitude is that any behaviour we engage in is to meet a current goal we have chosen (perhaps not consciously). So, being depressed and staying at home, for example, may achieve the goal of not risking social rejection or awkwardness.

That doesn't deny the past, as the past is a conditioning aspect of the present (in this case it might condition the fear of rejection), yet it does bring focus into the present as the locus of where we can take action; where we can choose to be different, whenever we want..

This choosing to be different is simply a matter of seeing how current goals help or hinder us; and then changing the goal to one which is more beneficial (wholesome).

It's all very confusing. I feel laziness can arise for a genuine reason and also just for an imaginary reason. It's important to discern when it is what.

It is confusing. With this current book I'm reading I am gaining a new and different perspective, another lens to look at things with. I find it quite profound. Too long I've defined myself by conditioned past - and that has become a prison. I feels as if someone has given me a key ...

The book is "The Courage to Be Disliked" by Ichiro Kishimi. It can be downloaded as a PDF from here at no cost.

raushan

• from India
    • S. N. Goenka switched to Samatha Forest Tradition
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2021, 03:20:10 AM »
Hi Matthew,

I have also started reading this book. Yeah, it's really giving a different perspective. And I can't refute what is written there. It's a different way to think. Thanks for sharing this book.

Raushan